Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 07:35 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
So it really depends on what kind of new responsibilities you are talking about.

Is it something completely out of the realm of what you would normally do you in your job?

Jobs change-- whether you are laying off people or not. At my company-- it is not uncommon for even the lower level jobs to change and morph. When they look at things from a compensation level to determine if the job should be paid more, the same, etc they usually do an inventory of tasks and look at market parity for the skills involved.

My friend at a law firm had something fairly recent happen like this. In lieu of hiring another paralegal and having admin staff just kind of sitting around because they had too many admin staff-- they ended up shifting some of the very low level paralegal work to the admin staff. It took some of the busy lesser skilled work off of the paralegal's hands freeing up more time so that they don't need to hire a new paralegal, it helps enriches the lower level admins and keep them more busy than what their usual work week was (my friend had stated that in all seriousness she thought they could hopefully lose an admin since the work could have been combined amongst the other 2 admin people). One of the admins apparently was unhappy and thought that the "new tasks" merited a raise but in all truthfulness the level of work is pretty much not something that would really merit a new increase in salary. The other admin apparently was very excited to have the opportunity to get her hands more into the actual paralegal side of the house and is now looking to go back to school for a paralegal certificate (which apparently her firm will end up paying for).

In some cases, the additional work and responsibilities make sense to have a pay increase. I had a team where I had 3 junior level employees move up and start taking on some of the more higher skillset work-- they showed that they were capable and I advocated for them to get significant pay increases to compensate the higher level work they were doing (8-11% increases which would far exceed any COLA or annual increase percent). It really made sense, leadership agreed, and I was able to show since they had been trained and started doing the work, that they were competent and COULD very well do it. Most people I know in my current environment and company have always done higher level work, taken on more responsibilities, before the official promotions and increases ever came.

AS for working Saturdays, I would probably ask my manager why are they mandatory. Under certain circumstances it would make sense (for example in my world year end is a HUGE ordeal for large employers to prepare for W2s, taxes, etc). I have also worked crazy hours for major software implementations-- but those who worked those hours were generally compensated with something afterwards-- through some kind of appreciation whether it was monetary, gift cards, nice dinners, etc.

Now if they are having mandatory Saturdays because they are so short staffed and there is no end in sight-- that is a whole nother ball of wax.

I would only give one Saturday a month. But i don't think that saturday thing will go over too well. Faras the added responsibilities, I have to do two workshops every week geared toward job searching or professional development and have to come up with my own topic. This time last year it was no such thing, I would basically meet with clients one on one and do a monthly welcome orientation. It's very hard to come up with a new topic every week that will keep he clients engaged. And all this with the same money and no christmas appreciation gift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 07:50 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I been at my job since May of 2009 and once higher management changed in late 2009, more responsibilities were added as we started 2010. Then on top of it, there was no COLA raise in July of 2010 and no type of Christmas Bonus. So I guess I'm not at the point where I'm fed up with the way things are going but know that I have to be THANKFUL to even have a job right now. Then we received word this week that MANDATORY SATURDAYS will start in January. So I now that I would never quit because that is something you can't do when you are taking care of yourself. But I will have to start working a little differently and not work 50 hrs a week. Then medical went up which also means I'm doing more work and the paycheck went down

I guess the only thing that is keeping me from jumping ship is the 10 min walk to the job. Anyone else in this situation? I don't let my frustration show around my boss or in staff meetings but I'm defintely irritated right now.
I turned down a promotion to a shift supervisor because the pay would not be that much more and the workload is twice as much. I'm planning to get outta there as soon as possible because the pay (with no benefits) is not enough for the amount of duties I do. I could make more money elsewhere doing the same thing.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I turned down a promotion to a shift supervisor because the pay would not be that much more and the workload is twice as much. I'm planning to get outta there as soon as possible because the pay (with no benefits) is not enough for the amount of duties I do. I could make more money elsewhere doing the same thing.

The main things that has made the job unattractive in 2010 is ADDITIONAL TRAVEL and MORE PUBLIC SPEAKING. I only had to do public speaking once a month in January of 2010, now I have to do it TEN times a month in January of 2011.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:03 PM

Also we didn't have to follow a SET schedule every new week. We would set our own schedule every week and was in control of our day.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:03 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
The main things that has made the job unattractive in 2010 is ADDITIONAL TRAVEL and MORE PUBLIC SPEAKING. I only had to do public speaking once a month in January of 2010, now I have to do it TEN times a month in January of 2011.
If you wanna know the real crazy part. I told the offering manager that I would likely be relocating before the end of next year to Louisville proper or Virginia and didn't want to do all that training (four months) for only two months of actual supervision. They turned around and offered the job to someone WHO THEY KNOW is PCSing to San Antonio in a couple of months. Nothing against the person who got the promotion but I'm thinking WTF?!

Old 01-02-2011, 05:43 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
You don't fit the requirements of an exempt worker (you are not an executive, management, professional, or outside sales person) so under the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act, they must pay overtime for all hours over 40 worked. The fact that you have to conform to specific scheduled hours and are fairly closely supervised is in itself almost always an indicator that you are not an exempt employee.

That said, if they are giving you a weekday off while you work Saturday so you are still only working a 40 hour week, or if they are paying you overtime for time over 40 hours, then they are totally within their legal rights to alter your work schedule or even job duties to an extent. If presenting was part of the job when you started, and they've simply increased the number of presentations, they are within their rights to do so for example.

Same thing with requiring travel. You aren't really "traveling" (the use of this term generally implies overnight stays) but rather commuting to different areas around the city. It is also perfectly legal for them to demand you perform more local commuting then you were originally hired for, and in some cases they can even demand you do actual travel.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You don't fit the requirements of an exempt worker (you are not an executive, management, professional, or outside sales person) so under the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act, they must pay overtime for all hours over 40 worked. The fact that you have to conform to specific scheduled hours and are fairly closely supervised is in itself almost always an indicator that you are not an exempt employee.

That said, if they are giving you a weekday off while you work Saturday so you are still only working a 40 hour week, or if they are paying you overtime for time over 40 hours, then they are totally within their legal rights to alter your work schedule or even job duties to an extent. If presenting was part of the job when you started, and they've simply increased the number of presentations, they are within their rights to do so for example.

Same thing with requiring travel. You aren't really "traveling" (the use of this term generally implies overnight stays) but rather commuting to different areas around the city. It is also perfectly legal for them to demand you perform more local commuting then you were originally hired for, and in some cases they can even demand you do actual travel.

It's still MORE WORK and lower PAY due to the increased medical and no COLA Raise. I hated my last job with a passion but atleast I was in control of my own day and workload and check stayed the same.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:02 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
I'm not quite sure why knowing that anybody else might be in a similar situation is of use to you, unless you'd feel more comfortable knowing that there are others in the same boat. And of course there are. Just reading through the threads on this forum should demonstrate that most people who post here aren't particularly happy in their jobs.

I suppose you're just going to have it suck it up and make the best of it until you can find something else which suits you better.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'm not quite sure why knowing that anybody else might be in a similar situation is of use to you, unless you'd feel more comfortable knowing that there are others in the same boat. And of course there are. Just reading through the threads on this forum should demonstrate that most people who post here aren't particularly happy in their jobs.

I suppose you're just going to have it suck it up and make the best of it until you can find something else which suits you better.

Yup, that's all I can do at this point.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:08 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
I been at my job since May of 2009 and once higher management changed in late 2009, more responsibilities were added as we started 2010. Then on top of it, there was no COLA raise in July of 2010 and no type of Christmas Bonus. So I guess I'm not at the point where I'm fed up with the way things are going but know that I have to be THANKFUL to even have a job right now. Then we received word this week that MANDATORY SATURDAYS will start in January. So I now that I would never quit because that is something you can't do when you are taking care of yourself. But I will have to start working a little differently and not work 50 hrs a week. Then medical went up which also means I'm doing more work and the paycheck went down

I guess the only thing that is keeping me from jumping ship is the 10 min walk to the job. Anyone else in this situation? I don't let my frustration show around my boss or in staff meetings but I'm defintely irritated right now.
I am currently going through this. The founder of the company I'm at (which was acquired by a large competitor a year ago) left and it's left chaos in its wake. Management isn't really prioritizing anything for my current team to work on so we're kind of doing our own thing.

Then the only other developer I work with decided to leave, he's gone mid January. I did most of the development but I can't maintain/add features to an entire application by myself, it's just too much work. I believe I'm getting a pay bump and this will give me leverage.

I am currently looking for another job because situations like this don't work themselves out very well. I haven't had too much difficulty landing interviews when I was looking casually a couple months ago, but I guess we'll see how things are when I get a bit more aggressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment