Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 07:43 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1027 View Post
I finished school in May 2010 with a BA and studied Criminal Justice. I studied this subject because I do find it very interesting, however I am regretting it pretty badly now. I didn't graduate with the best GPA (2.6/4.0) due to a semester I dropped out of college and did not drop my classes. I know having a degree is always helpful; however I am getting pretty discouraged now that I am having a lot of trouble finding employment. I do NOT want to go into law enforcement (after studying criminal justice, I do not agree with policing in America and the policies they enforce) and finding employment with the state in the field (probation/parole officer or other state jobs) is pretty much impossible in this economy (Illinois), the same goes with the county (Cook).

I do plan on attending graduate school, however until I get out of the debt I am in right now, it will have to wait. So what do I do? I am looking extensively online for employment; however a very, very small portion of jobs posted are somewhat related to my major.

Does anyone have any information that can help me get ahead in my job search? I know this has happened to many people before, and if someone can let me know what they did to get ahead, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
If you can stand the work, the state prison system in Indiana is hiring. It is not all that far from you. Try some of the various prisons within the state of Indiana. A relative of mine is a corrections officer here in the state of Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 09:45 PM

129 posts, read 530,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
Start your own business. One thing this economy has taught all of us is to use our skills for ourselves and not to depend on a company to hire us.
If you must find a job try non-profits, d.a.r.e. programs and anti-drug associations etc. to stay somewhere in your field. Management trainee positions. Earn a certificate in something you can do on the side or full-time to make a living. You might also want to do a paralegal program but look into the financial outlook for your city/state on hiring.
good luck
Thanks for the info. As for starting my own business, I would love to eventually be my own boss some day, but I need to get on my feet first and get some experience and money. Non profits are a great idea. I am working part time at a restaurant for some income, but not making enough for now. I am thinking of volunteering for a drug rehab downtown (that's what I want to go to grad school for eventually) until I can find full time work, so at least that will look good on my resume. I got to say though, that ESL overseas idea is looking pretty good to me. I have been researching that a lot lately and it is pretty appealing to me.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My niece has a degree in criminal justice, too. She is working in a doctor's office. There just wasn't anything out there in that field.

It's still a degree, so if you find yourself looking at some other career, try to think of a way you can slant your resume or an interview by connecting something you learned studying criminal justice to the situation at hand. Like knowing something about human behavior, or the importance of being detail oriented.
Good ideas on the detail orientated part. I do try to adjust my resume for specific positions I am applying for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
If you can stand the work, the state prison system in Indiana is hiring. It is not all that far from you. Try some of the various prisons within the state of Indiana. A relative of mine is a corrections officer here in the state of Indiana.
Thanks, I didn't know the Indiana Dept of Corrections is hiring currently. I applied for Illinois DOC, but to no avail so far. Indiana is only like 15 minutes from me, hopefully there are some prisons in NW Indy, if not, I am willing to relocate. Thanks again!

Old 01-26-2011, 10:57 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
I know having a degree is not useless, I just feel that there are a lot of places that are looking for employees with degrees and when they see my field it's like "what the hell does that degree have to do with this position". Not many places are seeking out entry level workers who have a degree is CJ.

I've applied with homeland security, TSA, other gov't jobs. Pretty much useless applying if you don't have previous work experience with the gov't. Literally every job requires at least a year of prior experience of previous GS-XX pay level.
Someone mentioned Wyoming, but really, think about one of those "flyover" states with very low unemployment rates. The "middle stripe" of the country from the Dakotas down to Texas is where unemployment is very low right now and you could find a job to get some experience. nobody says you have to stay there, but it will be something you look back on years from now as "I once lived in North Dakota doing XX job, and it led to the person I am today".
Most people take jobs directly out of school that have nothing to do with what beomces their "career" later, but the important thing is to build up experience, a paycheck, and networking (getting good recommendations from your bosses). And you never know; you could meet someone who knows someone who knows someone who gets you your "dream" job.

I am in my late 40s have have seen every one of these things happen. Life is full of surprises, but the older you get, the less you're likely to just "up and move somewhere", so now is the time to do that.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:26 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,315 times
you just got done with a degree in a field you have no interest in now?

thats throwing a lot of money down the drain. id at least use it as a prop for entry level jobs

Old 01-26-2011, 08:47 PM

129 posts, read 530,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Someone mentioned Wyoming, but really, think about one of those "flyover" states with very low unemployment rates. The "middle stripe" of the country from the Dakotas down to Texas is where unemployment is very low right now and you could find a job to get some experience. nobody says you have to stay there, but it will be something you look back on years from now as "I once lived in North Dakota doing XX job, and it led to the person I am today".
Most people take jobs directly out of school that have nothing to do with what beomces their "career" later, but the important thing is to build up experience, a paycheck, and networking (getting good recommendations from your bosses). And you never know; you could meet someone who knows someone who knows someone who gets you your "dream" job.

I am in my late 40s have have seen every one of these things happen. Life is full of surprises, but the older you get, the less you're likely to just "up and move somewhere", so now is the time to do that.
Thanks for the info. I am taking the idea of moving abroad for a few years into serious consideration for the simple fact that I know that a few years down the line I won't even be able to, due to a career, family, etc. The only thing I am really concerned about is my loans I have to repay, and getting my credit card paid off before leaving (if I do decide to leave). I am hoping that it will be worth the time and experience; I would not be doing it for the pay, since it only pays about $215 a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
you just got done with a degree in a field you have no interest in now?

thats throwing a lot of money down the drain. id at least use it as a prop for entry level jobs
I did have an interest in the degree when I received it, and I still find the field very interesting however I do not agree with many of the concepts that are used for policing, so that takes the possibility of a police officer out of the equation. Then the fact that any government job requires at least a year prior experience (which I don't have), and most have a hiring freeze isn't helping matters. There are not many options for one in the field if they want to get into a corporate gig with a degree in CJ, most of those opportunities are city/county/state/gov't based.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:42 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,903 times
Cal State's ethnic studies programs falter in changing times - latimes.com

Old 10-31-2013, 08:17 AM

850 posts, read 796,442 times
Quote:
I finished school in May 2010 with a BA and studied Criminal Justice. I studied this subject because I do find it very interesting, however I am regretting it pretty badly now. I didn't graduate with the best GPA (2.6/4.0) due to a semester I dropped out of college and did not drop my classes. I know having a degree is always helpful; however I am getting pretty discouraged now that I am having a lot of trouble finding employment. I do NOT want to go into law enforcement (after studying criminal justice, I do not agree with policing in America and the policies they enforce) and finding employment with the state in the field (probation/parole officer or other state jobs) is pretty much impossible in this economy (Illinois), the same goes with the county (Cook).

I do plan on attending graduate school, however until I get out of the debt I am in right now, it will have to wait. So what do I do? I am looking extensively online for employment; however a very, very small portion of jobs posted are somewhat related to my major.

Does anyone have any information that can help me get ahead in my job search? I know this has happened to many people before, and if someone can let me know what they did to get ahead, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Take any job now that pays regardless of what it is while you think about what you want to do and how to get there. Not that I'm slamming on on you, but I so irritating to hear over and over again people who regret majoring in something cause they can't find a job, they should have thought about it in the first place before dishing out 40k in tuition. History,english, anthropology,psych will get you nowhere unless you want to substitute teach. Computer Science, engineering, accounting all in demand fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment