Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 09:20 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times

Advertisements

I've NEVER cried at work. After work, sure, but never actually at work. I am the only female in my department and if I started crying they would have a field day with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 09:33 AM

935 posts, read 2,411,438 times
I haven't, but I know one girl who had breakdowns everyday. The boss would ask her to do something simple, like file a few papers, and she would burst into tears. Another day, she would sit at her computer and just start crying. It wasn't b/c the work was hard, it was due to all the drama she had going on in her life. The boss has fired only one person in his entire career and he had to let her go because she spent everyday crying in front of customers instead of working. She eventually found another job.

I don't know of anyone yet who has cried due to the stress from layoffs. With the exception of one or two jobs, I've been fortunate enough to work at jobs with pretty laid back bosses who made the employees feel like leaders instead of slaves. They also had pretty successful businesses as well. Maybe there's a correlation .

Old 12-17-2010, 09:53 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Honestly? Never. I have never cried at work. I don't take my personal life to work with me and I don't bring my professional life home with me. I am very good at "keeping it together" and if I ever have issues where I am so stressed out that I feel the need to have a good cry, I will do it at home, or drive out to some remote, secluded location where I can be alone, and let it all out. But, this is a rarity, as I am never that stressed out.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:04 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Has anyone cried at work? Especially over the uncertainty of layoffs...
I've come close. It wasn't a problem for me, I had another job.

But, I knew a single women that was pregnant and got laid off with the rest of us.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:06 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm sure we (women) do that more, but I'd bet a few men have cried at work...
You're not a man until you can cry over sadness for other's pain!

Old 12-17-2010, 10:51 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,592,650 times
Yes, I've cried at work and have seen others - both men and women - cry at work.

Like any emotional extreme - crying, anger, depression, manic-ness - it's best in small doses and not as a habit. Frankly, I'd rather see crying be more accepted at work than it is and anger be less accepted. I think if it was, there'd be less of both! Actually, some people cry not just out of sadness but when angry or frustrated.

Causes of work tears include personal, work, and global issues. Relationship trouble (love or work), loss of a loved one, layoffs, being reamed out by the boss, being exhausted from overwork, 9/11 - all of these have sourced tears at work for me or my coworkers. I think it's too bad that some people think there's any shame in tears - and feel even worse for their loved ones.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:55 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm sure we (women) do that more, but I'd bet a few men have cried at work...
Anyone who worked in finance in September 2008 can attest to that.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:06 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,191,253 times
I found out about a friends death minutes after walking in to work one morning. I cried then, but was one of many others.

I have cried one other time and wish I could say I hadn't. This was a few years ago, I was working a 40 hr desk job and working 35-50 hours waitressing at a resort at the same time. So not much sleep was to be had. The resort was huge and involved a lot of running around on outside decks, lifting large amounts of food onto huge trays several hundred times a night and weaving through the masses hoping to God you didn't knock someone over or tip the tray. I was the only one working in the household at the time, and was having a lot of back problems so had to try to fit in a chiropractor appointment every three days on top of working through the pain. In short, it was a hellish six months. One day, it was a busy friday evening, high humidity, high temps and we were so packed you could barely move around without stepping on someones foot or tripping over a purse. I hadn't had anything to eat that day as I had woken up twenty minutes late for the desk job and spent the rest of my day trying to catch up. Anyway- I was carrying a tray of food to a table of 12 on one of the lower decks around 7pm or so, and they had already been waiting over an hour ( this was normal with the high volume of people there and we were constantly understaffed) and I tripped. Went down HARD. Not only had I sent the entire tray of food flying, meaning the food would have to be remade and add to their wait, I fell in front of approximately thirty people, so add embarassment, and it HURT. There was a step up between the two decks, I had tripped over that at high speed, landed fully on my right knee and then skidded my face onto the boards of the deck. I managed to play it off and make it back into the kitchen but then-Cue the hysteria- F*** it, I quit!!! Sob, sob blah blah. Then more hysteria because I couldn't afford to quit, sob some more. lol- It was a terrible night. My boss ended up covering all my tables for me and sent me home to take a nap. yes, actually told me to take a nap...I was 22 at the time. She knew I had been doing this routine for several months now, so she understood how worn out I was. So nothing really bad came about from the whole experience, but I was so humiliated. She did start giving me an extra night off a week after that, so maybe it was for the best.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:25 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
I've done it but usually due to enormous frustration at a task or someone just getting on my case over and over. On those occasions I've either bolted for the restroom or sat in my car. I really try not to do it front of anyone in the office but that may change depending on my how my review goes this year.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:38 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Has anyone cried at work? Especially over the uncertainty of layoffs, mandatory overtime and workload? These have been big factors looming at our workplace and I was talking to a friend at work about the situation and I just broke down! I'm glad it was late in the afternoon when the office was almost empty.
I've not observed this under normal conditions but under the circumstances you've described I think I would understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment