U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 07:29 PM

23,865 posts, read 31,784,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
I live in snow country. You are expected to be at work during snow storms, even if the schools are closed, roads are bad, etc. Most people, if not all, show up on time, or reasonably close to being on time without much exception.

About the only time businesses will close is when the county declares an emergency with no unnecessary travel. However, those working in necessary jobs, such as health care, police, fire, are still expected to travel to work.
I lived in Siberacuse during those lovely 1991-1993 snow storms, and I think there was one day that my office was closed. The only person who they gave a little leniency to was a girl who came in from Pulaski.

I have a customer in Watertown, she won't even allow me to come visit her from November through May. I love her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 07:37 PM

8,254 posts, read 2,188,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I lived in Siberacuse during those lovely 1991-1993 snow storms, and I think there was one day that my office was closed. The only person who they gave a little leniency to was a girl who came in from Pulaski.

I have a customer in Watertown, she won't even allow me to come visit her from November through May. I love her.
LOL...Siberacuse...I love it!! I bet the only day your office was closed was one early January day when we had 10 inches of snow in less than 2 hours. Took me hours to get home that day.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:38 PM

8,039 posts, read 2,496,709 times
The company I used to work for had a policy that if the schools were closed it was not mandatory that one show up for work no attendance points would be issued. The ones that did show up were paid time and a half. Needless to say I always got there and on time. I knew someone that lived 2blocks from the job and because the schools were closed she claimed she could not get to work.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:42 PM

23,865 posts, read 31,784,033 times
Quote:
LOL...Siberacuse...I love it!! I bet the only day your office was closed was one early January day when we had 10 inches of snow in less than 2 hours. Took me hours to get home that day.
I remember having to take the window out of the storm door so I could lean out and shovel away enough snow to actually get out of the house.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:39 PM

792 posts, read 1,630,563 times
Quote:

I know Pulaski very well-been going there for almost 25 years for good camping and fishing. Also you KNOW it gets bad by the lakes-look at the way the trees lean.

I think the people I work with are all whiners about going in the snow. They are all transplants from NYC where they had mass transit. I drove a school bus running chains when needed. 3-4 inches of snow is diddly squat. Powerslide are awesome in the snow. I'll drive all over-and I have during storms-1996 was bad when my Dad was ill and we were chasing ambulances all winter in snowstorms. My only fear about the snow-is the ice. I am SUPER cautious since that's how I broke my ankle in 3 places and dislocated it-black ice on a hill in the dark. I now have panic mode at times when crossing a parking lot alone and it's slippery. But I get through it and do my job. But it stinks that I have no say and am forced to leave work, then make up hours because of people who freak at a flake.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:15 AM

24,822 posts, read 28,320,400 times
Quote:
Heck, that ain't nothin'. I went to work in Lake Tahoe one day, and came out 7-8 hours later to find my nearly 6ft-tall Jeep had disappeared!! There was so much snow, it just looked like a huge (and I mean huge, as this was a ski resort) sea of white car-shaped boulders... I had to hit my "panic button" for about 30 minutes to locate the Jeep, LOL. I've lived in the northeast, and didn't know what REAL snowfall was until I moved to the Sierras. The snow isn't quite as constant or predictable, but man it can get crazy!!!

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-09-2011 at 05:29 AM..

Old 01-09-2011, 05:23 AM

24,822 posts, read 28,320,400 times
Next time you guys have a storm, just get to work like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ww47...eature=related

Old 01-09-2011, 08:37 AM

6,577 posts, read 8,207,412 times
Quote:

I think it's all relative. My sister lives in the Buffalo area, and obviously up there or in "Siberacuse" it snows so often that they just have to adapt somehow and can't keep closing things (even schools don't close except for big storms).

Whereas in the South (i.e. the part of North Carolina where my brother-in-law lives) almost any 'sticking' snow closes everything.

So my story is kind of "in-between". For 15 years I worked in northern Westchester County, NY while commuting from the southern part of the county. I was the farthest commuter except for one guy who commuted from mid-Dutchess County. But he was one level below the CEO and always came in late during a snowstorm, but would stay late, even if leaving after dark made it a lot more dangerous. Well the CEO, who lived a mile away from the office, would use him as the "barometer" (no pun intended), even though all of the other 20-30 people in my company felt very different about the snow (i.e. good to leave before it's bad, not come in during a state of emergency), so he expected people to come in late during snow, but not to leave early or not come in (though at least if you did you could use your vacation or personal days and it really wasn't directly held against you......though anyone who did it including myself would always wonder if they were the only one who did). We all hated that one person's stupidity when it came to the snow made it look "bad" for all of us.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:49 AM

130 posts, read 169,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
We dealt with that today. Our owner lives on LI-the business is in Dutchess County. Office manager called to discuss closing or leave policy. He said it wasn't bad in LI-so no they couldn't close. Told her-if they want to leave fine-but they don't get paid for hours not worked. And if they tried to work remotely from home-he wouldn't pay them if they tried to put in for it. People decided to start leaving around 1pm. By 2:00 the office manager left herself-she had a 40 min normally drive home. One person wasn't going to get home soon-the interstate was closed. Now let me say the majority of the people I work with are between 19-27. They all bailed. It was just older people 35-70-6 of us-who stayed. But then they decided by 2:40 to close and go. I had no choice but leave-I didn't want to-I live less than 1 1/2 miles from there. So now, next week I have to make up that hour or I don't get paid. His new snow policy-is no closing-no matter how much snow or if they have a snow emergency. You don't show-no pay. But if it happens too often-he's going to fire people.

Honestly-I'd rather drive into a stone wall than go to work at this place-it'd be less painful.
I feel the same way at times with my job. We have to go in no matter what type of weather and if you call out during blizzards, they find a way to fire the person so that they cannot even get unemployment. It sucks.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:00 AM

6,565 posts, read 6,663,041 times
Quote:

You are so clever! Love the Siberacuse comment.

I have to say, I just wouldn't want to live in upstate New York. My relatives do it, but I have no desire to live in such a hostile climate. When I look at the recently released US population migration data, it looks like a lot of people feel the way I do about it and are leaving for areas with a better climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment