Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 03:29 PM

588 posts, read 2,828,940 times

Advertisements

There's a big difference between deserving a job and a legal mandate to be given a job.

Lots of people probably do, in fact, "deserve" a job; they're punctual, educated, they work hard, they interact well with others, etc. etc. But that doesn't mean they should be required to be given a job.

What would happen if we implemented this policy and there were not enough jobs to go around for all those people who demanded them? Do we just make up jobs and pull money out of our arse (i.e. taxpayers) to pay them?

Humans deserve life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness; for everything else, you're on your own.

I can't believe this question was even asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 03:46 PM

219 posts, read 562,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
There's a big difference between deserving a job and a legal mandate to be given a job.

Lots of people probably do, in fact, "deserve" a job; they're punctual, educated, they work hard, they interact well with others, etc. etc. But that doesn't mean they should be required to be given a job.

What would happen if we implemented this policy and there were not enough jobs to go around for all those people who demanded them? Do we just make up jobs and pull money out of our arse (i.e. taxpayers) to pay them?

Humans deserve life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness; for everything else, you're on your own.

I can't believe this question was even asked.
I agree with you to an extent. But do you know why you believe the part that I put in bold? Is that because a few men in the 1700s said that's what we deserve? What makes them right and those who disagree wrong? And you also refer to humans. Does that mean this "rule" applies to humans in Malaysia or Qatar? Or does it only apply to Americans? There's really something to think about, on a much deeper, philosophical level.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:27 PM

588 posts, read 2,828,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svatos View Post
I agree with you to an extent. But do you know why you believe the part that I put in bold? Is that because a few men in the 1700s said that's what we deserve? What makes them right and those who disagree wrong? And you also refer to humans. Does that mean this "rule" applies to humans in Malaysia or Qatar? Or does it only apply to Americans? There's really something to think about, on a much deeper, philosophical level.
You're absolutely right - where we draw the line for exactly what humans are entitled to is indeed somewhat arbitrary, varies by location, and certainly open to debate.

But I stand by my assertion that being entitled to a job is nowhere close to the location of this line.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:08 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Because not everyone is motivated by money.
At the lower end of the totem pole, when it means you eat and have a place to sleep at night, money is a motivator right?

Old 12-16-2010, 03:23 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Not for me.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Not for me.
so have you lived in a forest lately?

Old 12-16-2010, 10:57 AM

No, but pride in my job is my primary motivator. I don't really care how little it pays. I'm not a materialist.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
No, but pride in my job is my primary motivator. I don't really care how little it pays. I'm not a materialist.
I have a volunteer job for you, you will not get paid. But you will have status more so than any job you have yet had in your life and possibly be a candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize, you will be helping out a lot of needy children. Businesswire will also cover it. You will be given a food stipend, mostly a diet of rice beans and eggs and a place to camp out, but will need to provide your own tent. It is about a 2 year term with possible extension. Do you want it?

Old 12-16-2010, 12:02 PM

I'm not into status, really. I don't think of myself as anyone special, and I don't want special treatment.

Take out the high status, and it would be fine.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I'm not into status, really. I don't think of myself as anyone special, and I don't want special treatment.

Take out the high status, and it would be fine.
There are plenty of jobs like this right now, plenty with low status, menial work, and also no pay (just housing or a place to camp and enough food to eat), I suggest you sign up then and get a move on
idealist.org
WWOOF - World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms
Free and low-cost volunteer work in South America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment