Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:16 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Lisan23 is somewhat misleading. She is in North Dakota and these jobs apply to physically hard labor in the oil industry.

On other posts she mentions these workers having to live in motels at a high rate of pay due to a housing shortage and groceries being expensive.

So it is not a situation that will work for everyone.

It's great that their working, but I don't understand why she didn't share some of that in this post.

I believe the OP was talking more about office jobs.

Not roughneck jobs.
Wrong.

First, roughneck jobs pay over $20/hr.

Second, office positions (which we staff for as well) are also paying $13-$15/hr. I only have a couple at $12.The 3 most recent clerical positions I staffed for paid $14+/hr.

You can easily verify that office jobs in this area are paying in that range by registering on jobsnd.com (the state job site).

The most difficult oil jobs pay well over $15/hr, but you have to have experience to work them and often times some sort of degree or certification.

According to jobsnd.com bank tellers are even making upwards of $13.50/hr or more.

They have to pay like that when places like Hardee's are paying $11/hr.

Yes, there is a shortage of housing. Yes, it is expensive to live here. But the pay reflects that and it's doable IF you can find a place to stay or are willing to stay in your car or camper. (I know people doing this.)

It's getting just as hard to find people for office jobs up here as it is for every other industry. Even a quick browse through the Shopper (The Shopper Inc., - Classifieds: Help Wanted, Real Estate & More - Williston, North Dakota. We're not your average newspaper!) will show that there are quite a few office positions up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Exactly.The jobs she is talking about involve hard physical labor and some danger and health hazards. Some of this involves 7 days a week.

I don't see too many middle aged laid off office workers being able to do this even if they wanted to.

She also mentioned that many are paying top dollar living in the local motels and I believe she said something about high food costs(I.E. $5 for a gallon of milk).

IMO, she could have clarified more as to what type of work and where she was talking about.

Some people on this forum who are really hard up might think this is a possibility since she mentioned she hired a CD poster.

Only to find out they couldn't for various reasons even consider this option.
I have a broker from Chicago working as a wireline operator for me now.

He's one of numerous people who have been laid off or let go from their comfy office jobs to come here and do manual labor. Believe it or not, most of the time they can hack it. It's usually the farm boys that can't.

AND we do have office jobs up here, LOTS of them that are in the same pay range. The market has shifted to also include this kind of help over the last month or 2. There's just a desperate need of employees in all lines of work.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:33 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
Live in a car in North Dakota in the winter?

Old 01-10-2011, 09:46 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
My point was you left out a lot of information in your first post. The majority of jobs you have involve physical labor and relocating to North Dakota, not an option for many people.

You're original post IMO came off some what flippant. As if to say "what are you all talking about there are plenty of jobs".

That is why I felt a clarification was needed.

Hey if someone can go from an office job to working in the oil fields doing manual labor good for them.

But not everyone can physically do that. A 27 yr old former stockbroker who goes to the gym three times a week might be able to do it.

Someone in their 40s and on up may just not be able to.

And $13 and $15 an hour is not a lot of money when you factor in the high cost of living you have mentioned in the past.

I remember you posting about how expensive it was there(sounds like Alaska). And it sounds like the local motels are taking advantage of the housing shortage.

Your first post left a lot off. A couple of sentences stating BTW this is in ND and involves mostly intense manual labor would clear it up for a lot of people.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:32 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Each region of the country have their own types of industries, whether it be oil, offices, agriculture, assembly & manufactures, or whatever and the cost of living that goes with those territories well vary as well.

Here in north central Ohio you'll find mostly factory assembly work and the average pay for temps is between $8.00 and &12.00 and hour with no benefits. 40 to 70 hrs a week and in many cases (Mandatory long hours) or they just push you back out the door and get someone who will work at their whim in the sweatshops. Temps Services are no different than those companies that you find that hire illegals, FORCE them work like dog and pay them with peanuts in the hotel industry.

Now I do understand that some (SOME) companies use the temp services to hire through. Because it is easier for them to weed out the non-hackers before they offer them a job and start the on their 90 day probation period. But most of the time it's because the company falls behind in production, they get temps and use them to help them to catch up again and then they toss them back out the door again, (cheap Labor for profit). (Slave Labor)

Old 01-11-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
My point was you left out a lot of information in your first post. The majority of jobs you have involve physical labor and relocating to North Dakota, not an option for many people.

You're original post IMO came off some what flippant. As if to say "what are you all talking about there are plenty of jobs".

That is why I felt a clarification was needed.

Hey if someone can go from an office job to working in the oil fields doing manual labor good for them.

But not everyone can physically do that. A 27 yr old former stockbroker who goes to the gym three times a week might be able to do it.

Someone in their 40s and on up may just not be able to.

And $13 and $15 an hour is not a lot of money when you factor in the high cost of living you have mentioned in the past.

I remember you posting about how expensive it was there(sounds like Alaska). And it sounds like the local motels are taking advantage of the housing shortage.

Your first post left a lot off. A couple of sentences stating BTW this is in ND and involves mostly intense manual labor would clear it up for a lot of people.
And saying all temp agencies are another form of slave labor is nice?

Silly me. I guess I must have been reading a different post.

Everytime I post in this forum I'm not going to explain the situation in ND. This is about temp agencies, I work for a temp agency that doesn't hire people for "slave labor". If our jobs didn't pay enough to survive then the people who came out here to work them would have left already. But they haven't. If someone wants to know more about ND it takes a matter of seconds to find several articles online outlying the jobs situation here as well as the housing issues. Heck, you can hop on over to the ND forum on here and find out there too. But there's no reason for me to go through and explain that completely every single time I post on here if someone isn't actually interested in coming to ND.

If my attitude is flippant maybe it's because I'm a little bit tired of hearing people constantly bash the industry I'm in because they can't get a job. That sucks, I know it sucks, my husband was laid off for a few months before we came to ND. That being said, I'm tired of the generalizations and the automatic assumption that every temp agency is the same.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:24 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
And saying all temp agencies are another form of slave labor is nice?

Silly me. I guess I must have been reading a different post.

Everytime I post in this forum I'm not going to explain the situation in ND. This is about temp agencies, I work for a temp agency that doesn't hire people for "slave labor". If our jobs didn't pay enough to survive then the people who came out here to work them would have left already. But they haven't. If someone wants to know more about ND it takes a matter of seconds to find several articles online outlying the jobs situation here as well as the housing issues. Heck, you can hop on over to the ND forum on here and find out there too. But there's no reason for me to go through and explain that completely every single time I post on here if someone isn't actually interested in coming to ND.

If my attitude is flippant maybe it's because I'm a little bit tired of hearing people constantly bash the industry I'm in because they can't get a job. That sucks, I know it sucks, my husband was laid off for a few months before we came to ND. That being said, I'm tired of the generalizations and the automatic assumption that every temp agency is the same.

What are you talking about? Where did I say anything about temp agencies and slave labor?

Don't twist it around. I said you could have posted a couple of sentences(your post wasn't short) and just said BTW this is in ND and involves the oil industry.

That the work is not for everyone rather than just mentioning there are jobs galore.

You did after I mentioned it. But nowhere in my posts do I bash temp agencies.

A temp agency could be a good solution for someone who can't find steady work.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:04 AM

302 posts, read 580,361 times
not all temp agencies are created equal. I just quit a job with a temp agency- I'm 50 plus and 10 hours a day, 6 days a week job all while standing was too difficult for me. The agency I used paid holidays after 1900 hours, the other temp agency the company used paid holidays after 90 days. Both agencies paid the exact same hourly wage. Both companies assured us that it was a temp to hire position after 90 days but most of the temps on my line had been there 8-10 months with no sign of them being hired.

I do know that if I decide to try temping again it won't be with the same company I used.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:37 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Does anyone else feel that "Temp services" are just another form of slave labor. People go to these temp services companies, they put you at companies that treat you like crap with low pay and most of the times in the worst working conditions. All this in hopes that you MAY get a chance to get employed there full time.
I feel it's just another way for the companies to put out the products, make a ton of money off the temps, no benefits for those that kill themselves for a few scrap of change and then when they are through with you, your out the door starting all over again at another sweat shop.
Sorry, but it's always been this way - maybe worse now.

Good news is that you don't have to get caught up in all the small and petty office politics when "just a temp."

Old 01-11-2011, 12:02 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof11 View Post
not all temp agencies are created equal. I just quit a job with a temp agency- I'm 50 plus and 10 hours a day, 6 days a week job all while standing was too difficult for me. The agency I used paid holidays after 1900 hours, the other temp agency the company used paid holidays after 90 days. Both agencies paid the exact same hourly wage. Both companies assured us that it was a temp to hire position after 90 days but most of the temps on my line had been there 8-10 months with no sign of them being hired.

I do know that if I decide to try temping again it won't be with the same company I used.
There ya have it, "Cheap slave labor". I hope you get a great job soon momof11, and it pays twice as much as the temp office employees get, with benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment