Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 27,249 times

Advertisements

I am only 4'7".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 11:05 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
ah, yeah ... thats probably even a bit short to waiver in.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:14 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren15 View Post
I am only 4'7".
Yikes and I thought I was short. Buy some REALLY tall shoes. Tall people tend to be perceived as more competent.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,879 times
Quote:
I graduated in May 2009. I have not been able to find a job because of my lack of work experience. I had a 3.88 GPA with my BBA in Business Management; however, I have never had a job. I wish I could go back in time. I would have completed a couple of internships. I have been applying to retail, fast food, and Americorps with no avail. I can’t even get a call back. Temp companies want at least 1 employer. I called places in my town to volunteer but I always get they do not need any help. It is a small town. I cannot afford to go out of town just to volunteer. I would go back to school; however, I want to get experience first. Any suggestions?
I very curious to know how if you've already landed a job because I'm in a very similar situation as you. I graduated in 2009 but in December. Like you, I lack work experience. Right now, I still don't have a job.

My parents didn't work while they were in school and only started working after college. This was not in the United States though.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:08 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Please don't go back to school, a masters degree with no work experience=overqualified, which means you will have even further trouble finding work. You could probably look into joining the military as an officer, you could also try security guard work as a stop gap. 17 months is an awful long time to be out of work. You are a female, you could look at being an exotic dancer, those guys are ALWAYS hiring.

How are you overqualified with no work experience.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:36 PM

386 posts, read 1,051,887 times
I know what you recent college grads are going through. I graduated in 2008 with a BA in history in Orange County and found it hard to get work. I eventually went to Fry's electronics where they would hire anyone, and got some work experience there. Management jobs are hard to come by, as they all want management experience at entry level...go figure.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:35 PM

243 posts, read 1,629,746 times
OP just stay positive. When I graduated from college back in 2007, I just played the temp agency circuit. Spherion, Adecco, Manpower, etc....They should be able to work with you and I do not recall them mentioning the "you must have at least 1 employer" requirement like you mentioned earlier (although, Ive had several jobs since I was 15). I finally got a permanent job 3 years later, lol, and it still doesn't pay too awesome, but at least it comes with benefits. Sometimes you have to settle for less. I doubt my current position (Mortgage CSR) requires a college degree but I can still handle my rent, insurance, car note, bills, etc etc, while I'm looking for better opportunities. Best of luck....

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 03-17-2011 at 11:31 AM..

Old 03-17-2011, 12:43 AM

398 posts, read 1,365,377 times
Quote:
I am only 4'7".
It's unfortunate, but I think height discrimination might be a contributing a factor to your difficulties... hopefully, you will find an employer who is more enlightened since you are obviously very intelligent graduating with a 3.88 GPA.

If going back to school can help you with obtaining internship positions for work experience along with another degree, i don't see why you shouldn't do it if you are able to afford it.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:27 AM

115 posts, read 567,819 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the advice. I will see if my schools career service office might be able to help.
I thought about the military; however, I do not meet the height requirement.
I was thinking about being a cna; but, you have to pay for classes to become certified.
I agree going to grad school without experience would just be biding time. But I might be able to at least get a job on campus which would help. I don't know what to do. I will see about that Ohiogirl22.
A cna makes about 10 dollars an hour at the most.

Have you tried the Federal Government? I know they hire people with college degrees without any experience.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:47 AM

86 posts, read 295,118 times
Search outside your hometown and even out of state. I'm a few years graduated from college with also a business management degree and have been working admin jobs here and there. In my area/hometown there's not many jobs for young 20 somethings unless you're in the medical field or military.

I've just recently started looking in bigger cities like San Francisco, DC, NY and I really wish I would've looked that those cities years ago. There's just a ton of opportunities in major cities for young fresh out of college grads. I see a bunch of companies just looking for fresh grads and internships. While you're still young take the risk and dont limit yourself to your hometown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment