Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 03:29 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to have an urban planning master's degree and teach in something related to urban planning at a community college?

Planning is my number one interest for what I want to do as an adult, but I don't like how planning jobs change so much and that I would be stuck working near a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 06:44 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
It would be unlikely. The standards set by the architecture academic accreditation board very high and employing instructors that do not have training in architecture would jeopardize their accreditation. There might be one or two schools willing to overlook your urban planning degree and let you teach as an adjunct, but your options would be very limited, and you would need something (like work experience) to demonstrate that you have the knowledge required to teach the subject of architecture. Even if you were hired without the requisite degree, you would most likely be expected to acquire it within a certain period of time as a condition of your employment.

Next, there are no junior colleges that offer architecture programs. The academic accreditation board and state licensing boards do not allow junior colleges to teach students at such a low level. You might find very generic drafting or broad design classes. But not specifically geared for architecture. The lowest level institution that can offer architecture program is a Bachelor's degree, minimum five years.

And finally, even junior colleges are located in cities. Their entire organizational model is based on a population center.

Best of luck to you.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
It would be unlikely. The standards set by the architecture academic accreditation board very high and employing instructors that do not have training in architecture would jeopardize their accreditation. There might be one or two schools willing to overlook your urban planning degree and let you teach as an adjunct, but your options would be very limited, and you would need something (like work experience) to demonstrate that you have the knowledge required to teach the subject of architecture. Even if you were hired without the requisite degree, you would most likely be expected to acquire it within a certain period of time as a condition of your employment.

Next, there are no junior colleges that offer architecture programs. The academic accreditation board and state licensing boards do not allow junior colleges to teach students at such a low level. You might find very generic drafting or broad design classes. But not specifically geared for architecture. The lowest level institution that can offer architecture program is a Bachelor's degree, minimum five years.

And finally, even junior colleges are located in cities. Their entire organizational model is based on a population center.

Best of luck to you.
There are 4 diff architecture classes offered at my community college. Yeah, community colleges are in population centers but not necessarilily in large cities.

I was also thinking if I could teach geography if I had a masters in city planning or perhaps get a masters in geography.

Thanks!

Old 12-22-2010, 08:09 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
There are 4 diff architecture classes offered at my community college. Yeah, community colleges are in population centers but not necessarilily in large cities.

I was also thinking if I could teach geography if I had a masters in city planning or perhaps get a masters in geography.

Thanks!
Architecture?? Or architectural drafting? Different things. Teaching drafting courses actually wouldn't require an architecture degree, but you would need to be well-versed in drafting software, and probably be an authorized instructor. Drafting courses are common, but no community colleges offer degrees in architecture. It is not allowed by the accreditation board.

You said you didn't want to live in a city, now you're saying a large city. It's all semantics and everyone has a different idea of what is large. But anywhere that is large enough to have a community college is going to be similar in size to that which would require an urban planner. So I assumed you were looking at something smaller.

I would think geography would be a closer leap from urban planning than architecture, but I'll let a geographer come in and answer that.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Architecture?? Or architectural drafting? Different things. Teaching drafting courses actually wouldn't require an architecture degree, but you would need to be well-versed in drafting software, and probably be an authorized instructor. Drafting courses are common, but no community colleges offer degrees in architecture. It is not allowed by the accreditation board.

You said you didn't want to live in a city, now you're saying a large city. It's all semantics and everyone has a different idea of what is large. But anywhere that is large enough to have a community college is going to be similar in size to that which would require an urban planner. So I assumed you were looking at something smaller.

I would think geography would be a closer leap from urban planning than architecture, but I'll let a geographer come in and answer that.
Well, the city I am referring to has 45,000 population and a county of 270,000 population. The other city has 90,000 population, but no money. The county and smaller firms are where most firms are hiring. All though, I don't know what the current status is of each. From what I heard also, I heard the county likes to hire students from our local university's planning department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment