Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 03:44 AM

57 posts, read 125,100 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a college student. I should be graduating in 2012. I am I computer science major and I when I'm done with school I would like to work over seas somewhere. I would prefer to work in a more Spanish speaking country because I one point in working overseas is that I would really like to learn and become fluent in Spanish. I've been googling trying to find other forums or websites that might be helpful in assisting me with finding more information about this idea, but nothing has been really helpful. So maybe someone out there can help.

I would like to know how I can find jobs in other countries overseas and things i would have to do to be able to work there. (ie. - contract jobs, temp work, internships, work visas)

I would like to know how to find out how much of a demand IT jobs are in specific countries like Spain, Costa Rica, PR...maybe South America and wages.

Thanks to anyone who can help...if I think of anything else...I will post it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 04:04 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
I think your odds of getting a job in Spain any time soon are nil because they have the developed world's worst unemployment for young people (40% for under 25s!) plus for them to hire a non-European citizen (I assume you only have a US passport) the company would have to prove there was nobody in Europe who could do what you could do, plus the language barrier. If you don't already speak fluent Spanish I'd suggest doing an intensive course somewhere in Latin America beforehand. Apart from ESL teachers (an easier option for an American wanting to work abroad) most working expats I have known started their careers in their home country and were transferred over by their company.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:47 AM

57 posts, read 125,100 times
so that just basically crushed that idea...

i was really hoping to go to a spanish speaking country to learn the language and get work experience not specifically just spain, but if spain has a bad unemployment rate i assume the rest do too. i was really hoping to jump start my career after i graduate, but it seems like a more realistic option would be to either go study abroad and get my masters overseas by way of learning spanish or just stay here and work and learn spanish in america (mostly likely won't work out)...bummer!

maybe someone else will hve something to say

Old 01-11-2011, 11:50 AM

935 posts, read 2,410,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizterKewl View Post

i was really hoping to go to a spanish speaking country to learn the language and get work experience not specifically just spain, but if spain has a bad unemployment rate i assume the rest do too. i was really hoping to jump start my career after i graduate, but it seems like a more realistic option would be to either go study abroad and get my masters overseas by way of learning spanish or just stay here and work and learn spanish in america (mostly likely won't work out)...bummer!

Just b/c Spain is having a bad time it doesn't mean other countries are having the same amount of horrible unemployment. Spain is pretty different from Central American and South American countries (especially language wise). I've been to Spain and while they do speak Spanish there are some differences. I'm not saying that Central and South American countries are booming, but it's best best not to confuse them with Spain's economy.

Do some research on some of the other countries. Also, ask your international studies department or career center for more information about volunteer or work abroad opportunities.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:13 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Spain is sort of a special situation. So many older people retire there and that's becoming their main industry. Sort of a second home place for millions of EU citizens. Mostly because of the weather. The coasts are crowded in the Winter and some places are amazingly deserted in the Summer. But it's a great place and very enjoyable. I've spent a lot of time in the Costa Blanco area and I love it.

If you are serious about overseas employment, you need to possess some special skill that someone needs. Generally, just a degree won't do it. You need experience. Look up jobs at US companies that send people overseas like Brown and Root, Aramco, and see what's out there. Spain is a place lots of people would enjoy so there will be competition for jobs there. The Navy stations a lot of people in Spain because if it's strategic importance. Probably the other branches of the service do too. And a degree would get you in as an officer. Lots of Military Intelligence type jobs in Spain.

The majority of jobs overseas won't be in places high on your list as great locations to live. Have you considered Mexico or Central America? Those might hold more opportunity than Spain.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:44 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,221 times
South America is a good destination for Spanish speakers as well.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:05 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times
Quote:
Hi, I am a college student. I should be graduating in 2012. I am I computer science major and I when I'm done with school I would like to work over seas somewhere. I would prefer to work in a more Spanish speaking country because I one point in working overseas is that I would really like to learn and become fluent in Spanish. I've been googling trying to find other forums or websites that might be helpful in assisting me with finding more information about this idea, but nothing has been really helpful. So maybe someone out there can help.

I would like to know how I can find jobs in other countries overseas and things i would have to do to be able to work there. (ie. - contract jobs, temp work, internships, work visas)

I would like to know how to find out how much of a demand IT jobs are in specific countries like Spain, Costa Rica, PR...maybe South America and wages.

Thanks to anyone who can help...if I think of anything else...I will post it.

MizterKewl,

Your best bet for IT work out of the country is to find companies that you might be interested in that do worldwide business... especially in the country area that you'd be interested in.

As others have stated, a company usually prefers a person to have real-life experience before sending them out of their country of origin, so this would give you a foot in the door, allow you to get in the due experience necessary and then allow you to put in a transfer to one of their branches or corporate office in the location you aspire to.
This way you can keep your U.S. pay rate in countries that pay lower rates and receive a bump-up for those that are higher.

There are many companies that are headquartered in the U.S. with offices throughout the world, as well as many non-U.S. companies doing business in the U.S. that are headquartered in other countries (for example, HSBC w/hdq in Hong Kong). InfoVision is also an IT powerhouse headquartered in India.

For a list of the largest global companies by country, see this example for the U.S.: The Global 2000 - Forbes.com. Just change the country from the U.S. to whatever other country you're interested in looking up.

And, to address the language issue, like other posters have already stated, you really DO need to at least have the basic knowledge, both written and spoken, to be able to communicate effectively in a Spanish country. While most European and Asian countries do learn and speak English as a second language, it is not commonly taught in most Spanish-speaking countries until college and then still is not a requirement.

I found this out the hard way on one assignment of mine that was in Mexico when about 50% of the company employees spoke no English, including two of my direct reports that did not understand, speak, read or write English... definitely made for a very interesting situation requiring a constant English-to-Spanish and Spanish-to-English interpreter and lots of wasted time! In addition, the PC Microsoft software version installed was the Spanish version (all commands were in Spanish), not the taken-for-granted English version we use (example, Search in the English version is Buscar in the Spanish version). On top of that, they used a Spanish keyboard... the alphabet keys were the same as our English version but all the symbols were different and in different key locations. !?!Who knew!?!

So, bottom line, 'tis a whole 'nother world out there that you certainly need to research and learn about before going past the U.S. borders! But, DO do your research and GO! 'Tis an awesome experience!

Old 06-11-2011, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,179 times
If you're looking for jobs abroad, it's worth to check out a expat job board called ExpatHiring.com.

They might be able to help you find a suitable IT jobs overseas or even an English speaking job in Spain.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:10 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:

I think this is your best bet ... It isn't easy living in a foreign country especially when you don't know the language .... Study Abroad is a better option as you can live and become immersed into the language and culture and use that to enhance your qualifications here in the US .... Many states with a high concentration of Latino/a populations have need for a bilingual employees.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:09 AM

123 posts, read 245,546 times
Since you are a CS major, check out "Start-Up Chile". Its a program where people from all over the world are invited to Chile at the gov's cost as long as they have a good idea. The website has more details.
Start-Up Chile – Entrepreneurs Welcome! - Boosting High Potential Entrepreneurship in Chile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment