Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 10:41 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times

Advertisements

You really want to do that job?

I think some of you glamorize certain positions. I am not a coder, but I know a few of them, and they all work at different facilities, and they are pushed to complete so many charts in a certain amount of time with nearly NO errors.

A lot of this is going to EMR, Electronic Medical Records, so when a physician puts in a diagnosis, etc., it automatically codes it.

A lot of this work was shipped offshore, like medical transcription work too.

One friend's boss told their department that if she could outsource their jobs overseas to save the hospital money, she would. That's pretty nervy, and tells you where the stability lies in such a field.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:50 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,735,637 times
Yes, I know, this is an old thread...but this post just irks me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
You really want to do that job?

I think some of you glamorize certain positions. I am not a coder, but I know a few of them, and they all work at different facilities, and they are pushed to complete so many charts in a certain amount of time with nearly NO errors.

That's pretty much the nature of the work. Supervisors with a clue will take difficult or lengthy charts into consideration when determining if a coder is meeting productivity standards (which are expected and normal in the industry).

Coding Errors = Billing Errors = Claim Denials...Overpayment/Underpayment...Fraud Investigation

Quote:
A lot of this is going to EMR, Electronic Medical Records, so when a physician puts in a diagnosis, etc., it automatically codes it.
EMR/Electronic Medical Records. Helps to understand exactly what they are, and then how they relate to coding.

Just as it was before EMR, coders work from the medical record. Doesn't matter if it's paper or electronic. While there are indeed some physicians who utilize automatic coding software, this is generally for THEIR fees (professional).

Other automatically generated codes occur in some Emergency (or other ancillary) departments, using preprinted (or computerized) charge sheets, generally for CPT and HCPCS codes (procedures, labs, medications/infusions). Human coders then take over and enter them straight from the sheets after checking the information against the actual chart and the entered charges in the system.

On the hospital-fee side, the EMR is simply a substitute for the paper charts we once worked with. Nothing new. All the codes are keyed in after complete chart analysis.

Quote:
A lot of this work was shipped offshore, like medical transcription work too.

One friend's boss told their department that if she could outsource their jobs overseas to save the hospital money, she would. That's pretty nervy, and tells you where the stability lies in such a field.
You know, I've heard this "coding is all being offshored" meme for going on 5 years now, and I'll be damned if I've seen but one (1) out of the 20 or so facilities I've worked with even try it out...and after that brief trial, they dropped the experiment like a hot potato.

The offshore coders COULDN'T CODE. Appallingly bad. Turnaround time was pathetic. Their staff spent more time rechecking the codes and correcting the multitude of errors than it would have taken if they'd coded the charts themselves in the first place.

Doesn't mean some facilities or smaller physician practices won't do it at some point, but there is absolutely NO indication that it is a growing trend, nor a current or future threat to coders here in America.

Last edited by rayneinspain; 05-05-2012 at 02:04 AM..

Old 10-22-2013, 01:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
My aunt is a nurse where she works they have sent most of it to India. It is one of the many things sent overseas. Along with your x rays and tons of other work.

I agree with you most of billing process are sent to overseas. main to India because there are more billing companies in that country. they provide an outsourcing to healthcares

Old 10-22-2013, 09:59 AM

4 posts, read 5,286 times
Default Waste of time inthis area

I also got certified recently but have given up on finding a coding job in this area. I think in much larger cities it might be a better idea but definately not in the Charleston area.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:09 PM

15 posts, read 31,717 times
This is what my degree is in well, part of it, and it is very hard to find jobs. I've had so many interviews but they won't call me back. Granted, I have not graduated yet, but will be in June of 2014. They want people with experience in the field, but i thought that was what school was for?? I know it can be frustrating.. Im in the same boat, I was told this job field is expanding more and more everyday, with alot of opportunities, but yet i get nothing. I'm a loss of what to do.. I have to pay like $35,000 to get this degree, and it seems like a waste of time!

Old 03-15-2015, 09:46 PM

58 posts, read 84,718 times
I'm glad I saw this thread. I was thinking about getting into it but wasn't sure what I'm against: already experience people in the health field and outsourced. SMH....never fails...

Old 03-16-2015, 08:59 AM

185 posts, read 196,142 times
Coding is the field to be in as far as I am concerned. I am a medical transcriptionist and all our jobs have been outsourced. But the coders are still in high demand..... If you go to the right school (I have heard lots of good things about The Andrews School) and get the right certification, CCS at LEAST, you will probably find a job. I am being laid off in the next few weeks and I plan to go into coding, lots of medical transcriptionists are making the switch.

And yes, I know its an old thread but I think that coding IS a good choice for some people.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:42 AM

67 posts, read 58,806 times
I have been self-employed as a medical biller for the past 10 years and while billing for big hospitals and clinics have been outsourced to India, the majority of small to mid size physician practices do not send their billing to India. They have in house billers or they outsource to a medical billing company locally. Over the years I have provided in house billing and consulting services and worked with start up new medical practices and make a comfortable living. I work on average 30 hours per week and can take time off whenever I want as I love to travel couple of times per year, it enabled me to buy a house 7yrs ago and save money, so for me this is a good career/business It is much harder to get into the field now without any experience. I work from home on my accounts and when I get too busy I have a part-time biller who assists me. Right now I am looking to add another side business in healthcare so I have multiple streams of income

Old 03-16-2015, 12:08 PM

185 posts, read 196,142 times
can you share what other side business you are looking to add?

Old 03-16-2015, 02:09 PM

67 posts, read 58,806 times
I went back to school to complete my undergrad degree in Health Admin and in meantime I am getting certified as a health/wellness coach and I am already certified as a Reiki Master/Karuna Reiki and will be volunteering free reiki to get practice in for a few months and then I want to offer health coaching and Reiki.. Their is a huge demand in DMV area for holistic services and I have many contacts and have been offered to share office space to do these things by the summer time so this will be my side income. I am looking to devote perhaps 10-15 hours per week only. I do not want to overextend myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment