U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 10:43 PM

5,548 posts, read 4,946,941 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one thinking "China" or "Malaysia" here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 10:58 PM

15,855 posts, read 17,174,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Am I the only one thinking "China" or "Malaysia" here?
Yes, Misty ... maybe China gets winter storms in some areas, but does Malaysia?

Old 01-07-2011, 11:41 PM

14,871 posts, read 18,293,404 times
Where I work they want us to stay safe, though we have to use vacation or leave without pay, we are not required to show up if the roads are icy. Also, some of us who can do work without actually being there are allowed to work from home with company laptops that can access the corporate systems from home.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:21 AM

5,576 posts, read 10,662,973 times
Where I live most don't go anywhere for a day or two when it snows unless they have the proper vehicles. I live in South Carolina; we don't have mountains of salt to spread on the roads here like you see up north. In a bad storm you'll probably see more business closings and canceling shifts than schools closing. They are telling us this morning that we are going to have a big storm Sunday and Monday. Check out this link Monday morning for the list Greenville Weather, Greenville, South Carolina Weather & Forecast - WYFF Greenville's Channel 4

as I write this there are currently no closings.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:02 AM

24,832 posts, read 28,827,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Yes, you can be fired for not going to work in a storm. But you will probably get unemployment.
That. I used to live in the mountains (Lake Tahoe), during El Nino nonetheless - so it literally snowed NONSTOP for two straight winters, and I'm talking 4-6ft in one day sometimes. My first job was cashiering at a ski resort, and obviously "it's snowing" is no excuse when you're working at a SKI resort. Then I had a job delivering food for a local restaurant, and again snow was no excuse. One time I showed up at a customer's home in a serious storm, and I was literally covered head-to-toe in snow... they felt so badly, they invited me in for a cup of hot cocoa (and a big tip). So it actually paid off in that case!

Therefore, I assume you are still expected to at least try getting to work in a storm... but if they fired you, unemployment shouldn't argue with giving benefits (as it's not misconduct or willful quitting).

Old 01-08-2011, 01:28 AM

47,585 posts, read 36,076,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I was discussing this with my daughter and her co-workers today. We are expecting a big snow storm and ice on the roads this week. We live in a small town and there is no snow removal and the police tell you to stay off the roads if possible.

Now.. the bank district manager has told them, they have to go to work. She lives in a big city and works from home so the roads don't bother her.

Now can they fire them for not going to work during a snow/ice storm?
Of course you can be fired for not showing up to work. It depends on the policies. In some places they're quite lenient and certain types of people will fail to show up at the first sign of a snowflake - and expect to be paid. Others of course manage to make it in.

And certainly some businesses like grocery stores and hospitals don't shut down when it's winter - employees are supposed to make it in to work.

Can you imagine if no doctors or nurses showed up to work because it snowed a little and people were unable to receive emergency treatment?

Old 01-08-2011, 01:35 AM

47,585 posts, read 36,076,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Have her call in sick. Can't fire her for that.
Koale
Most places won't give you unlimited sick days, you are given an amount of absences.

I once ended up at the bottom of a hill in a terrible blizzard, the roads were impassable and it was white-out conditions with zero visibility. Half of the staff didn't make it in and it was all counted as an unexcused absence.

I asked how they counted it as unexcused and they said don't worry - because everyone got 3 unplanned absences a year which included out-sick occurrences. And like they said - they had employees that lived close by and could walk in and never missed any work because of weather - and where people choose to live is a choice they make. If someone chooses to live on an unpaved unplowed street - their choice but the workplace isn't expected to accomodate that.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:58 AM

24,832 posts, read 28,827,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And like they said - they had employees that lived close by and could walk in and never missed any work because of weather - and where people choose to live is a choice they make. If someone chooses to live on an unpaved unplowed street - their choice but the workplace isn't expected to accomodate that.
That is true... my boss at that restaurant in Lake Tahoe lived on a VERY steep grade, which is usually the first road closed in a storm. And when a road is closed up there, you legally aren't allowed to pass through - even with a 4WD vehicle. But he was the owner, so it's not like he could just stay home very often. Therefore, if he knew a storm was coming, he'd spend the night before with a friend who lived on flatter ground. It's called planning ahead!

I mean, what if you were an ER Doctor? Do you think they get to stay home when it snows? Those are probably among their busiest days!

Old 01-08-2011, 06:51 AM

137 posts, read 326,092 times
I work for a check-cashing store, last night everyone in the district was sent an email stating that we are not a school, therefore we do NOT have 'snow days', and we are EXPECTED to leave early enough so that we are able to open on time. Store closings or opening late will NOT be tolerated.

For $8.50 an hour? Not likely.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:58 AM

24,029 posts, read 32,480,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
So now, next week I have to make up that hour or I don't get paid. His new snow policy-is no closing-no matter how much snow or if they have a snow emergency. You don't show-no pay. But if it happens too often-he's going to fire people.

Honestly-I'd rather drive into a stone wall than go to work at this place-it'd be less painful.
He can't dock you for the hours you worked if you don't make up that hour and a half, but he doesn't have to pay you for the time you didn't work.

He sounds like a moron, I'd begin looking for a new job. I'm not sure where you are in Dutchess, but if it's over around Amenia or Millbrook, those roads are practically impossible in the winter--and I grew up in Saratoga County, so I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment