Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 04:56 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times

Advertisements

Good Morning Everyone,

Hubby and I have been running into an issue that we haven't seen before when looking or trying to apply for jobs online, the ads direct to some "HR" Checking company that "wants to make sure" the information on the application is correct!? why wouldn't it be? on one hand and second....how is anyone going to get a job up there prior to moving if we can't even get passed these non sense websites who ask us to call and then we do and then nothing happens other than talking to someone who has no basic knowledge of HR even (which happened to me the other day)! I don't get this at all.......is this some scam to collect private information? or are people really prevented from applying to jobs unless their resume is a perfect match to a job!? we both have experience in our fields and this makes no sense....and BTW This didn't just happen in PA, it happened here locally as well...it almost looks like an HR conspiracy.....Do any of you know of any way to actually be in direct communications with a prospective employer?

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 06:43 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
This sounds like something that is not Philly/PA-specific so I'm going to move this to the Work and Employment forum.

But before I do, I wanted to say that from my experience, there are some companies who hire employment agencies - the would-be "HR companies" - to essentially screen/weed out applicants so that their own HR employees aren't overwhelmed with sifting through what could be hundreds or thousands of applications. I imagine this employment agency essentially receives a finder's fee of a percentage of your salary if/when the candidate that they forward gets hired.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:51 AM

Ok, so then, what is the best way to find a job in Philadelphia?

Old 01-11-2011, 07:01 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Not just in your location...

..anywhere -- TALK TO PEOPLE. I don't care if they are friends, people you meet at church/ club / museum, just TALK TO PEOPLE. younwould be amazed who much that helps you jump mover the "stack of resumes" and actually get an interview!

I would NOT give too much info to any company that did not identify themselves and provide a real street address that you could verify / real name where you can call 'em back after you google the whole operation.

To many crag is list scammers tom trust anyone...

Old 01-11-2011, 09:27 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,731 times
I'm suspicious of any response that requires some kind of extra hoop, especially if they want you to register or sign up for anything. This sounds like a scam to me, depending on what they're trying to get you to do. That being said, I would have missed out on a lot of interviews if I didn't respond to craigslist ads that gave no info. It's pretty common practice in my area for smaller businesses to not give info in ads.

It sounds like the poster is wanting to find a job before moving to the area, so it might be difficult to use the traditional "talk to people" method. These days, I'm not sure how people manage to find a job if they don't already live somewhere, unless it's with a large company or maybe some government jobs.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:06 AM

"Talking to people" would be very hard to do, since we are not there yet...and won't move without a job lined up...

Yesterday I applied for a job I could have been very good at and instead of the HR the "competition" replied and told me to take a hike basically While the job was still posted on their website.....basically she didn't want any competition at her job....I emailed through the ad email, then that one came back with an error so I emailed the director which sent an out of the office reply and some how my email got to this person.......when I emailed back pointing to where I applied from and that the job was alive and well she blew me off.

I don't even want to deal with HR companies and their practices...they bounced me around a few times in the past so I rather not go that route. But.....still need to find work....so I am at a loss as to where or how to approach this now not being in that state.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:50 PM

470 posts, read 1,036,816 times
This is called phishing.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:07 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Ok, so then, what is the best way to find a job in Philadelphia?
Careerbuilder and Craiglist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment