Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 01:19 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
You missed my point entirely.
That is possible, but I'd submit any notion that overweight people will be biased against thinness because more and more people are overweight isn't grounded in reality, at least not in the current job market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 01:20 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
That is possible, but I'd submit any notion that overweight people will be biased against thinness because more and more people are overweight isn't grounded in reality, at least not in the current job market.
While weight is the form in which it is being carried out, OP has submitted a thread about promotion without merit, which I focused my commentary on. If the rest of you want to derail the thread into a discussion about the obesity epidemic or about the current job market, that's your choice. But I don't think that is what this thread is about and I'm not going to join you.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:22 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
But, kodaka, you still didn't provide links you alluded to and I'm simply curious. Thanks!

Old 12-26-2010, 03:30 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
My new boss refers to the people in our office as grazing-the majority are overweight-he only hires people that are. It's why I don't eat at work-I go home for 10 min and grab a Lean Cuisine. And yes, I do now fall into that category. Before my accident-I was very active-skied, played soccer, ran, rode my bike. Spend 4 months in a wheelchair and non weight bearing and see how it changes you. Now that I've got a ankle that's malunioned and needs to be fused, it's not easy to do even every day mindless stuff-like walking. I can't go faster than 2mph on the treadmill-and that's with supervision of a therapist. I've tried doing the DVD's at home for aerobics, but it's too much on the ankle. I didn't get to do more therapy to get me beyond where I am because my health insurance only paid for 32 visits. And the person who's driveway I slipped at-never offered to put in a claim. It kills me that image is the end all to everything.

Doesn't matter to anyone that I have a sharp mind and quickly grasp onto new subjects that I have to learn. It's outward appearances that make or break it. I've lost out on many jobs since given the OK earlier this year to find a desk job. Even those are hard to get because they again see overweight as a sign as laziness. And that they are worried about me walking about their building because of that issue. I've been on both sides of this fence-when I thinner-no problem getting hired-I have a great resume and solid background. Now-they see a overweight person who wears a bulky brace and assume I am slovenly and lazy. I am none of the above. And I am doing my best to lose the weight on my own. Just remember-you too could end up in my place at any moment and time. And you'll then see everything in a whole different light.
I found it interesting that your boss only hires the overweight, yet seems to make fun of them too (calling them "grazing"). Why do you think he hires them exclusively? Most other people on this thread seem to say otherwise (bosses don't want to hire overweight people).

Old 12-26-2010, 04:28 PM

172 posts, read 418,624 times
As for my appearance, I don't think I'm extremely attractive or anything. I do, however, control the one thing I can, is my weight. I think my employer likes the fact I'm active, when the office orders pizza I still eat my salad, I run and I bike. Even though it's irrelevant, my bosses are attracted to my lifestyle.

I don't believe I will become any less easy for me because it isn't easy to begin with. I'm given promotions on my merit, but I was just up for a promotion against people who were slightly better than me, I got it. I work for a Manhattan marketing firm, I have Harvard and Yale grads hounding their resumes to the firm to take my position away from me. I'm thin and plan to stay this way, I don't believe people gain weight as they get older. Our bodies change and our diets need to change as well. I wasn't promoted based on my appearance, but I think part of it has to do with how I carry myself. There is a huge difference between being attractive and presenting myself.

It's much beyond being “attractiveâ€. It's part of a package. Most people just don't know how to carry themselves. Some people have weight and carry it very well, my co-workers need to learn to not pack in 3000 calories a day.

http://www.thestyleblogger.com/wp-co...an-ng-suit.jpg

You need to know how to dress as well, by this picture we can see skinny people can look bad as well.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrains View Post
As for my appearance, I don't think I'm extremely attractive or anything. I do, however, control the one thing I can, is my weight. I think my employer likes the fact I'm active, when the office orders pizza I still eat my salad, I run and I bike. Even though it's irrelevant, my bosses are attracted to my lifestyle.

I don't believe I will become any less easy for me because it isn't easy to begin with. I'm given promotions on my merit, but I was just up for a promotion against people who were slightly better than me, I got it. I work for a Manhattan marketing firm, I have Harvard and Yale grads hounding their resumes to the firm to take my position away from me. I'm thin and plan to stay this way, I don't believe people gain weight as they get older. Our bodies change and our diets need to change as well. I wasn't promoted based on my appearance, but I think part of it has to do with how I carry myself. There is a huge difference between being attractive and presenting myself.

It's much beyond being “attractiveâ€. It's part of a package. Most people just don't know how to carry themselves. Some people have weight and carry it very well, my co-workers need to learn to not pack in 3000 calories a day.

http://www.thestyleblogger.com/wp-co...an-ng-suit.jpg

You need to know how to dress as well, by this picture we can see skinny people can look bad as well.
Now you just sound foolish and arrogant. To think you really are above all the things that make other people who they are (genetics, stress, workload, parenthood, injury, illness), and that you can accurately predict that you will stay that way forever. Wow.

And if you think your boss is keeping tabs on your salad-eating...well, I could call that borderline delusional.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:47 PM

172 posts, read 418,624 times
I'm not saying it should be this way, I'm just calling my experience as it is. My bosses are health nuts, they admire me. People get hired and promoted on reasons not related to work all the time, it's the way it is.

I'm also not saying everyone is able to be skinny. I'm speaking for my co-workers who resent me for some reason.

No matter what happens to our bodies, weight gain or loss, loss of limbs, etc. We still have control over our appearance.

Our country has a growing obesity problem, with an exception for a few, it's all based on lifestyle choices.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:24 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
You are not supposed to refer to yourself as the Office Superstar
Where did he say that? [bolding mine]

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketrains
I'm a slim, 6'ft male and never really thought about this before. In my workplace I seem to get favored for promotions and special projects when I know some of my co-workers are more qualified. I'm not lazy, but I'm not the office super star, but at times I'm treated like one.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrains View Post
I'm not saying it should be this way, I'm just calling my experience as it is. My bosses are health nuts, they admire me. People get hired and promoted on reasons not related to work all the time, it's the way it is.

I'm also not saying everyone is able to be skinny. I'm speaking for my co-workers who resent me for some reason.

No matter what happens to our bodies, weight gain or loss, loss of limbs, etc. We still have control over our appearance.

Our country has a growing obesity problem, with an exception for a few, it's all based on lifestyle choices.
Your attitude is not 'the way it is' that's your attitude. I strongly suspect what your coworkers resent, if anything, is your conceit. And I suspect your employer is not nearly as enamored of 'your lifestyle' as you think they are.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:01 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
I would think an overweight boss would be more inclined to show favoritism (if it is going to be shown) toward another overweight person. The more overweight people the more normal it looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment