Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 04:41 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times

Advertisements

Woman with bad credit sues UM for revoking job offer - Business Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/06/1960665/woman-with-bad-credit-sues-um.html - broken link)

This is pretty horrible. Just what you need when you are down and out, someone deciding if you should have a job based on your credit score. I hope that this woman wins her case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 05:11 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
I hope she loses, I think employers have every right to use credit history to make decisions on potential employees. Medical issues are one thing, but if you see a consistent pattern of irresponsible behavior then sure why not.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:01 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
Companies have been looking at credit records for years, especially for anyone in a managerial position. Another thing that can get you in trouble is your driving record. Particularly if you are a sales rep - because, even if you drive your own car, you are on company time which makes them liable. Reps who had 3 or more tickets on their record could be fired.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:14 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Exclamation Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Woman with bad credit sues UM for revoking job offer - Business Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/06/1960665/woman-with-bad-credit-sues-um.html - broken link)

This is pretty horrible. Just what you need when you are down and out, someone deciding if you should have a job based on your credit score. I hope that this woman wins her case.

I hope she wins her case, too, unless...she signed agreement allowing UM to
run her credit as a precursor to being hired. If she agreed, she has no leg to stand on. If she did not sign any such agreement and they pulled it w/out her knowledge I hope she takes them to the cleaners. I, personally, never allow potential employers to run my credit. Regardless of my score, it is none of their business. I ask a simple question before walking away from the interview, of course...'Will my clean credit history provide me with a higher pay offer?'...I've never had anyone tell me yes.
Koale

Old 12-09-2010, 06:29 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
Running credit checks are becoming more and more standard and all it does is hurt the long term unemployed.

Many of the jobs I apply to require a criminal background check, but not a credit check.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:44 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Running credit checks are becoming more and more standard and all it does is hurt the long term unemployed.

Many of the jobs I apply to require a criminal background check, but not a credit check.
I thought I had read something that because of the economy and many peoples credit tanking they (The gov) was going to step in and have this scaled back to only certain jobs...like handling money, book keeping

Personally I think it's a blatant invasion of privacy and should only apply to certain types of jobs.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:46 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Regardless of my score, it is none of their business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Personally I think it's a blatant invasion of privacy and should only apply to certain types of jobs.
That is a weird angle to me. Many employers do criminal history checks, isn't that none of their business? Previous salary, none of their business? GPA in college, none of their business?

If you have a good credit history it is something to be proud of, I can't fathom refusing a job offer, which has a much bigger impact on your day to day life, on the basis of it being none of someone's business.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
If a person isn't responsible enough to manage their own finances, how can they be trusted to be responsible on the job? I hope she loses this case.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:08 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If a person isn't responsible enough to manage their own finances, how can they be trusted to be responsible on the job? I hope she loses this case.
Pretty hard to manage those finances, when you're long-term unemployed & barely scraping by on UI benefits... there simply isn't enough money to go around, so they have to make minimum payments on everything that allows such a thing - thus the balance to payments ratio is becoming larger, and credit scores will fall. So how do people get ahead on their bills if they can't get a job?? Quite the conundrum, huh?

P.S. Luckily they don't do credit checks in my field (as far as I know), so it hasn't been an issue as of yet.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:12 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Oh, and unless you work IN finances, how does poor financial planning necessarily equal bad employee? I've always been lousy with managing money, but I can answer any reference question you put in front of me... which of those qualities matters more in being a reference librarian? And do you care if that amazing doctor who saved your life (hypothetically speaking) has a high AmEx balance, because his wife has a shoe addiction? I certainly don't care.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-09-2010 at 07:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment