U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 05:49 PM

243 posts, read 979,873 times

Advertisements

The title says it all. They love me in my department, and I am pretty much the "go to" guy. There was an opening for Assistant Manager, but my manager decide to hire someone she worked with in the past outside of the department, rather than myself, who pretty much keeps the department in order. No hard feelings, but there is another opening and the department is located on the same exact floor I work on.

I have outgrown my position, I have had the same position (Customer Service) at a previous bank for about a year and a half and have been in my current position at my current company for a year. I graduated college about 3 years ago, but settled for less because I couldn't really find much in this economy. I am actually wrapping up another undergrad degree in May (Accounting). I really can use the pay increase as I got married this past Summer, and the wife and I are trying to buy our first house. Will my manager find out if I apply? Should I sit down with her first before applying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 06:22 PM

229 posts, read 310,645 times
It depends on if your current boss is supportive of getting ahead. If she isn't, you'll have problems if you confide in her.

Go ahead and apply. If they don't hire you, nothing is lost. If they do, she will have to show a good face about it. Unless you feel the job wouldn'f fit you, go for it.

Most managers are there because of promotion so she should understand if you get the job. And you can always tell her you were not sure you'd get it if she questions you as to why you didn't come to her first.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:25 PM

724 posts, read 894,410 times
Apply for the job. Don't tell your boss right now. They will ask him / her at some point for a reccomendation if you are being considered. There is no point in making a big deal about it unless your boss is the type who would get behind you and go try to advocate for you to get the position. Some are like that and if your boss will wage a campaign for you, then that would be good.

I think you are way overthinking this. If it was a big deal to apply for other jobs within the company, then they wouldn't have internal hires. You don't owe your boss anything other than to do you job while you are there. And, it isn't in any way a slight at the boss that you are applying for another job. So, go for it.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:24 PM

454 posts, read 587,786 times
Depends on the company. We have to have our current boss fill out an employee transfer form. Which informs HR if you had any issues, bad reviews etc. Your boss is aware and that you may or may not get an interview/job offer. Luckily my former boss was understanding and was aware our group was looking to move out. If you don't have any policy like that in place, check with HR as far as procedure for an internal transfer.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:09 PM

17,580 posts, read 20,658,964 times
Check with HR. Our policy is you can apply for internal jobs without telling your boss, but you can't get as far as an interview without your current boss knowing. I have to say though, even if it is not policy I think it is more professional and a common courtesy to tell your boss before you apply.

Personally I would hope your boss would put in a good word for you before you even interview.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:38 PM

243 posts, read 979,873 times
Thanks guys. I just checked my handbook and I would have to notify her before I'm considered...

Old 01-19-2011, 02:38 AM

2,430 posts, read 3,532,316 times
I think it's good to let them know, if for no other reason than so they are not blindsided by it later.

They also may be able to clue you in on some other potential openings (now or in the future) that may be a better fit.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:22 AM

24,533 posts, read 14,582,884 times
Yes.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:14 PM

8,081 posts, read 14,059,114 times
Spill the beans. I hope you have all of your excellent performance documented. You may not get a stellar rec from your current manager. It's most likely not in his/her best interest to see you promoted and moved to another department. Losing your "go to guy" makes your job harder.....

Old 01-19-2011, 08:28 PM

42,284 posts, read 46,085,939 times
Is thisa position realted to accoutnig sicne your wrokig on a degree i that. Really depends on what they are lookig for and length of time to train likel;y. Of course tell your boosss you applied as he proably knows already if same company and will be spoken to ;so you want him/her ready and o your side . If your what you say in his/her eyes he is likely to recommend you as its looks good his/her people advancing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment