U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-07-2011, 07:50 AM

4,694 posts, read 7,199,885 times
Default Home Depot and their benefits?

Has anyone ever worked for Home Depot, either part or full-time? I know they offer benefits, but I am wondering how good they actually are. I have a family, and would need a comprehensive health plan covering all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 07:53 AM

22,126 posts, read 28,874,126 times
Most retailers offer a health care plan where you pay full group rate premium for everyone covered except the employee whose premium is partially subsidized by the employer. I doubt if Home Depot was any different.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:58 AM

4,694 posts, read 7,199,885 times
Thank you for replying. We've bought our own health insurance for the last 20 years or so, with premiums now over $700.00 a month. Our annual deductible is very high as well, $10K. I am just wondering what a typical "retailer" health plan is like, I have no idea. If it is also very expensive/covers very little I think I'd be better off finding corporate employment.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:36 AM

19,134 posts, read 13,380,949 times
I was a HD employee a few years ago... are you going into management, or as a regular associate? Management has a much better plan than then peons that do the dirty work.

I was paying nearly 25% of my pay for mediocre health insurance that hardly covered anything and the nearest doctor to me was 1-1/2 hours away and they refused to let me file for hardship to see a local one.

But, it all depends on where you live...there may actually be Doctors or hospitals near you that accept the insurance.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 26,453 times
i work PT at home depot too. the health insurance is very expensive and VERY LIMITED. for example, i'd have to pay about $200 per month for coverage that is limited to 20k payout. (like the post before me, that amounts to 25% of my pay. it's nuts! and hd is one of the largest retail corporations in the world!!) better stay healthy or you're screwed. i have a friend who works PT for costco. she pays $60 per month for her medical insurance that has a 1 million dollar max payout. she also started out at 11.50 per hr. the starting wage at hd is 9.80 even if you're a master plumber etc. skills or no skillls, everyone PT worker starts a low wage and gets lousy insurance (w/pre-existing condition clauses too!!) crazy.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:06 AM

2,053 posts, read 2,150,448 times
I heard Home Depot used to be a really good place to work.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:13 AM

965 posts, read 1,764,169 times
In retail, most healthcare plans suck. plain and simple. it's why i never bothered with one in my old job.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:32 AM

580 posts, read 1,003,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
I heard Home Depot used to be a really good place to work.
For retail they weren't bad about 15 years ago. They actually thought of their employees as an investment. They believed in training their employees so they had some knowledge of the products they sold and they paid them a decent wage just so they could keep them and make sure the time spent on training wasn't wasted. But then they decided to adopt Lowe's business model and it all went downhill. But for what it is worth, their health care never was worth having.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment