Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 02:27 PM

79 posts, read 115,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Pepper View Post
Why should that be the employer's problem?
It's the employers problem because they will outsource jobs to other countries before hiring here because they can save money & not pay living wages; claiming,'oh we can't find any qualified workers here'. (AT&T claimed that four years ago...)
In my previous roles, ive trained new/returning employees and have been on the hiring side and i will say this: employers refuse to train their employees anymore. It cost more to train a new employee and its cheaper to hire from inside because you decrease the amount forked over to train. They claim all these preferences but refuse to pay the worth.

I've applied for jobs well below my skill set, degree, experience level and still.. nada. You know things are horrible when walmart & target tell you you are 'over qualified'.

Last edited by relocatingdiva79; 08-09-2011 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: cause i can...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 04:00 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,320,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
Must not have gay, bisexual, Mormon, openly evangelical, openly political, openly punk, or beer drinking friends on facebook
Must have never lived in Utah or Texas
Mormons, gays, bisexuals, old people need not apply

I have found out that I have been excluded and not hired because my phone has an 801 area code and because I've lived in Utah I MUST be a Mormon.

And because I moved from Utah, I have had hiring managers point blank ask me if I am LDS, and then go on a spiel about how Mormons are backward when I state that I am not.

, but I can see myself not getting hired because those friends are undocumented, or live in Texas, or are gay, or Mormon.

Oh, and I totally forgot to add, that the experience must be gained from on the job training, not from a class. The states of Utah and California are having a field day with that requirement since so many of the unemployed go to classes to get job skills and the managers won't consider them because the training was not on the job.
Amazing. Not my experience at all. Did you know that many places in California hire people because they are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? Did you know many of those places such as LAPD, FBI, LA Sherriffs Dept, and many many more openly hire members of the Mormon Church. Did you know that many Fortune 500 companies also hire members of the Mormon church openly in California. Most of these organizations realize that those people from Utah are educated and ballanced, They will show up for work and chances are won't be on drugs or drunk. They will work hard and get the job done without complaining. One hospital even has a Mormon CEO and a Mormon COO. About a dozen southern California school District Superintendends are members of the Mormon Church. Many entertainment companies in the Burbank area also have a lot of members of the Mormon church working for them. With a state that has as many Mormons or more than Utah has I am amazed that anyone would make the claim that you are making. Even in Orange County their are many employers that hire Mormons. Also amazed by your Gay comments as my brother and many of my friends are gay. I have never seen anyone not hire anyone in California because they are Gay.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:32 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,919,501 times
It's all about personality, your looks, and what you offer to the company.

You can have a degree from MIT but if you lack the personality that the interviewer wants, you will not get the job. To all my fellow shy people, you will need to lose your shyness when it comes interview time or you will be left behind.

If the interviewer does not like your appearance, age, gender, sexual preference, you will not get the job. The Whoreporation has the upper hand. They have the upper hand when hiring and firing you. ( giving 2 weeks notice is an example of a company having the upper hand when you decide to quit or else they will blacklist you.) I wish one day i win the lottery so i will never have to work again. I would just open up my own business, a gym and travel 3 -6 times a year.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:37 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,320,111 times
Klato,

Why not open your own business now?

Old 08-09-2011, 05:46 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatingdiva79 View Post
It's the employers problem because they will outsource jobs to other countries before hiring here because they can save money & not pay living wages; claiming,'oh we can't find any qualified workers here'. (AT&T claimed that four years ago...)
In my previous roles, ive trained new/returning employees and have been on the hiring side and i will say this: employers refuse to train their employees anymore. It cost more to train a new employee and its cheaper to hire from inside because you decrease the amount forked over to train. They claim all these preferences but refuse to pay the worth.
The bottom line...whether anyone likes it or not, whether one thinks it is right or moral or not...is that a business / company has one primary goal: to make the maximum possible profit for the shareholders (or owners if the company is privately held). Companies have no real obligation to provide a certain wage or any benefits whatsoever, these items (such as salary, health insurance, etc) are designed to attract potential employees to their company to work for them. Some are more generous in that respect, some are less so...but any decisions made in that respect are business decisions, not purely humanitarian ones.

That's reality, whether one likes it or not.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:32 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,919,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Klato,

Why not open your own business now?
I don't have the $$. I am still paying my student loans (18K). Also, NYC is a rough gym market. I am studying to get my custom brokers license since i am in the logistics field but this is not what i want to do with my life. I am 26 and i really need to figure out what i really want to do with my life

Old 08-09-2011, 06:33 PM

171 posts, read 444,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
The bottom line...whether anyone likes it or not, whether one thinks it is right or moral or not...is that a business / company has one primary goal: to make the maximum possible profit for the shareholders (or owners if the company is privately held). Companies have no real obligation to provide a certain wage or any benefits whatsoever, these items (such as salary, health insurance, etc) are designed to attract potential employees to their company to work for them. Some are more generous in that respect, some are less so...but any decisions made in that respect are business decisions, not purely humanitarian ones.

That's reality, whether one likes it or not.
A freakin' men. That's the truth. The fact that new grads like myself, for example, are expected to come with work experience is NOT the employer's problem or concern unless he/she doesn't have enough qualified applicants....which in this economy certainly isn't the case. Supply and demand. Simple. +rep.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:39 PM

171 posts, read 444,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Um because they are creating a shortage of qualified workers because they refuse to develop them then complain about being unable to find employees.

Because all these dispossessed college grads are not just going to dissappear into thin air or just die peacefully like our society seems to want them to they are going to riot and incite civil unrest because they have nothing to loose.

I think the next major crises will be student loan defaults by people working a Walmart and cannot repay them even in 100 years.
I haven't heard any employers complain about being unable to find employees. Heh, everything I hear about employers looking for new faces is that they received TONS of resumes and applications and "had a hard time choosing" the right person because there were so many to choose from.

Further, it's my understanding that the goal of business is to make as much money as efficiently possible. Should there be a shortage of qualified applicants at some point, THEN it would make sense for the employer to lower its standards, provide training and education, etc. Otherwise, it's not their problem if some poor joe schmoe--me, you, or anyone else--isn't good enough to work for them.

I have to say, though, that to some degree I agree with you on your Walmart/Student Loan statement. Wonder who's to blame? All the self entitled people out there pushing the myth that by graduating college, people "deserve" a good job and be able to find a good job because their human rights God told them so. It's all BS. THAT's who's to blame, the pushers of the education bubble.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:48 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,733,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Pepper View Post
I haven't heard any employers complain about being unable to find employees.
Hot off the presses...

Employers Ready to Hire Can

And past articles...

Factories Ready to Hire, but Skilled Workers Scarce - NYTimes.com

Some Firms Struggle to Fill Jobs Despite High Unemployment - WSJ.com

Old 08-09-2011, 07:30 PM

4,898 posts, read 3,355,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Um because they are creating a shortage of qualified workers because they refuse to develop them then complain about being unable to find employees.

Because all these dispossessed college grads are not just going to dissappear into thin air or just die peacefully like our society seems to want them to they are going to riot and incite civil unrest because they have nothing to loose.

I think the next major crises will be student loan defaults by people working a Walmart and cannot repay them even in 100 years.
+1500. Just a matter of time before it starts to blow up in our faces...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search