U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:25 PM

129 posts, read 461,210 times

Advertisements

I finished school in May 2010 with a BA and studied Criminal Justice. I studied this subject because I do find it very interesting, however I am regretting it pretty badly now. I didn't graduate with the best GPA (2.6/4.0) due to a semester I dropped out of college and did not drop my classes. I know having a degree is always helpful; however I am getting pretty discouraged now that I am having a lot of trouble finding employment. I do NOT want to go into law enforcement (after studying criminal justice, I do not agree with policing in America and the policies they enforce) and finding employment with the state in the field (probation/parole officer or other state jobs) is pretty much impossible in this economy (Illinois), the same goes with the county (Cook).

I do plan on attending graduate school, however until I get out of the debt I am in right now, it will have to wait. So what do I do? I am looking extensively online for employment; however a very, very small portion of jobs posted are somewhat related to my major.

Does anyone have any information that can help me get ahead in my job search? I know this has happened to many people before, and if someone can let me know what they did to get ahead, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 10:48 PM

750 posts, read 1,295,026 times
Do not go to grad school. You will just run up more debt. Everybody is running to grad school to wait out the economy. The deal is the debt will last 10 to 20 years and lock you out of many options. Case and point I had an offer to teach ESL overseas. The pay was too low with the grad school debt I had ran up. Thus I could not take the job. Look into the navy or teaching ESL overseas may be a good option for you. Do not count on the economy getting better any time soon. Move if you can afford it.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Do not go to grad school. You will just run up more debt. Everybody is running to grad school to wait out the economy. The deal is the debt will last 10 to 20 years and lock you out of many options. Case and point I had an offer to teach ESL overseas. The pay was too low with the grad school debt I had ran up. Thus I could not take the job. Look into the navy or teaching ESL overseas may be a good option for you. Do not count on the economy getting better any time soon. Move if you can afford it.
See, the career I want to go in to, I will need a masters degree. I'm not too concerned with going right now, I mean grad school will still be there in the future. Where did you find out about ESL jobs overseas? I don't speak any other languages, would this be a problem? What is the pay like? I would LOVE to relocate, I have lived in Chicago my whole life, and want to get out (wouldn't mind moving overseas for a few years). Any advice on the ESL gig would be much appreciated. Thanks for the response!

Old 01-23-2011, 11:50 PM

750 posts, read 1,295,026 times
Dave's ESL Cafe is the best. Look to Asia the wages are better. Your young take the risk you will not be sorry. Think long and hard about grad school the debt is a killer. I do not know what field your looking into. But over the long haul most job fields are going to suck. You do not need any other languages just English. Get your passport see the world do it now.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Dave's ESL Cafe is the best. Look to Asia the wages are better. Your young take the risk you will not be sorry. Think long and hard about grad school the debt is a killer. I do not know what field your looking into. But over the long haul most job fields are going to suck. You do not need any other languages just English. Get your passport see the world do it now.
Cool! Thanks for the info. I hope Direct Loans (Gov't loans) can be deferred for ESL overseas.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:28 AM

5,702 posts, read 16,188,342 times
When I worked in a youth home a long time ago, many of the social workers had Criminal Justice degrees. Does this interest you at all? What about something completely different working for a security firm?

I am kind of in the same boat. I went to school for graphic design at a business school. It was heavy in marketing and business. Half way through I learned I hate business. Not sure what I will do now. I just graduated in December so within a few months the loans will be coming due. I wish I could continue on with my education and not go back to work for a little while yet but my husband needs a break from working so much OT.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:32 AM

156 posts, read 280,668 times
Seems like we're in very similar situations. I graduated with my degree in Criminology in 2008, got a good GPA (3.38/4.0), and also live in Illinois, but in downstate rather than Chicago. I originally wanted to be a police officer, but after spending two years applying to countless departments in both Illinois and Indiana (state where I went to school), going up against literally hundreds of people for only 1 or 2 positions at each agency (that is if said agency was hiring for any positions at all), jumping through tons of hoops, investing so much time and money into each respective hiring processes (believe me, becoming a police officer is a LONG ****ing process and will take a bare minimum of six months to go through), and having nothing to show for it except a pile of canned rejection letters big enough to wallpaper my room caused me to become discouraged and give up. Of course, the state of Illinois being a horribly run, corrupt, and totally bankrupt trainwreck of a state doesn't help matters either.

With that being said, there are things you can do with a Criminal Justice/Criminology/whatever degree besides just be a cop. You can go into Probation/Parole like you already said you're trying to do (as well as myself), municipal courts, corrections, community corrections, private security, juvenile probation/corrections, law school, various types of civilian positions with police departments, and retail loss prevention (which can lead to good money if you do a good job and make it into management). But naturally, the entire problem with these positions (with the exception of private security and loss prevention) is that they're government jobs, which are in short supply thanks to the fact that these governments (be they state/municipal/county) are in completely disarray thanks to budget constraints. Bottom line is, it's not the most versatile degree out there, but you can still do quite a bit with it. Hell it looked like a great option when I started school six years ago.

What I may suggest to you is searching for jobs in a different state. I'm currently searching for probation and community corrections positions in the Indianapolis area, so hopefully something will turn up soon. Are you willing to relocate at all?

PS. Sorry for telling you my life story, but I felt the need to elaborate to show you that I feel your pain on the degree choice and to vent a bit.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soilworker1986 View Post
Seems like we're in very similar situations. I graduated with my degree in Criminology in 2008, got a good GPA (3.38/4.0), and also live in Illinois, but in downstate rather than Chicago. I originally wanted to be a police officer, but after spending two years applying to countless departments in both Illinois and Indiana (state where I went to school), going up against literally hundreds of people for only 1 or 2 positions at each agency (that is if said agency was hiring for any positions at all), jumping through tons of hoops, investing so much time and money into each respective hiring processes (believe me, becoming a police officer is a LONG ****ing process and will take a bare minimum of six months to go through), and having nothing to show for it except a pile of canned rejection letters big enough to wallpaper my room caused me to become discouraged and give up. Of course, the state of Illinois being a horribly run, corrupt, and totally bankrupt trainwreck of a state doesn't help matters either.

With that being said, there are things you can do with a Criminal Justice/Criminology/whatever degree besides just be a cop. You can go into Probation/Parole like you already said you're trying to do (as well as myself), municipal courts, corrections, community corrections, private security, juvenile probation/corrections, law school, various types of civilian positions with police departments, and retail loss prevention (which can lead to good money if you do a good job and make it into management). But naturally, the entire problem with these positions (with the exception of private security and loss prevention) is that they're government jobs, which are in short supply thanks to the fact that these governments (be they state/municipal/county) are in completely disarray thanks to budget constraints. Bottom line is, it's not the most versatile degree out there, but you can still do quite a bit with it. Hell it looked like a great option when I started school six years ago.

What I may suggest to you is searching for jobs in a different state. I'm currently searching for probation and community corrections positions in the Indianapolis area, so hopefully something will turn up soon. Are you willing to relocate at all?

PS. Sorry for telling you my life story, but I felt the need to elaborate to show you that I feel your pain on the degree choice and to vent a bit.
Thanks for the reply, looks like we are in the same boat. I have been looking at different states; the problem there is the money to travel to the other states for the opportunity. Many jails are hiring out of state, however I don't have the money to fly out to these places 3-4 times (minimum) for the job. Probation/parole and MP's are mostly out of the question du to state constraints, law school is a god awful idea (IMO) in this economy unless you get into Harvard Law or something, there are thousands of cases of people graduating with degrees six figures in debt and unable to find employment, as for private security or loss prevention, I have looked into it and am trying to find something in that field. Money isn't too bad starting, and it does get really good as time goes on.

I have taken a few police tests just for the experience, and like you said, they are absolutely ridiculous! I took one where there were over 400 people applying, and there were no job openings, it was only to get on the list because legally the department had to test every 2-3 years or something. It's crazy how many people are applying, and when some of the people have like 10+ years experience, a college degree, AND military experience, people like you and me don't stand a chance.

Thanks for the reply though, times will get better and turn around eventually. Right now, I am really enjoying the thought of ESL overseas as the other poster said. Moving overseas would be pretty cool for a few years while I still can while I'm young.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 01-24-2011, 09:34 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,967,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1027 View Post
Cool! Thanks for the info. I hope Direct Loans (Gov't loans) can be deferred for ESL overseas.

Direct loans can be deferred for a lot of reasons.. or forebearances.

In fact, they have a program that is income based.. where the payment is based on a percentage of your income. It is very fair. My mom has some major student loans and her income only allows for about $140.00 to come out monthly.

At the end of a certain period of time, they will also forgive the balance (after 20 years or something)

or based on death, 100% disability, etc.

in my opinion federal student loans are the best kind of debt-- they are not blood suckers, they have programs available to help not take out a huge amount of your income, and they can be canceled due to disability, etc.

I view it as an investment into my future-- and have already reaped benefits with my graduate degree in progress (I am graduating in May/June of this year).

Old 01-24-2011, 09:39 AM

543 posts, read 2,847,102 times
truck driving 25-40k? pays more than teaching english in korea (20k)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or