Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:11 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlib View Post
I would absolutely take the job! Long term job security is invaluable. I believe working for family should be listed as a benefit, not a downside.
Oh woops, I thought to mention it in both categories... could be possible good sides and downsides.

My cousins husband now works for him too, and is now the VP. I would say his salary is around 300-400K a year, so there is definitely some growth potential, but he has been there 10 years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 07:12 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I lived all over the world and I don't regret it. Everyplace has it's good and bad points. Escaping winter in Chicago would be a plus for me. But if you like cold, with that salary you could take a winter vacation to Colorado if you wished. Jobs like that don't grow on trees and if I could deliver and the business is solid, I would take it in a heartbeat.

If your GF loves you, the two of you will find a way to make it work. Does she have a career/job that would be viable in Florida? If she relocates, will she lose a lot of money? Perhaps the best option would be for her to stay put for a year or so and visit back and forth. Would give you a chance to make sure the job is what you have been led to believe and concentrate on your career. If things don't work out, you can go back to Chicago. Your GF would also have a chance to get to know Florida and scope out the jobs available for her. She would also have time to tie up all her loose ends before moving.

COL is pretty decent in FL. You would be making very nice money there and you could afford a lot. Nice homes are reasonable and almost everything is cheaper. But the money you save on heat would be eaten up by AC costs in the summer!

Old 12-09-2010, 07:19 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
How old is your uncle and do you think down the road he might sell the business?

The reason I ask is I have a cousin whose wife still works for her father's business that he sold several years ago.

Her father had it written into the sales agreement that she keep her job. She has, but it has been several years and the new owners moved the business from Glendale, CA to southern Orange County.

She still has the job, but an awful commute.

It sounds like a good opportunity and an excellent salary by FL standards, you just want to make sure in 2 yrs he isn't selling the business.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Yours to weigh but if you know your uncle well enough to trust that he trusts in you to do a good job and deliver - and if you feel you can deliver in return - then go for it. You say that it's a job which is not your forte but I certainly wouldn't view that as a negative. I've worn many varied hats in my long life thus far and have learned so much because I've always accepted a challenge. Your experience in some other area is probably something which can segue over to a different venue.

If the GF "thing" is any sort of an issue or a deal breaker then that's the way it is. If you think, as you said, that a move on your part could lead to a breakup then that bond isn't very strong, right? Take that issue to the CD relationship forum!

I would seriously look into the "family business" to ensure that it's viable and healthy before you commit.

Good luck!
I just don't think she likes the idea of being in FL...been there done that once before.

It isn't a mom/pop family business it is the largest business of its kind in the southeast, for what that is worth. It's a solid job...think it is around a 400 employee company. Making the change over or whether I want to go that route in my life is the big decision.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Perhaps the best option would be for her to stay put for a year or so and visit back and forth. Would give you a chance to make sure the job is what you have been led to believe and concentrate on your career. If things don't work out, you can go back to Chicago. Your GF would also have a chance to get to know Florida and scope out the jobs available for her. She would also have time to tie up all her loose ends before moving.
That is the verdict about now. If we do it for me to go solo and her to keep job in Chicago and I'd keep paying the lease until it is up in June then decide where to go from there. Still a lot of details to be ironed out but that is definitely one option.

I grew up in FL so I am pretty aware of the pluses and minuses. She doesn't know it very well though, if at all... only in one city and FL can be different place to place. Having a big income I would imagine can make some places seem much better.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:05 AM

79 posts, read 220,190 times
Don't work in a family business, because family and business don't mix and family members can take advantage of you. I have worked in a family business for about 7 years now, and I can honestly tell you that I will never work in a family business again.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:20 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If you think, as you said, that a move on your part could lead to a breakup then that bond isn't very strong, right?
I actually think it would be a good test, as only a potentially long-term relationship would survive the separation. Case in point, my sister took a job across the country when she & her boyfriend had been together a few years... she stayed for a year, missed him to pieces, and came back to eventually marry him (married for 6 years & have 2 kids now). So it could end up going that way, or you could end up loving the job more than the old girlfriend - won't know unless you give it a shot! Just my two cents, take 'em or leave 'em.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:54 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,591 times
I'd take it in a heartbeat, if only for the reason that there is nothing better here right now..
As far as the GF goes.. I'm not sure.. but it would be a test of commitment..

Old 12-11-2010, 11:32 AM

550 posts, read 1,355,358 times
I heard the construction industry was hurting in Florida (a few years ago it was really bad). That is something you might want to think about but the opportunity sounds really great. I work in construction/engineering and an opportunity like that can do wonders for a person's career.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:28 PM

323 posts, read 939,749 times
I've definitely softened my standards for where I'll work after having such a hard time finding work for the last 6 months. I would like to stay in the Midwest region to stay close to family and friends (and it looks like I will at this point), but I ultimately I will go wherever I need have to find stable work. I wouldn't want to move someplace that I feel I would be utterly miserable living in, but if I felt the job opportunity was worth it I'd be willing to make some compromises. While I understand that leaving a relationship would be hard, I think a good salary like that would be worth it to take the job for 2 or 3 years until things get better and find the job you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment