U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 10:30 AM

13 posts, read 11,311 times
Default Networking....YEA RIGHT !

After doing everything I knew to do to find employment and not having any luck over a two year period, I pretty much realized that I have nothing left under my sleeve to pull out. I can no longer continue doing this on my own because it just is NOT working.

So I decided to do what people have been telling me for years and years....NETWORKING. Maybe we can at least get my foot in the door someplace since my resumes won't get me interviews. Alright.....I'm excited again about finding employment ...YES !!!

Networking with family: Mom, Dad, Sister, Cousins, affluent Aunt and Uncle. After talking to them about my lack of results on my own, my family members basically blew me off, either unable to comprehend the term "networking", or more over, not wanting to take time out of their lives to help me. Why should they care, they all have secure great paying jobs and everything in their life is cheery. Don't want to deal with someone that is unemployed.

Networking with friends: Same deal. I contacted friends that have lived in the same community for 20 years, but when I metioned networking to help me find employment, all of a sudden they don't know anyone to talk to. B.S. They again didn't want to invest any time outside of their own lives to help. I'm talking not even willing to lift a finger. I guess they were not the friends I thought they were.

Networking with my Alumni: After contacting several members of my alum, over half would not return my initial contact after they found out that I needed employment. The people that did respond only gave a half assed response showing no real enthusiasm in helping a fellow alum. No help here.

Networking with Churches: Now I am really reaching out to any group that might help me. I picked 3 of the largest churches in my area and made appointments with the pastors. Surely with a network of 300 plus people at each location, I can find one or two people that would be willing to help me get the word out. Of course they will, I have had zero income for 2 years and am now on food stamps. The first pastor's best advice was to watch the obituaries and apply at the company that the dead guy worked for and get his job. Really? I am here to network with your congregation and things are getting desparate. Obituaries was the best he would do. Church 2 and 3 said they could not help me with "networking"

Networking with total strangers: Guess what happened? "Click"!

Networking is B.S.

I don't care if you are living out of your car and eating out of dumsters. The bottom line is that people in general will not go out of their way or invest any of their own time to help someone trying to "network".

When I approached everyone mentioned above, I approached them with kid gloves. I absolutlely made sure they did not feel obligated or under any pressure. Rather, I approched it as a team project that could end in a rewarding experience for both parties.

Networking : What a joke and waste of time. To all above, "thanks a bunch" for all the help when I was in a tight spot. I will remember it for a long time.

If you don't believe it, give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 10:43 AM

26,365 posts, read 51,661,319 times
"According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 70 percent of all jobs are found through networking."

from

Networking as a job search tool | Examiner.com

Old 01-13-2011, 10:48 AM

3,394 posts, read 2,363,185 times
Networking has always helped me in the past. I do understand the part about people not caring though. It seems that most folks don't have any empathy for other people's situations.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:50 AM

24,022 posts, read 12,967,382 times
Networking is most associated with people you've dealt with in your career. A lot of sales people get jobs with people who were their clients - I did.

I posted this thead a couple weeks ago to assist people such as yourself.

Some Employment Resources

Old 01-13-2011, 10:51 AM

40,250 posts, read 43,086,481 times
Did you approach your friends and relatives and whine about how everything else has failed? If so, I'd blow you off too. You need to approach networking the same way you do in a job search---by telling friends and family what you have to offer and talking yourself up. Whining about how everything you have done didn't work isn't networking---it's whining and complaining and drawing attention to your failures.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:58 AM

126 posts, read 455,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Networking is most associated with people you've dealt with in your career. [snipped]
Agreed. When I think of networking, I think of things
such as "LinkedIn" ... keeping up with everyone I've
been associated with career-wise.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:00 AM

5,004 posts, read 4,898,227 times
Have you gone to your local Employment Development Department? Your state might have something called Workforce Investment Act. Regardless if you have a college education or not, they can help you get into networking groups with your educational background and skill set and help you locate a job.

I was out of work nine months. I have a vocational school certificate and the WIA still helped me find a job. I suggest you go visit your local EDD (or whatever it's called in the state you live in) and find out what options there are there for you.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:03 AM

6,090 posts, read 9,281,722 times
It's possible it is the way you are going about it. 3 of my 4 post college jobs were 100% networking jobs. That was when the employment market was really tight like it is right now. The one post college job where networking wasn't a factor was when pretty much everyone was getting hired and employers in my industry were offering bonuses, which is/was completely unheard of.

Even the volunteer place I go to asked if I was currently employed or not, and if not they would help look around, and I hadn't even signed up yet!!

Old 01-13-2011, 11:08 AM

56 posts, read 65,829 times
I found my job on Craigslist. Then I just kept getting promoted. I don't necessarily think one way is better than the next. As long as the end result is your employment.

Hell, You could be a homeless guy on the street with a great voice and find a job. Sometimes it's luck.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:08 AM

1,894 posts, read 4,207,871 times
In my entire life I have found only ONE job through networking-and that was in High School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment