Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 10:35 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,054,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
That's probably not a good idea. It;s pretty easy to see money and control are what you need to have if you want effect change. Not, protest signs, etc.

Have you run for office lately? Have you opened a manufactering business in the US?
Ummm, that is really not a good argument.^^^ I don't think you read my post, or you did not comprehend what I wrote.

I said protest what you believe in. It is better than complaining in your living room. As money and power have influence, protesting is the poor mans way. Americans are content to sit in their houses watching TV, complaining about how the system screwed them over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 10:43 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
I think it's important to get the terminology correct. "Outsourcing" means to hire an outside company to gain efficiency or effectiveness. "Off-Shoring" means to send jobs outside a the country.

Outsourcing is a good thing. It lets a company gain an advantage through expertise and cost cutting. If that outsourcing happens to be off-shored, it's debatable whether the side effects are good.
Totally. We have an outsourced mail room at my office. The mail people still work in the the mail room, however they are run though a company that isn't ours. They threw us an ice cream party when they started.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:23 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Very interesting and informative thread. I've been thinking about what we buy and concluded that we generally try to buy the best product at the best price ... and, try to buy American Made, wherever the quality is closely equivalent. We drew the line years ago at American-made automobiles that look great, but have a shorter, built-in 'planned obsolescence'. But, it seems American car quality is improving and we would gladly go back). Foreign manufacturers are also getting better -- there was a time when the imported Japanese products were really junk, but that changed dramatically .. in response to what American consumers would buy! -- Now, most of the 'Japanese' cars have American manufacturing plants ... and still build better vehicles at a highly competitive price (perhaps the problem isn't entirely labor rates where things are made).

I'm not sure where 'Outsourcing' leave one who is intent on 'buying American(?) - What about products that are produced elsewhere or using foreign-made parts, and/or final assembly and a specified percentage of parts done in the U.S. -- so they can be labeled "made in the USA" -- And what about 'outsourced service' of American-made products?

I'm going to pay more attention to where the products I buy are made in the future. But, it seems that the problem is much larger than 'Whether I buy American or foreign-made designer socks.' I read that the current balance of trade deficit with China is somewhere in the $500 billion range! We are probably going to need some legislatitive, consumer and manufacturing support on this one!

Old 12-11-2010, 11:28 AM

935 posts, read 2,411,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I said protest what you believe in. It is better than complaining in your living room. As money and power have influence, protesting is the poor mans way. Americans are content to sit in their houses watching TV, complaining about how the system screwed them over.
I agree, one of the few ways in which you can make change is through protesting, especially if you can get your story on television. It doesn't have to be a violent protest either. Last year, politicians tried to eliminate the public transportation system that would cause hundreds of people to lose their jobs in my region, not to mention the hundreds of elderly and disabled individuals who have no other way to get to the hospital or store. People tried petitions and talking at town meetings, but the government officials kept saying no.

So, a group of individuals got together and started contacting radio stations, newspapers, and television news stations. One of the news stations came down and did an entire report about how hundreds were doomed to lose their jobs and end up without proper medical treatment b/c they would lose their ride. The day after it aired, the town government "miraculously" found enough money in the budget to fund the transportation system for another year. Was that so hard?

I saw some of the protests in Europe and sometimes I wonder why we don't get nearly as excited here. I'm not talking about killing or hurting people, but why not make a very important scene like the Ireland protest for the bailout or the kids in England who protested the staggering rise of tuition rates? Heck, when France had a protest about their retirement age going up, that Larry King looking guy on CNBC said, "Those French people are protesting because they're lazy! They have 5 weeks vacation, universal health care, lower retirement ages, etc."

Maybe it's a waste to time to some, but at least it occasionally sends a message to the U.S. Government that the American people (the actual ones, not the ones that so many politicians claim to know ) are not afraid to stand up and fight.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:21 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,837 times
Quote:
I get your point that people just want to sit around and complain. But, trying to convince others to make changes is still lazy.

People need to get off the a$$es and change the world by doing, not complaining. Protesting just says you want something changed and you're willing to give someone else power over you by *asking* them to change it.

A poor man can change his situation by taking action to making money.

Complaining (either at home or in the street) just makes a person feel better.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:08 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,054,582 times
Quote:
I get your point that people just want to sit around and complain. But, trying to convince others to make changes is still lazy.

People need to get off the a$$es and change the world by doing, not complaining. Protesting just says you want something changed and you're willing to give someone else power over you by *asking* them to change it.

A poor man can change his situation by taking action to making money.

Complaining (either at home or in the street) just makes a person feel better.
Completly disagree. That is a failed argument time and time again.

Change the world by doing everything huh? If you don't like something, you just get elected office, convince the congress, house, senate to pass the bills you like, and there you go...Wow, I never knew it was that simple.

Please. You don't seem to live in reality.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:42 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Having a security clearance almost guarantees your job stays in the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
John should have gone into the health care industry. Then he would see lots of products manufactured in the U.S. on a daily basis. At my doctor's office, just about all the medical equipment was made in America.
I see alot of these types of simplistic answers that show a smug attitude towards people who are unemployed due to being laid off from the manufacturing sector.
BTW:
Health care is NOT an industry. It is a service and adds little to our economic growth, GDP, and tax base.
Also, getting a security clearance allows you to do what?
Help the "War on Terror" or the DHS? If so then count me out!

Old 12-12-2010, 12:12 AM

499 posts, read 1,528,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
John used to make $55/hour gluing bumpers onto Fords in the 1980s but then he lost his job when the bumpers fell off. His union sued Ford, claiming John's three 45 minute breaks and one hour lunch were insufficient for him to overcome the stress of the job. While John was making the big bucks he bought himself a 69 inch TV on credit along with a bass boat, two jet skiis, and a trailer - with a $100K HELOC.
Eventually, John decided it would be a good idea to get his GED so he could be promoted to manager. The long hours took their toll on his family so his wife finally left him for the boyfriend that thought she resembled the women she read about in the supermarket checkout magazines.
Gimme a break......

So are you putting down the industry, organized labor, or the auto workers themselves?

Apparently you don't have any idea what goes on in an automobile manufacturing operation or in the auto parts industry.

And if you do then you should know better.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:02 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,743 times
Charles I agree a security clearance will almost always get you a job. I have a buddy engineer who works at a air force base has clearance. Yes I am sure he will never get laid off but it is a fed job. Thus no one ever gets laid off anyway. So everybody is going to be an engineer and get clearance. BLS reports say we will need 250k worth of engineers over the next ten years. That is only 25k worth a year that is nothing when you have 30 million underemployed or unemployed people.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:29 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,837 times
Quote:
Change the world by doing everything huh? If you don't like something, you just get elected office, convince the congress, house, senate to pass the bills you like, and there you go...Wow, I never knew it was that simple.
No, I'm not suggesting you change the world by doing everything yourself. But, complaining (protesting) how someone else does things is laziness. If you think you have a better idea, take control. But, don't sit around and complain about how everyone else is doing things.

For thousands of years people have complained and waited, complained and waited. But, very little gets changed with that approach. Everyone who has had an impact on history has gotten off their butt and made changes by leading (doing). Yes, they need help to get some of the work done.

I think this is part opinion and view point. I'm not trying to convince you to do anything you don't want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment