U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-30-2010, 10:00 AM

6,986 posts, read 12,360,097 times
Corporatethink people have always made the case that money doesn't motivate people. Baloney. If that was true, CEO's would do their jobs(HAH) for the love of working there. Financial compensation wouldn't be necessary.

I know the reality of living in Las Vegas these days. If you have a job, stay there. If you want to look, fine, but keep the job you have until something better comes along. No way would I walk away from anything right now that gives me a paycheck.

The pendulum always swings and things change. Be ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-30-2010, 01:02 PM

537 posts, read 602,681 times
I answered about half-positive for questions 1 to 4. Money is a sweetener that allows us to endure jobs that provide little or no other fulfillment. Even if I answered 0 for 4, I would still stick to the job. Not worth it in some cases to look elsewhere and further, I don't define myself by my job. I do a good job, but, mostly I work to live, not the reverse, and so should everybody, I think, unless they run their own business or do something they would do for free or very little.

Unread 12-31-2010, 06:06 PM

935 posts, read 1,334,609 times
To a certain extent I believe that money does not always buy happiness. My previous job paid more, but I disliked it because there was too much "office politics" and the job was basically mind-numbing with no hope of promotion in sight. Not to mention the constant fear of getting laid off regardless of how hard you worked. I'm happier at my current job even though it's less pay b/c it's actually a challenge, I feel as though I have more power, and the owner is a laid-back kind of guy who knows how to take care of his employees and understands we're human.

So, while money does buy a lot of things that make you happy, I also must say that more money does not guarantee more job satisfaction. Does more money help? Yes! However, I'd rather work where I work for my salary or more than work at a job where you're constantly in fear of getting laid off with a boss that takes his anger out on you for double what I get paid right now.

Unread 01-01-2011, 01:17 PM
FBJ

31,417 posts, read 19,143,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
According to this new article, it is for me. However, I would not even consider doing that since the job market is so bad. I feel blessed to even have a job.

is-it-time-to-leave-your-job: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/111648/is-it-time-to-leave-your-job?mod=career-worklife_balance - broken link)

Even though I'm not thrilled with the salary, I haven't reached two years yet so it's not quite the right time to leave. But that is something I will look into the last six months of the year.

Unread 01-01-2011, 07:52 PM
FBJ

31,417 posts, read 19,143,713 times
Not quite yet but I have become closer to wanting to leave because of how things have changed in just 12 months. Now I'm expected to do more and make the same money. Last year my work load was not a problem at all but this year it's just ridiculous and so many of my coworkers are burnt out.

BTW: This is the first time in my working life that I have ever been giving MORE responsibilities with the same looking paycheck. This never happened from 1999-2009

Unread 01-01-2011, 08:20 PM

229 posts, read 269,134 times
I took a higher paying job (even though my guts told me not to) and 4 years later I was laid off. If I'd stayed with my old job, which I loved but didn't pay well, I'd still be there. You pay in many ways for a higher salary.

Unread 01-02-2011, 09:48 AM

140 posts, read 151,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryolson929 View Post
You pay in many ways for a higher salary.
Exactly. Not only did 1/3 of the highest-paying salary I earned went to taxes, but the job itself was soul-stealing. I and my co-workers worked in boiler room conditions while the execs swam in multi-million-dollar bonuses. The longer I stayed, the worse things became. It was either leave or lose what little sanity I had left.

Unread 01-02-2011, 10:36 AM

3,848 posts, read 5,689,917 times
When I retired from the Federal Government, I had several offers from defense contractors, but I had had enough of the ratrace.

After a year spent renovating my house, I got seriously b o r e d, so I took a job driving a school bus. I absolutely love it and can't wait for school to start again tomorrow!

I was just looking at my paystub and I made $40K last year driving the bus...which is about a third of what the contractors offered when I retired.

But who cares...life is too short!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment