U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-03-2010, 07:32 PM

169 posts, read 301,677 times
Default Realistic Entry Level jobs for Finance graduate

Hello,

To anybody who may know, what is a realistic entry level job for someone who has a bachelors degree in finance? Yes, that person is me. I have not graduated yet, but I will be in June. I already work full time, but I am a technician for a communications company. I want a career change and finance is something that naturally interests me. Basically, what kind of job can I get with no finance experience but a degree in it? I am a family guy who is married with one child, not a trust fund baby looking for a handout. I'm having trouble finding anything with my situation! Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-03-2010, 08:41 PM

995 posts, read 704,586 times
Is the communications company a big company? I would first ask your HR department what may be available and try and apply internally with your current employer.

Unread 12-03-2010, 08:47 PM

131 posts, read 326,397 times
do you have another bachelor in IT or something working as a technician right now? a technical background is better than finance nowadays

Unread 12-03-2010, 08:51 PM

443 posts, read 631,541 times
thats crazy, im in a similar situation. i work full time in logistics and i do weekend and online courses. I am pursuing a degree in economics and im also interested in the finance side of things. im not as close to graduating as onthegrind is but id still be intrested in the responses.

Unread 12-03-2010, 08:54 PM

4,996 posts, read 1,808,253 times
Do you have any aptitude for financial planning or counseling people about finance? Retail investment sales at a bank or brokerage, life insurance companies, and mutual fund companies are always looking. Loan officer trainee is another natural fit. Don't turn your nose up; these products and services fill a valid need, and the connection between you and the customer is worth money.

There are no big-bucks desk jobs just waiting to be filled by inxperienced holders of a BS in Finance, but your degree is a ticket to the bottom rung of the ladder. Where you go from there is up to you.

I was in the same place about the same place 30 years ago. After paying my dues, and a lot of struggling and juggling, life really got interesting--and nice. I'm not rich, but have a boat at my lake home and spend large parts of winters on the gulf coast, going down Bayshore Blvd in the convertible to see the sun set over the water.

Best of luck to you and StreetBa.

Unread 12-03-2010, 08:57 PM

17,580 posts, read 16,134,026 times
Possibly an entry level treasury or FP&A role.

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:27 AM

240 posts, read 365,587 times
from a state university?? Honestly in this economy I'd say Teller or Financial Sales "adviser" trainee programs at places such as Edward Jones.

The odds of getting the kind of job you think you're going to get at a company doing financial tasks with no real proof of experience is slim unless you already work there or know someone that works there. That may sound bad, but trust me. You have a degree and no proof you're good at doing financial work for a company. You're competing with people that do.

Unread 12-04-2010, 10:46 AM

629 posts, read 646,810 times
To be real with you stay where you at. You have a kid and married you can not afford to take a finance job. Most financial jobs you would be in line for would be commission only. You might be able to get a low paying trainee job somewhere. But you will have to beat 100 guys to get it. I know a finance grad he is working at Burger King for 8 months. Good state university but in this economy he will be there awhile. And things are going to be bad for years to come. So do not leave a job that pays your bills unless it is a real big payday.

Unread 12-04-2010, 04:53 PM

169 posts, read 301,677 times
Thanks for the responses everybody. I do not have an IT degree to be the technician i am now... i am getting paid way below what i used to. I am making under 15 an hour. I work for Comcast, which is a Fortune 100 company, but the rate i am making is not even enough to survive, especially here in South Florida. I guess my best bet is to try and get a finance position with this company or just try and break in somewhere else. Has anybody else been in this situation where they are trying to switch careers? While not having experience in what you are switching to?

Unread 12-04-2010, 05:54 PM

445 posts, read 563,808 times
Kind of there myself. I will have a BA shortly (not finance). I was planning on grad school to fully change careers; however, one of my children has developed a med condition. So, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with the career. My old career pays less now than it did 8 years ago. I'm hoping to take the new degree, plus my prior work experience, and get into retail management. I'd say take a look at Target and Walmart and see if they have something for you. Starting salaries are in the 40s for a BA degree. I'm also networking and exploring all kinds of outside the box options. The best advice I can give is be open and flexible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment