Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 01:20 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times

Advertisements

Honestly grapico I think your point is not even worth discussing. Obviously people need some basic minimum amount of money to live on. This is not a mystery. But I think 99.9% of people just take that as a given that work = some amount of money.

And if you take it as a given that you will get some form of compensation then I think it is perfectly valid to talk about what motivates someone beyond that. And for some it absolutely is not money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 01:56 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,678,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
Do you prefer free market where its survivial of the fittest, which can lead to discarding the elderly aside for the fresh meat when the time is right, or do you prefer a guaranteed job upon completion of school which is common in western european countries.

I see pros and cons with both, which is why Im curious to the response.
Why do you believe it must be either or? In my opinion, all we really need to do; as a civic obligation, is eliminate official poverty. Something as simple as unemployment compensation can work. Simply eliminating a poverty of money in money based markets can be considered a form of full employment of capital resources.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:05 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Why do you believe it must be either or? In my opinion, all we really need to do; as a civic obligation, is eliminate official poverty. Something as simple as unemployment compensation can work. Simply eliminating a poverty of money in money based markets can be considered a form of full employment of capital resources.
Employment means use of. Simply eliminating poverty money does not equate to employment.

Employees are soft resources. Even the government calls them 'soft targets' in war. Capital resources are hard goods such as machinery and equipment.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Employment means use of. Simply eliminating poverty money does not equate to employment.

Employees are soft resources. Capital resources are hard goods such as machinery and equipment.
Full employment of resources in the market for labor. It could be termed as such because an individual labor market participant would have recourse to an income that would otherwise be obtained in the labor market. It would have the effect of eliminating a "natural" unemployment rate.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:14 PM

23 posts, read 29,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFestus View Post
All human beings deserve the opportunity to make a living.
I agree! Unfortunately, the most capable or most qualified are not as good when it comes to interviewing or finding the jobs. I wish colleges would teach those skills as well.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:07 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Honestly grapico I think your point is not even worth discussing. Obviously people need some basic minimum amount of money to live on. This is not a mystery. But I think 99.9% of people just take that as a given that work = some amount of money.

And if you take it as a given that you will get some form of compensation then I think it is perfectly valid to talk about what motivates someone beyond that. And for some it absolutely is not money.
Nope, but you just got what I was attacking finally. I don't think they need the basic minimum amount to live off of. It is the system which is flawed in that way, for better or worse. I don't really side with Hobbes as far as these things go.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:39 PM

Why not? Structural forms of unemployment could be considered the fault of a State for not ensuring more efficient markets.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:00 PM

576 posts, read 586,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svatos View Post

If I actually knew what I was working towards (promotion to next position up, pay increase), you're darn right I'd be willing to go the extra distance to compete for it. But without that incentive, I'll just do the required work and nothing more (unlike when I first started, where I was constantly asking for new stuff to do, etc). Most people that I know or whom I have spoken to are dealing with similar predicaments as me.
How long have you been there? Large company?

I'd be careful about that (just doing "enough"). I recently got a nice promotion (almost doubling my previous salary over a 6mth period) and an extra bonus as a "thank you". I mean I was getting frustrated too. Bad. I had been there 4.5yrs and was busting my ass and really didnt think anything was to to happen. But I just kept doing everything I could and worked smart.

My manager told me afterwards that they were looking at the 5 of us (others that were doing the same thing) for the past year with this in mind but didnt announce anything because they wanted to see how people worked everyday and not just because they knew something was on the line.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:06 PM

576 posts, read 586,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svatos View Post
Good question. The fact that I'm the only one at my level with a college degree might be more revealing of the company's attitude/philosophy. You'd think that'd give me hope that one day I'd be a top candidate to move up. Unfortunately, it's just too small of a company at the top (it's very bottom heavy; we just added on several new employees, but they're warehouse staff...no degree required). But anyways, I'm hoping to make this all a memory when I return in January from Christmas/New Years vacation.

Same position here last year at this time. Just keep busting your ass while looking for something new when you're off. It will pay off either with your current company or a new one.

I was doing the same thing but didnt know at the time they were giving us all a "silent interview" for a new position. But no matter how frustrated I may have felt at times I still worked as hard as I could.

Its a smaller company too, maybe 60-70 employees throughout the country. Some warehouse, manufacturing, sales (inside and outside), managers, a few different branches, etc.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:20 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Grapico,

there are two tacks that a company could take. I actually prefer the latter, but they could do either one of these, or maybe both.

They could reward people that perform, with raises or promotions. Or they could reward them by letting them keep their jobs while letting the slackers go. If every six months or so, they do evaluations of everyone's work, and you're not performing up to par (at least) or just "phoning it in", I think that they should get rid of you. Give the job to someone who actually WANTS it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment