U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 06:07 AM

22,148 posts, read 28,896,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Yup, in the medical industry you can. Hospitals run 24/7 and it is your responsibility to get in. Go to the allnurses forum and read all about it. Many come in before the storm and have to stay for the duration if they don't have reliable transportation.
That's how it works in the southern states when a hurricane is approaching. All essential staff report to the hospital and stay for the duration. Disney requires hotel/resort staff to show up and stay as well.

Some facilities will allow employees to bring their families along as well--the thought is that workers will be much more effective if they know their family members are safe and sound a few steps away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I thought (at least in my area) that if nurses couldn't get to work either police personnel or volunteers with 4WD would drive them during snow emergencies. I heard this from a friend who was an emergency room nurse, but she moved away 10 years ago, so I don't know what the current situation is.
They aren't required to do so, they do it as a courtesy.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Status: "want to be beach bound, again, soon! lol" (set 24 days ago)

5,380 posts, read 9,444,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That's how it works in the southern states when a hurricane is approaching. All essential staff report to the hospital and stay for the duration. Disney requires hotel/resort staff to show up and stay as well.

Some facilities will allow employees to bring their families along as well--the thought is that workers will be much more effective if they know their family members are safe and sound a few steps away.
Thats a good policy to have. A snowstorm will pass usually with no destruction but during a hurricane if you are away from your family you are not going to care about "work".

When I lived in Chicago, I worked for a place that was pretty generous with weather related absences. Most weather related absences were paid and I had the option of working from home on those days where you just couldn't/didn't want to fight the elements to get to the Loop. For me it wasn't that the roads were unpassable, but that it took a long time to dig my car out of my driveway and before you can get out on the road here comes the city plow and now you get to shovel more just to get out.

We are under the gun...forecasting 6-10 inches of snow where the snow rarely falls. It's going to be an interesting couple of days here but you will not see a snow shovel used at my house; we'll just wait for it to melt.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:13 AM

3,060 posts, read 2,085,276 times
After Hurricane Charley I was expected to go and make sure my place of employment was cleaned up. Luckily I lived less then a mile from there and could walk. There were a few people that lost their jobs because they never showed up.. Not right after of course, the company found other piddly crap to let them go for after.. I had enough to worry about on the home-front I think the company should have hired a clean up crew.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
After Hurricane Charley I was expected to go and make sure my place of employment was cleaned up. Luckily I lived less then a mile from there and could walk. There were a few people that lost their jobs because they never showed up.. Not right after of course, the company found other piddly crap to let them go for after.. I had enough to worry about on the home-front I think the company should have hired a clean up crew.
For real? How easily do you think they would have gotten an outside company in to clean up? The perfect world and reality were very far removed from each other in 2004 in Florida.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:25 PM

750 posts, read 1,493,142 times
Quote:

A state of emergency is a different story unless someone has a job that is considered vital to emergency sitatuions (medical staff, fireman, paramedics, police officers, etc.) People in those professions have to get to work no matter what, even in a state of emergency. I'd say 'especially' in a state of emergency.

He had them last Feburary when the lower half of our County had a 30+ inch snow fall go to work-even though there WAS a state of emergency for Beacon and Fishkill. It was plain stupid-just because LI didn't get snow-he won't listen to authorities here. Most of the people I work with haven't been working long enough to KNOW they shouldn't be following his orders when towns are under a state of emergency. Just last Monday-my town was under one-yet the one where the business is wasn't-so we were told to go in. I did because I am on probation.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:29 PM

750 posts, read 1,493,142 times
Quote:
He can't dock you for the hours you worked if you don't make up that hour and a half, but he doesn't have to pay you for the time you didn't work.

He sounds like a moron, I'd begin looking for a new job. I'm not sure where you are in Dutchess, but if it's over around Amenia or Millbrook, those roads are practically impossible in the winter--and I grew up in Saratoga County, so I understand.
Oh I know that-that's why I have to make it up-I make so little I can't even afford to miss a minute and keep a roof over our heads.

He is a moron-of the biggest sense. I've been applying to jobs still and even though I am working-I don't get replies back-go figure. We are in the lower end of Dutchess-but Rt.9 can be a ice rink and nasty. Too many cars and nutty drivers who come off the Parkway driving like Mario Andretti who then wonder how they ran off into a ditch, hit another car or the guard rail.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:02 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,085,276 times
Quote:
For real? How easily do you think they would have gotten an outside company in to clean up? The perfect world and reality were very far removed from each other in 2004 in Florida.
Yeah for real, how many other companys did the same thing..?
There was much money to be made in clean up work after charley.
Not to mention the fact that my Employer is a contractor who owns restaurants and such..

Old 01-08-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
Yeah for real, how many other companys did the same thing..?
There was much money to be made in clean up work after charley.
Not to mention the fact that my Employer is a contractor who owns restaurants and such..
Yup, there were, Weeks later. I don't see a problem with an employer expecting employees to help with immediate cleanup. Everyone I know was expected to show up at their work place and help out after each of the hurricanes.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:20 PM

8,242 posts, read 2,007,770 times
I live in snow country. You are expected to be at work during snow storms, even if the schools are closed, roads are bad, etc. Most people, if not all, show up on time, or reasonably close to being on time without much exception.

About the only time businesses will close is when the county declares an emergency with no unnecessary travel. However, those working in necessary jobs, such as health care, police, fire, are still expected to travel to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment