U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 08:09 PM

935 posts, read 2,051,665 times

Advertisements

I just read an article today about a potentially growing trend. Allegedly, some businesses are starting to outsource their call centers, not to India, to rural areas in the U.S.. Some claim that outsourcing jobs to rural areas, instead of foreigners, allows businesses to possibly save money, feel more confident about sending their data to secure centers, and the article mentions how a few employers feel "patriotic" by hiring rural call centers to control their calls.

Outsourced ... to America?

I know of two call centers in my rural region, but I was wondering if anyone else saw this trend. Do you think the trend will grow? Or do you believe it's wishful thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 08:56 PM

4,583 posts, read 9,841,812 times
I know my phone company Windstream, moved their call center back to the USA about 4 years ago because of all the complaints. Windstream fka Alltel has call centers in 2nd tier cities like Charlotte, NC but not "rural rual" as far as I can tell.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:13 PM

1,592 posts, read 2,834,185 times
I think the trend can grow if wages are competitive. If Indian people can change their accents enough to sound like Americans, then rural folk can drop their drawls enough to sound like city folk.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:56 PM

21,300 posts, read 29,208,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
I just read an article today about a potentially growing trend. Allegedly, some businesses are starting to outsource their call centers, not to India, to rural areas in the U.S.. Some claim that outsourcing jobs to rural areas, instead of foreigners, allows businesses to possibly save money, feel more confident about sending their data to secure centers, and the article mentions how a few employers feel "patriotic" by hiring rural call centers to control their calls.

Outsourced ... to America?

I know of two call centers in my rural region, but I was wondering if anyone else saw this trend. Do you think the trend will grow? Or do you believe it's wishful thinking?
I hope the trend grows but I won't hold my breath.

Putting call centers in rural areas would be a great idea. You'd put people who are too far to commute to big cities for decent jobs to work close to home. Plus customer service would improve.

Actually I'm in the interview process for a call center in KY and that center brings good wage jobs with full benefits to Hardin County. That saves some folks an hour commute to Louisville for finding decent work.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:45 PM

935 posts, read 2,051,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I hope the trend grows but I won't hold my breath.

Putting call centers in rural areas would be a great idea. You'd put people who are too far to commute to big cities for decent jobs to work close to home. Plus customer service would improve.

Actually I'm in the interview process for a call center in KY and that center brings good wage jobs with full benefits to Hardin County. That saves some folks an hour commute to Louisville for finding decent work.
Ah! I went to college in Central Kentucky and I know most of my friends--college graduates through high school dropouts--were having a huge amount of trouble finding work after the economic collapse. Good luck on the interview!

Old 12-18-2010, 01:49 AM

750 posts, read 1,196,195 times
Kattwoman what part of central Kentucky? I am a Kentucky boy myself miss home. But now up North now.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:00 AM

311 posts, read 583,485 times
I am also in a hiring prosess for collections call center work in a rual area.I am waiting on the background check to come back.I hope they dont care about poor credit,but I dont think it was also a credit check.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:39 AM

2,015 posts, read 4,497,620 times
I know of several companies doing this-- and not even just necessarily for call center work. My friend's company actually moved a lot of jobs to New Mexico and Idaho. My company originally moved to NC and FL for cheaper wages than the North East and places like Chicago.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
Ah! I went to college in Central Kentucky and I know most of my friends--college graduates through high school dropouts--were having a huge amount of trouble finding work after the economic collapse. Good luck on the interview!
I can understand it. I moved to Hardin County from Virginia and it took me from May to November to find a decent non-temp part-time job. Full-time work will be MUCH harder. I'm just trying to maintain until I finish my degree next December then I'll probably head back to Virginia to find decent work.

Which college did you go to?

Old 12-18-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
I know of several companies doing this-- and not even just necessarily for call center work. My friend's company actually moved a lot of jobs to New Mexico and Idaho. My company originally moved to NC and FL for cheaper wages than the North East and places like Chicago.
I know Zappos.com (based in Las Vegas) picked rural Sheperdsville, KY to put their factory. Not only does it have cheap wages but it has great proximity to the UPS hub at Louisville International Airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment