Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 01:39 AM

1 posts, read 46,929 times

Advertisements

I am the typical story of mistakes of the youth. When I was a freshman in college a group of friends of mine and I were busted with marijuana. I received a deferred adjudication for the POM charge (no conviction). A few years later, after leaving a Christmas party, I was arrested for an alleged DWI. Well, long story short, I wasn't intoxicated and the state didn't have enough evidence, so we plead the case down to a Class B Misdemeanor "Obstruction of a Highway Passage." I've been assured that I will be able to still obtain a teaching certification since the infractions were not directly related to children or considered an immediate danger to the welfare of children. Regardless of my past indiscretions, I am certainly not in any risk of repeating those same mistakes, as I now live a very quiet and simple life. I've just finished my Master's degree and am ready to enter the career world. I want to remain in an academic setting and believe I can positively influence young people. I am hoping to work in underpriviliged school districts, usually where most people avoid work. I am wondering from those with previous experience in the education field and the application/hiring process as to how difficult getting a job may be. Any advice or insight would be helpful. Mahalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 02:14 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,083,275 times
Only felonies typically deter you from getting a job or certifications.

Misdemeanors are very common. Most employers only look at felonies. . The things typically seen on job application are have you ever been convicted of a felony or anything related to theft, violence, or drugs? Some employers are now changing this to any crime. It also depends on the offense and how it may be related to your job. If you have petty theft on your record you can forget a banking or finance career. Things of that nature.

If everyone with a misdemeanor couldn't get a job. The unemployment level would not be 10% it would be 35%. President George W. Bush got a DUI he was president and is super wealthy. Bill gates also has a misdemeanor. Don't get me started with Bill Clinton.

Just don't get a felony and you should be fine!

Last edited by Thursday007; 01-07-2011 at 02:41 AM..

Old 01-07-2011, 12:18 PM

7,966 posts, read 7,300,678 times
Are your charges eligible to be expunged in your state? If you go through the expungement procedure (check with an attorney in your state), it may be completely erased from your record and if asked, you can deny that you were convicted. Again, it depends on your state. Check into it. Good luck!

Old 01-07-2011, 03:48 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,963,823 times
The only problem I see is, all other things being equal, a school might prefer to hire someone with no record at all.

However, if you address these things head-on and explain them as you have here, it could work in your favor. You've nothing to lose if they are going to find out anyway.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:49 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,728,822 times
How long ago did these misdemeanors occur? If they're more than 5 years old, it probably won't show up on a check anyway.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-08-2011 at 03:43 AM..

Old 01-08-2011, 05:36 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,083,275 times
Here's something I came across you might want to check out.

Certificate of Relief from Disabilities and Certificate of Good Conduct (http://www.legal-aid.org/selfhelp/employment/offender_certificates.html - broken link)

Old 01-13-2015, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 32,171 times
What if you have a petty theft misdemenor and driving with suspended license misdemenors that are over 7 yrs ago can I still be the director at a school? I live in California and I have a bachelor degree and I been denied a job for my background what do I do?

Old 01-13-2015, 04:27 PM

12,064 posts, read 23,092,364 times
What to do?

1) Start your own thread instead of reviving a thread from 2011.

2) Learn how to write a complete and cogent sentence. You have no business being in charge of any school if this is an example of your writing ability.

3) Contact the department in California that regulates such matters and see if you are eligible for certification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment