Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2017, 04:49 PM

41 posts, read 55,014 times

Advertisements

If you are a self-employed CPA, would you mind answering a few questions: 1) how did you get started, 2) would you do it again or recommend this path to younger CPAs, 3) did you make a sufficient living/accomplish your financial goals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 04:57 PM

285 posts, read 225,066 times
Do something else.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sol View Post
Do something else.
Thanks. Why do you say that?

Old 08-18-2017, 06:17 PM

285 posts, read 225,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocpa22 View Post
It's because public accounting sucks. Trust me.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:26 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocpa22 View Post
Solo CPA's are like sole electricians or most any other solo practitioner.

There's something wrong with them that prevents them from "playing well with others"
That's why they aren't part of some BIG firm or partnered up in an up and coming shop.
---

Anecdotes about the 1 in 10,000 exceptions are just that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4N_UkHyBvc

Old 08-18-2017, 07:27 PM

Interesting perspectives so far. For clarification, I worked at a big four firm before so I know what the public accounting environment is all about. And as for the sole practitioners, aren't there tons of successful lawyers, accountants, dentists and other entrepreneurs who prefer not to work in a "BIG firm?" I never thought of them as not being able to play well with others. I've just thought of them as people who value their freedom.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:37 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times
I am not a solo CPA, so I don't have experience from a practice perspective. But from a client perspective I love my CPA. I specifically looked for a solo or someone in a tiny practice because I wantrd some one affordable for my family's personal finances. I will say that I suspect the big risk especially coming from a background of the Big Four is that you have to be able to develop your own client base. That is easy for some, not for others. I love my CPA, and he is definitely not someone doing it because he can't get on well with others. But he was born and raised in Tampa, and I was referred to him by my financial adviser, who went to high school with him. His father tis also a CPA and they share office space. So he has a sort of built in client base. So if you are considering going from Big Four to solo I would think the biggest question you need ot ask yourself is whether you have the network and constitution to develop your own clients. I am in a similar position but a difernet profession. I am an attorney who previously worked for a top Boston firm and now is inhouse for a public company. But I know myself and could never hang out my shingle as much as I would love to have that freedom. To me the slavery of having to develop cleints in a town where I did not gorw up and do not have much of a natural network is worse that the slavery of having an employer.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I am not a solo CPA, so I don't have experience from a practice perspective. But from a client perspective I love my CPA. I specifically looked for a solo or someone in a tiny practice because I wantrd some one affordable for my family's personal finances. I will say that I suspect the big risk especially coming from a background of the Big Four is that you have to be able to develop your own client base. That is easy for some, not for others. I love my CPA, and he is definitely not someone doing it because he can't get on well with others. But he was born and raised in Tampa, and I was referred to him by my financial adviser, who went to high school with him. His father tis also a CPA and they share office space. So he has a sort of built in client base. So if you are considering going from Big Four to solo I would think the biggest question you need ot ask yourself is whether you have the network and constitution to develop your own clients. I am in a similar position but a difernet profession. I am an attorney who previously worked for a top Boston firm and now is inhouse for a public company. But I know myself and could never hang out my shingle as much as I would love to have that freedom. To me the slavery of having to develop cleints in a town where I did not gorw up and do not have much of a natural network is worse that the slavery of having an employer.
Thanks for the response and I agree with your points. I work at a public company now as well and don't think I have the skills/network to go solo at this point. If I did this, I imagine I would start a small firm and then transition out of that. By the way, I love the Tampa area - gulf coast of Florida is where it is at!

Old 08-19-2017, 06:12 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
...from a client perspective I love my CPA. I specifically looked for a solo or someone in a tiny practice
because I wantrd some one affordable for my family's personal finances.
This raises the question of how complicated a families finances could be to really require a CPA.
But if you're happy then good for you.

But it also points out how limited the range of professional capacity is available
when working with a solo anything... they really must specialize or stay very shallow.
Depth or breadth... you can't expect both from a solo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment