Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:40 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times

Advertisements

This has to be based on actual powers he has AND this is not for political bashing!

How would you put 15 MILLION Americans back to work? How about the millions more that are under-employed?

For the purposes of this thread, assume you are President and represent whatever party you belong (or dont) too and that the current Congress is what you would have to work with.

Does the President even have that kind of power?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 08:50 PM

70 posts, read 78,333 times
WPA style hiring spree targeted at rebuilding our infrastructure and creating green energy jobs.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:52 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,221 times
I probably wouldn't do anything different. What could an anonymous city-data poster know that hundreds of PhDs and MBAs don't already know?

Besides, the world economy is a gigantic machine; even the POTUS has limited power to make adjustments to it.

Also, as mentioned in an earlier thread, the unemployment rate amongst college educated people - the people who are probably most responsible for corporate profits - have fairly low unemployment (less than 5%???). What's the pressure?

Finally, the president's goal isn't to solve unemployment - his goal is to get re-elected. Come election time, he'll probably have a plan to lower the numbers or at least make the numbers not look so bad.

Last edited by proudmommy; 01-07-2011 at 09:00 PM..

Old 01-07-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncav4 View Post
WPA style hiring spree targeted at rebuilding our infrastructure and creating green energy jobs.
With what money? The government is big enough debt as it is. Don't you think they would have done that already? Don't you think they already thought of that?

Old 01-07-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
With what money? The government is big enough debt as it is. Don't you think they would have done that already? Don't you think they already thought of that?
Save me the Tea Party talk. Deficit spending is supposed to occur when the economy is in a recession, that it what got this country out of the Great Depression.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncav4 View Post
Save me the Tea Party talk. Deficit spending is supposed to occur when the economy is in a recession, that it what got this country out of the Great Depression.
WWII played a big part and 1930s unemployment was a lot worse than today's unemployment. More drastic measures such as those were reasonable.

OK Smarty Pants, so why aren't they doing it?

Old 01-07-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Because we have a bunch of idiots in Congress.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:11 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
I would levy a HUGE tax on any company that ships jobs overseas. And I'd also remember protectionism and institute it again. And I'd end the damn wars and close down several bases. I'd spend what resources we have here at home. I'd give incentives or tax breaks to anyone who hires the unemployed and ESPECIALLY the long term unemployed. I'd provide free training to anyone who needs it to AT LEAST get some skills to get back into the market (I'm not talking college degrees here).

Old 01-07-2011, 09:20 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,614 times
Quote:

Because "they" don't care. The president is just carrying out the commands of his corporate and bankster donors- which is to stand back and let them do anything they want to fatten up their bottom line, and if Americans become "collateral damage", too bad.

One bit of our indoctrination that I'd love to see fall by the wayside, and fast, is that our government actually represents the interests of the common people, because it's obvious they don't. I don't know how many more free trade agreements, illegitimate wars of choice, anti-civil liberties legislation, and blatantly pro-corporate (and anti-people) pieces of banking/financial legislation & court rulings these jokers have to pass before a critical mass of the populace "get it" (although knowing this country, we're not even close at this point). These "two parties" are actually two wings of the Money Party.

So, to answer the OP's question- I guess to actually care about the problem would be a wonderful first step.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I would levy a HUGE tax on any company that ships jobs overseas. And I'd also remember protectionism and institute it again. And I'd end the damn wars and close down several bases. I'd spend what resources we have here at home. I'd give incentives or tax breaks to anyone who hires the unemployed and ESPECIALLY the long term unemployed. I'd provide free training to anyone who needs it to AT LEAST get some skills to get back into the market (I'm not talking college degrees here).
Why not just order all the corporations to hire all the unemployed people? Why complicate it with taxes? While you're at it Madame President, hire all the unemployed people for $70K/year and order all the corporations to sell everything at 50% off.

Now, for ending the wars, that's a good idea too. Just go make Al Qaeda and the Taliban and Iran and North Korea promise they won't do anything wrong. Once they do that, we can practically dissolve our military.

And rather than give the unemployed free training, why not just give them a million dollars? That would be much quicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment