Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 02:22 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,471,426 times

Advertisements

Depends on how much I'm getting paid and how enjoyable the job is. I've done 60-80 hour weeks for months straight (I took weekends off, just worked long days) and it wasn't sustainable and led to burnout. I've found I'm able to get more done on shorter weeks anyway, but this is job dependent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 02:30 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,974,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
Several of my potential jobs expect me to work 10 hours per day, including weekends.

I really don't know how I'll be able to handle it. I've mostly worked 8 hours per day, 5 days per week.
10 hours a day is the norm for me-LOL

Old 01-15-2011, 07:48 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,112,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Until they become real successful, that's when they drop do 30 hours, tops, per week.
I don't know what Corporate world you work in, but this is not anywhere close to reality in mine.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:06 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,893,720 times
I've done ten hour days, usually including weekends, for years. Whether or not it is sustainable largely depends on everything else--how long is your commute, do you have children you need to care for, or other obligations?

I've always found it odd the people who insist that they can't work ten hour days and yet spend an hour+ commuting. Is it not the same thing?

Old 01-15-2011, 09:31 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,523,321 times
Delivering groceries, my average workday is 10-12 hours; average 55+ hours/week. I love what I do but I'd like to work 50 or less per week. But that ain't gonna happen in this job...

Old 01-15-2011, 09:35 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,916,573 times
How did it ever get to be that it was acceptable to work more than 40 hours per week? I guess if money is your only value, then go for it. If health is any concern, you might want to consider alternatives.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:35 PM
PYT

122 posts, read 290,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Ya, but once they open a practice they work about 25 hours a week.

Here's your typical phone machine message at a doctor's office:
"Hello, You've reached Dr. Golf N. Cheatinonspouse's office. If this is an emergency call 911 now [now they've released themselves from any liability]. Our normal office hours are Mondays through Thursdays 9 to 4 with lunch from 11 to 1. Friday's 9 to 11. We are taking our next appointments [three months from now] in April. Our latest appointment is 3PM. If arriving for your first appointment, please arrive 45 minutes early [so you can fill out 19 forms which release us from any liability and guarantee we'll get paid. The forms always ask both your age and your DOB because we're too stupid to figure out your age from your DOB. We also need your SSN nine times because we couldn't care less about your risk of identity theft. Finally we ask the same information each time on each form because we are still using 1950s technology in this office and we can't transfer information from one form onto multiple forms - so you need to enter the same information over and over and over.]. If you can't make an appointment please let us know three weeks in advance or we will charge you $150. [We double book so there's a 95% chance you'll be sitting around in the waiting room for 90 minutes.]"
Absolute bull

The average doctors works 51-55 hrs/week. I know countless of physicians and not a single one of them knows someone who runs a practice and works less than 40 hrs a week. In medicine, 40 hrs/week is considered "part time".

The only possible way I can conceive a doctor working 25 hrs/week is a part time ER physician or hospitalist working two overnight 12 hour shifts (which would be quite unusual).

Obviously, you have a vendetta against physicians. 95% of your post was just doctor bashing.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:56 PM

10,027 posts, read 9,495,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
No doctor works 25 hours/week. Many operate in multiple practices.
Also most physicans see patients in the hospital before and after office hours.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:35 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,343,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
No doctor works 25 hours/week. Many operate in multiple practices.

I don't know anything about lawyers. I only know corporate america.

Many of those people, though, are working during lunch (meetings over meals) and working/reading material late into the night. Work is more than just the time you spend at your desk.

Uh, my boss sure was conducting "meetings" during his long lunches, but they didn't involve work...

Old 01-16-2011, 08:31 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,635,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
You should have seen the lawyers I worked for. For the ten years I worked for them, this was their typical day: In at 9:30, leave for lunch at 12:00 noon; come back 1:30 or 2:00, leave at 4:00. Plus take one or two afternoons off a week for golf when the weather was suitable. I don't think they gave much though to "changing the world", but my boss had an office full of golf trophies.
I guess what is defined as work.

There are days when I leave at 4:00pm. Of course, days like tomorrow I am putting in a half day even though it is a company holiday.

Tuesday and Thursday I will be traveling early in the morning (6am flights), not to mention driving to different offices. So yeah-- on Wednesday I will probably leave a couple hours early.

Golfing may seem fun, but in past industries where I worked, golfing was another vehicle for business contract negotiation. Same thing as dinners like the 3 I had to go to last week while traveling. Seems fun, seems not like work, but I can assure you it is work. Time spent in the office is not necessarily the only thing that counts as work. There are times I would LOVE to not have to review and respond to emails during the weekend, late at night, etc. (A good portion of my team is international-- the UK, North Africa, India, and Western Europe).

My best friend is a paralegal. Her attorney's schedule seems similar to what you are saying, but he also does a lot of conferences, talks, articles, etc. He travels quite a bit to discuss certain aspects of the law he practices. He is an expert in a certain field of military law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment