Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 03:07 PM

21 posts, read 65,219 times

Advertisements

Harry, what service on the internet do you speak of that will check with my references from my former employer? Thanks again everybody!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 03:17 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,606,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLou View Post
Don't volunteer information that isn't asked for.
There are services right here on the inter-tubes that will make the professional call to check your references with your former employer.
Treat this like any other personal situation that you would not want to discuss in an interview.
Understand you might want to be upfront but, in such a situation, might not want to be totally open and forthcoming; employers may appreciate your honesty even as they back away from hiring you!
Perhaps finesse it in some way?...
Sounds like you learned a difficult lesson...now you need to stop beating yourself up and move forward. As an interim step, I suggest volunteering. You can "give back" and start to restore your confidence in yourself. Also, if you have not apologized, please do so... and thank the person who declined to prosecute.
don't write an apology,make a personal phone call or send a card thanking for kindness......don't detail the issue in writing

Old 01-18-2011, 10:16 PM

43 posts, read 93,879 times
Many companies don't say 'ineligible to rehire' for fear of being sued. My company only states your start and end date. Anything else needs to be put in writing that it is ok to release. My company may just be overly afraid of suits, but maybe you're old company is the same way which means this doesn't need to be brought up unless you need to check that where you ever terminated box. Be as truthful as you need to be nothing more.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:46 PM

21 posts, read 65,219 times
Would it be okay to state that I was laid off instead of fired? Heck I don't even remember them saying that I was either fired or laid off to be honest, he just kept saying this wasn't going to end well regardless of what I said. He started describing what was on tape and he pretty much just got a confession out of me that I had to put in writing and that was just about it.

Oh, and I just looked the word "laid off" up on Google and most of them define it as being "discharged" or "having lost your job", and so on.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:32 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,514,062 times
What employers often ask is whether your eligible for rehire because few will comment on exactly why for legal reasons.Layed off;fired;terminated means little really.What it sound like is you were allowed to resign and I doubt they will commnet further other than no rehireor recommendation.How important that is depends on the new employer really.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:48 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,142,521 times
I agree with the other posters, don't volunteer any information and answer only the questions they ask. They most likely won't ask but if they do keep it as short as possible.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:08 PM

15,961 posts, read 20,923,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toggling 408 View Post
Many companies don't say 'ineligible to rehire' for fear of being sued. My company only states your start and end date. Anything else needs to be put in writing that it is ok to release. My company may just be overly afraid of suits, but maybe you're old company is the same way which means this doesn't need to be brought up unless you need to check that where you ever terminated box. Be as truthful as you need to be nothing more.
How could you be sued for saying 'ineligble for rehire'? That's just a simple statement of fact, just like your hire date and your termination date. As long as they don't go into detail there is no possible slander or defamation.
Asking if an employee is eligble for rehire at their former company is a pretty standard way of finding out if an employee left voluntarily or was let go for cause. I would venture to say that more companies do ask this question than those that don't.

OP you can say you were laid off, but if your potential employer checks it's often very easily verified that your termination was was for cause. Perhaps you could simply ask your previous employer if you were coded off as ineligible for rehire? We give our former employees that information if they ask, although we usually won't give them the specific reason or code.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:34 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,986,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
How could you be sued for saying 'ineligble for rehire'?
Because this is America and people sue for anything. And even win sometimes.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:51 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,624,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toggling 408 View Post
Toggling--- I would disagree.

Every reference check I have personally done even through personal calls or through a service have had the eligible for rehire response given.

Your company may not provide that info, but that definitely has not been my experience.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:56 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,624,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby85 View Post
Would it be okay to state that I was laid off instead of fired? Heck I don't even remember them saying that I was either fired or laid off to be honest, he just kept saying this wasn't going to end well regardless of what I said. He started describing what was on tape and he pretty much just got a confession out of me that I had to put in writing and that was just about it.

Oh, and I just looked the word "laid off" up on Google and most of them define it as being "discharged" or "having lost your job", and so on.
Laid off-- usually means you were part of a reduction in force. It is not something your are unclear about. Typically there is a conversation about due to the business environment, etc you have to be let go. Usually there are more conversations about severance (if any), transition support, etc. It is a completely different conversation than being terminated and you wouldn't mistake it.

Laid off-- is not the same thing as being fired.

If you were not fired and instead they asked for you to tender your resignation and thereby giving you an opportunity to quit versus being fired-- you would also have remebered that conversation.

If they told you that this is your last day and gave you the reason for taking the coat, etc-- that they were letting you go-- that is being fired.

The eligible for rehire/ ineligible for rehire-- is code for whether or not that company would allow you to come back.

If you are fired-- you are 99% of the time ineligible for rehire. If you are laid off-- you are always eligible for rehire as you did not violate company policy, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment