U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 12:29 PM

4,445 posts, read 3,789,361 times
Default Is it cause I got fired from my last job?

I've been noticing a pattern. Most applications where I have had to put why I am no longer at my last job, I don't hear back (I don't know what else to put, besides "terminated, mis-communication") . But when I only submit a resume, I hear back almost always. When I have to explain at interviews why I was terminated (yes, I try to turn it into a positive each time), I don't get the job. I didn't do anything horrible to get fired, it was just a fluke on my end that I definitely learned from.

The few times I have gotten a call back even though I listed "terminated" on my application was at Borders and a credit union here. I got the interview at borders and the guy said my last termination was not a deal breaker, didn't get the job though. The credit union called me and left a message saying they had questions (no mention of setting up an interview), I called them back and had to leave a message. Instead of them calling me back again, I got my rejection email.

Its only been a month since I lost my job, but I'm studying for finals between all of this and I feel like I'm wasting my time when I should be studying harder since everyone's rejecting me left and right anyways.

Regardless, is this all over the only termination I have ever had, out of many jobs that I have had with a graceful separation over the years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 01:33 PM

24,021 posts, read 12,967,382 times
It's that word, "terminated." It is really a harsh word. You might want to find some softer terminology to put. 'Not condusive to my schedule," "Ill-fit," or something.

I don't advocate lying on your resume, but understand by law a previous employer can only verify that you did indeed work there and the timeframe you worked there when another employer calls and cannot say why you no longer work there.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:24 PM

935 posts, read 1,398,971 times
Not necessarily, but if you can find another way to phrase it instead of saying "terminated" it would be better. I was laid off at my last job and still managed to find a pretty decent job after 6 months. I live in a rural town and kept being told I was "overqualified" because of my degree. Some employers do judge others based on who was fired, but if that were the case then more people would probably be unemployed. Just hang in there and keep working on your studies while trying to find work. I know it took me a while, but I eventually found a pretty good job. It's a tough economy with a lot of competition, but hang in there.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:32 PM

2,795 posts, read 1,645,855 times
In my opinion, terminating or being terminated from an at-will employment relationship should not have any business stigma or liability. You may want to bring up that point whenever you know you are not getting the job simply because ignorance of the law is no excuse. However, it is an "employers market" and they do have plenty of other willing labor market participants who may be "more" qualified.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
In my opinion, terminating or being terminated from an at-will employment relationship should not have any business stigma or liability. You may want to bring up that point whenever you know you are not getting the job simply because ignorance of the law is no excuse. However, it is an "employers market" and they do have plenty of other willing labor market participants who may be "more" qualified.

Well, in theory and law that may be the case, but it's not reality and no one will ever tell you it's because you were terminated from your previous job.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
Not necessarily, but if you can find another way to phrase it instead of saying "terminated" it would be better. I was laid off at my last job and still managed to find a pretty decent job after 6 months. I live in a rural town and kept being told I was "overqualified" because of my degree. Some employers do judge others based on who was fired, but if that were the case then more people would probably be unemployed. Just hang in there and keep working on your studies while trying to find work. I know it took me a while, but I eventually found a pretty good job. It's a tough economy with a lot of competition, but hang in there.
Being laid off isn't the same as "terminated' and I don't think that has any sort of stigma, does it? But ya, I'm hanging in there. One of my friends parents owns a dunkin donuts franchise and they're nice enough to let me work there and I appreciate their gesture, but they can't pay me what I was making so I don't want them to have to go through training me, knowing that as soon as I find something better, I'm out. That, and its mortifying to have to take a fast food job when I've never had to.

Thursday-I could use those other phrases, but when I get to the interview, how do I explain "ill fit" or "not conducive to schedule"?

Old 12-10-2010, 03:23 PM

Thursday-I could use those other phrases, but when I get to the interview, how do I explain "ill fit" or "not conducive to schedule"?

I was just pulling some terminology out of my rear end as an example, you sort of have to find something that suits your situation and can be explained. If I wasn't suffering from a headache at the moment, I'd probably be able to pound out a few good words for you.

Ill-fit would mean the job just wasn't for you and/or the employee culture just wasn't fitting for you. Schedule conflict or not condusive to your schedule would easily be explained that at the time that position's hours conflicted wiith your school hours. You don't have to say if you quit or were terminated.

I'm sure I can come up with something more suitable though.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post

I was just pulling some terminology out of my rear end as an example, you sort of have to find something that suits your situation and can be explained. If I wasn't suffering from a headache at the moment, I'd probably be able to pound out a few good words for you.

Ill-fit would mean the job just wasn't for you and/or the employee culture just wasn't fitting for you. Schedule conflict or not condusive to your schedule would easily be explained that at the time that position's hours conflicted wiith your school hours. You don't have to say if you quit or were terminated.

I'm sure I can come up with something more suitable though.
I thought about using the school scheduling conflict as my reason since I was fired for doing homework because I didn't have other time. My only concern about that would be if they were to call that employer and they hear "not eligible for re-hire", would that raise questions as to what REALLY happened and then disqualify me from the position?

Old 12-10-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I thought about using the school scheduling conflict as my reason since I was fired for doing homework because I didn't have other time. My only concern about that would be if they were to call that employer and they hear "not eligible for re-hire", would that raise questions as to what REALLY happened and then disqualify me from the position?
Shouldn't be an issue. Quitting a job can make you just as ineligible for rehire as being terminated. Just don't tell them you did homework at work though.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:27 PM

2,795 posts, read 1,645,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post

Well, in theory and law that may be the case, but it's not reality and no one will ever tell you it's because you were terminated from your previous job.
How is someone supposed to be able to bear true witness at an interview; if that person is being judged on that for-cause basis, in an alleged at-will interview for an employment relationship?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment