Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:22 AM

16 posts, read 41,775 times

Advertisements

Hello City-data users,
I have a question and your opinion and advice will be very appreciated.
There is the option for me to pursue a career in dentistry. The obvious pros of this choice are: very high above-average income and job security, prestige, social status, once I manage to become licensed, the benefits of this track are near-certain. The price of this choice is correspondingly high: the next decade, give or take one or two years will be mostly devoted to this eventual career.
I am fortunate to have this option because my parents are willing to fund the further education required.
The other option I have is to face the real world on my own and pursue a job/career straight away.
What would you do? Which path would you pursue and why?
Briefly about me; I am 24 years old, and have a BA. I grew up in a very protected and well-provided for environment; and have not had very extensive work and real-life experience.
Thank you sincerely for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 08:53 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_with_a_mac View Post
Hello City-data users,
I have a question and your opinion and advice will be very appreciated.
There is the option for me to pursue a career in dentistry. The obvious pros of this choice are: very high above-average income and job security, prestige, social status, once I manage to become licensed, the benefits of this track are near-certain. The price of this choice is correspondingly high: the next decade, give or take one or two years will be mostly devoted to this eventual career.
I am fortunate to have this option because my parents are willing to fund the further education required.
The other option I have is to face the real world on my own and pursue a job/career straight away.
What would you do? Which path would you pursue and why?
Briefly about me; I am 24 years old, and have a BA. I grew up in a very protected and well-provided for environment; and have not had very extensive work and real-life experience.
Thank you sincerely for the help!
Do you have the academic qualifications to get accepted to dental school? If so, do you think you would like being a dentist, the job, the business? Remember a dentist is a businessman. He cares for teeth but he spends a lot of energy running the business hiring hygienists, ordering and maintaining equipment, seeking clients, dealing with leases, etc. Is this for you? If so, go for it.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:58 AM

56 posts, read 121,627 times
My Uncle is a Dentist. He lives very, very well. I would sacrifice the years now. To have 30+ years of a good time.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:02 AM

126 posts, read 335,564 times
Getting into an American dental school is as hard if not harder than getting into medical school. Study for the DAT and see how you do, otherwise it's all pie in the sky.

And before fantasizing about the prestige and money, it might behoove you to actually shadow various dentists for a few weeks. You might hate it.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:02 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Dentist

Old 01-14-2011, 09:48 AM

16 posts, read 41,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Do you have the academic qualifications to get accepted to dental school? If so, do you think you would like being a dentist, the job, the business? Remember a dentist is a businessman. He cares for teeth but he spends a lot of energy running the business hiring hygienists, ordering and maintaining equipment, seeking clients, dealing with leases, etc. Is this for you? If so, go for it.
I am currently enrolled in a dental program in the Philippines. Should I decide to pursue practice in the USA (I am American), would this be a challenging path to take (acceptance to further schools wise)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by james011 View Post
Getting into an American dental school is as hard if not harder than getting into medical school. Study for the DAT and see how you do, otherwise it's all pie in the sky.

And before fantasizing about the prestige and money, it might behoove you to actually shadow various dentists for a few weeks. You might hate it.
Thanks for the replies!

I have some experience with observing a dentist watching my mother in her 30-year career. From what I see, she is satisfied, but might not be too thrilled about her work.

Would you personally do work that you dislike, but pays well and comes with prestige?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:49 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Would you personally do work that you dislike, but pays well and comes with prestige?

Tough question. You got to eat. You got to be happy. Best to do something where the two lines intersect.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 17,208 times
I could not do it even though I was a practicing dentist and I was seriously torn between so-called prestige, a good pay, but eventually it's your heart and what really makes you tick. Instead of spending all those years in dentistry, (and then quitting) I should have studied medicine and I would be happy and fufilled till the day I retired!

Old 03-24-2011, 04:14 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
No contest. I would go to Dental School.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:32 PM

143 posts, read 377,910 times
Quote:
I am currently enrolled in a dental program in the Philippines. Should I decide to pursue practice in the USA (I am American), would this be a challenging path to take (acceptance to further schools wise)?
So you are asking if you would be accepted to a dental school in the US, correct? You should probably head to Student Doctor Network and read their dental forums to see about that. I'm not sure why you think it would take you a decade. Dental school is only four years and there is no required residency. If you are currently enrolled in a Philippines dental school, I suggest you come back to the us begin preparation for admission to a US dental school. My understanding is foreign dental students have a difficult time getting licensed in this country. If you already have the prereqs, study for the DAT and go from there.

That said, it almost sounds like you are attracted to the superficial aspects of the profession rather than the actual work involved. I would strongly suggest you think about your options if that is the case. Prestige doesn't mean much when you're signing a lease, having to manage your office, or trying to buy ads for your practice. Moreover, the money think takes hard work and is not handed out to you. My dentist closed her practice and went to teach dental school. I doubt it was because she was making too much money. Can you deal with not making much starting out? Or even risk not making as much to your liking? The only constant will be your enjoyment of this profession.

Remember that you will be spending decades in a profession, that the bulk of your waking hours will be at your job. How much is your life worth to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment