Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 05:55 AM

229 posts, read 573,828 times

Advertisements

bouncethelight - I bet the Boston Tea Party started out as a molehill too, among other things people have fought for to make our country what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 10:44 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryolson929 View Post
bouncethelight - I bet the Boston Tea Party started out as a molehill too, among other things people have fought for to make our country what it is.
And I ask again, have you done the math yet? If you do, you're probably going to find that you would have netted the EXACT same amount of money as a sub-contractor, as you are currently netting as an employee.

If you'd make the exact same amount of money in the end, they yeah, that's making a mountain out of molehill...

Old 01-07-2011, 06:04 PM

It's not about the money anymore. It's the ethics. It's about treating people correctly. It's about using tax dollars in an unethical manner. It's about being treated correctly when you are a temp. It's just not the money. It's the lies and the deceit.

They would not have stopped if HR hadn't told them it was against IRS laws and not allowable. It's about reporting people who are abusing both the temporay help and were attempting to be dishonest about the taxpayers money. It is much more than just lying to us about the agreements. BUT - until I got some great advice here, I did not realize or know that.

That is why I mentioned the Tea Party. Thsie who have fought for our rights and for the pursuit of justice left a great legacy to all of us.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
And I ask again, have you done the math yet? If you do, you're probably going to find that you would have netted the EXACT same amount of money as a sub-contractor, as you are currently netting as an employee.

If you'd make the exact same amount of money in the end, they yeah, that's making a mountain out of molehill...
I kind of agree with bouncelight on this. If you worked as an independent contractor at $15.39/hr vs. $12.31/hr as an employee, employer needs to pay $.94/hr in SS/Medicare taxes which brings his cost up to $13.25 an hour, plus he has other expenses you don't incur such as unemployment insurance, workmen's comp, etc.

If you are paid as an independent contractor, deduct the 7.65% or $1.18/hr. which he doesn't pay and you do, and your net is $14.21/hr. Still a $1.90/hr difference for you, or a gross difference of $458 over a period of 6 weeks. Then deduct whatever state and federal taxes you might owe on this money, you are probably talking about $350 at most.

But, I understand principle issue.

Plainly, you are dealing with people who have no respect for their employees and don't consider a couple of dollars an hour an important issue.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-07-2011 at 08:50 PM..

Old 01-08-2011, 02:46 PM

Both of you brought up the important fact of the reality of what I would have been making. There is the added 'benefit' that I would not be able to collect unemployment when the job ended as I would have then been a contractor.

NONE of this, of course, was explained when they so graciously asked us to become consultants. They knew very well what the end result would be.

I am SO thankful this was stopped in its tracks by HR, which was aware of the IRS conditions. And it further confirms to me that these are very unethical people I am dealing with. AFTER they were shot down by HR is when they told us the hardships we would encounter if they had kept us as consultants (never once mentioning that it had been stopped by HR).

NONE of this was mentioned when they, glowingly, talked us into the 'benefits' of being consultants.

I am so thankful that I got the information here that gave me such insight into the wrongs they tried to commit. Do you suppose, if HR hadn't shot them down, that they would have cared one bit when we were informed by unemployment that it wouldn't count in our claim? Do you think they even once gave a thought as to how they could have hurt us financially? I doubt it, except to maybe think how stupid us sheep were.

That is what I am fighting now. To make others aware that this is going on in a dept that is paid for with tax dollars and there have to be some guidelines and stop gates so they can't do this to people. We are not sheep. We are people who have been unemployed through no fault of our own and this is not the time, nor the dept, that should be hurting, rather than helping, us.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:22 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
It's not about the money anymore. It's the ethics. It's about treating people correctly. It's about using tax dollars in an unethical manner. It's about being treated correctly when you are a temp. It's just not the money. It's the lies and the deceit.

They would not have stopped if HR hadn't told them it was against IRS laws and not allowable. It's about reporting people who are abusing both the temporay help and were attempting to be dishonest about the taxpayers money. It is much more than just lying to us about the agreements. BUT - until I got some great advice here, I did not realize or know that.

That is why I mentioned the Tea Party. Thsie who have fought for our rights and for the pursuit of justice left a great legacy to all of us.
Look, I don't care what "excuse" you use to get your money and then some.

The fact that the supervisor KNEW you were not going to be paid to what was agreed to and didn't tell you after almost a month is beyond freaking tacky!

If you have to make it about ethics, morals, tea party movement, etc., then so be it.

I'm not mad at you. Do what you need to do.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:31 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,165 times
There are benefits to being an independent-contractor! I definitely prefer it.

And I'm not sure why you think it's unethical that they didn't explain the differences to you? You did state earlier in this thread that...

Quote:
Yes, it was as a subcontractor and I knew taxes wouldn't be taken out. This is why they said they would pay the higher rate.
So it appears they covered at least some of the differences?

Just a little advice, if you're in a field where subcontractors are the norm... When you get an offer - especially for a change as big as going from employee to independent contractor - the smartest thing is for YOU to look at it from all angles, and do any research necessary to make an informed decision to accept or decline the offer.

In this case the offer was rescinded, but you never know, the issue may come again in your career!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment