Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 03:51 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times

Advertisements

The people I work for are big-time Christians (or should I say hypo-christians LOL). Anyway, every year their "employee" Christmas party is an uber big deal. Everybody goes, get's presents, gets their "bonus", and eats dinner.

My dh and I are not Christians and we do not celebrate Christmas. In fact, if anything we are repulsed by the idea. The last thing on EARTH that we want to do is go to a party where the invitation says... "Please bless us with your presence". If we were expected to participate in saying "grace", I could not be responsible for my husband's actions- he might start singing "Barnacle Bill the Sailor" or something. LOL

Anyway, I have made it known that I will not be attending. So I am getting the stink eye and cold shoulder from my employer who has not spoken a word to me in more than five days (not that I care LOL).

There have been many jovial conversations in the office (not with me), about who is coming and who isn't and what the menu is, and blah blah blah blah, clearly indicating that this party is far more important to my boss than anything as mundane as work would be. However, I do not like being treated like a leper simply because I do not wish to attend.

I am wondering what your thoughts are on this. I am a little boggled by her childish behavior, but then, knowing her immature attitude and point of view, I'm really not if you know what I mean.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 04:24 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Most businesses do have some type of holiday function for their employees; attending for a short time isn't a terrible idea. But if you don't wish to, simply decline with grace (whoops, sorry for using that word). Saying that you have a previous obligation is a good way to do this.

You are right, though, to keep your husband from attending if you think he may lapse into boorish behavior.

Quote:
Anyway, I have made it known that I will not be attending.
If your way of making it known included the type of judgemental bias revealed in your post, it hardly comes as any surprise that it was less than well received.

There have been a few times when I have personally declined to attend these things and it never was any big deal.

Maybe the party is important to your boss; there isn't anything wrong with that at.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:42 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
If you've unintentionally caused bad feelings it might be too late to change that, even if you decide to go. It would be interesting to come up for an explanation of why you declined but now you want to go. Since it's at night you can't say you had a doctor's appointment.

I can understand your squeamishness at being at a Christmas party. Being there doesn't mean you are joining the Christian church. Even if they said grace, which is highly unlikely, you could still hold hands but not bow your head. I was raised in a fundamentalist church which didn't celebrate Christmas. As an adult atheist, I will put up a tree and maybe even trade gifts. None of that makes me a Christian or makes me want to be a Christian. I've gone to office "holiday" parties and had no problem with it.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:47 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
If you've unintentionally caused bad feelings it might be too late to change that, even if you decide to go. It would be interesting to come up for an explanation of why you declined but now you want to go. Since it's at night you can't say you had a doctor's appointment.

I can understand your squeamishness at being at a Christmas party. Being there doesn't mean you are joining the Christian church. Even if they said grace, which is highly unlikely, you could still hold hands but not bow your head. I was raised in a fundamentalist church which didn't celebrate Christmas. As an adult atheist, I will put up a tree and maybe even trade gifts. None of that makes me a Christian or makes me want to be a Christian. I've gone to office "holiday" parties and had no problem with it.
Well, aside from the Christian factor, I don't want to go because I dislike them very much. They treat me badly at work and I do not consider myself "friends" with them or any of the other co-workers (with one exception). I do not like their choice of food (Olive Garden) either.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-18-2010, 04:54 PM

550 posts, read 1,355,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, aside from the Christian factor, I don't want to go because I dislike them very much. They treat me badly at work and I do not consider myself "friends" with them or any of the other co-workers (with one exception). I do not like their choice of food (Olive Garden) either.

20yrsinBranson
I would have declined based on their choice of restaurant

Old 12-18-2010, 04:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
Then by all means, do the polite and gracious thing and inform them that their selection of cuisine doesn't measure up to your standards.

Geez...this time of year most people have at least a few holiday obligations; infer that you have a family function to attend instead and leave it at that.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:04 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,508 times
The way to initially handle this is to say something along the lines of..."Hmmm...I'll have to check my calendar at home. I think we have a (family/friend commitment of birthday/anniversary, whatever) that date."

Then later politely, and graciously decline due to a prior committment.
It all then becomes a non-issue.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson

I worked for a company that had a very upscale Christmas party at the Beverly Hills Hotel. I never went the two years that I was there as my direct boss was a very unpleasant person.

Some people thought it was crazy to pass up a fancy party, but I would rather not bother if it is people you don't want to be around.

They would sit people at tables by dept., and I thought what is the point of going? I would rather stay home then be in a social situation with people you don't want to socialize with.

The best excuse is you already had plans that night.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:12 PM

550 posts, read 1,355,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
The way to initially handle this is to say something along the lines of..."Hmmm...I'll have to check my calendar at home. I think we have a (family/friend commitment of birthday/anniversary, whatever) that date."

Then later politely, and graciously decline due to a prior committment.
It all then becomes a non-issue.
I thought this would be possible until my company tried to schedule around everyone's prior commitments. My company even asked about availability around halloween!

Old 12-18-2010, 05:23 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I have been asked. I always decline. After a few years of telling them, "I don't do parties," they got the hint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment