Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 05:56 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times

Advertisements

You are absolutely retarded!
Why would I do that? I was aggravated because my application was declined and I didn't even had an opportunity to SEND MY RESUME FOR THEIR REVIEW!!!!!! to show what I have been doing in the time I was not working for Corporate America! (worked part time/contract basis)

You're insane! LOLOL do I really have to Bold things for you guys to read it right?

NO the application was NOT IN SPANISH!

(CAPS Used for Emphasis)
The application was for an ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT AND ON TOP OF THAT THE JOB DESCRIPTION DID NOT EVEN LIST BEING BILINGUAL (which is why I even bothered to apply)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Is there a way to edit your on-line application so you can change your answer to the prison question from "yes" to "no", because apparently you answered "yes" to the question "were you in prison". Otherwise you wouldn't have been dumped in the same category with the prison people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 07:48 AM

126 posts, read 724,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You could have at least spelled beware correctly the second time.
I agree. I also see English-usage errors, including additional
spelling errors, in the body of the post. You'd think a person
applying for an administrative assistant job would have more
attention to detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
OK seriously, I don't see the issue. Just answer "no" and move on. You want to explain the lapses in employment? That's for the interview.
Again, I agree. The OP didn't mention, when they answered
the "in prison" question, what other questions were asked
[possibly] related to the job gap.

Anyway, I would have just answered the question and moved
on - I would not have taken offense to the question. The
employer is certainly entitled to question a candidate whether
the candidate has been convicted of a crime.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:55 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Ok folks, since the first thread got completely taken out of context, I will list the issue again:

I was filling out an application online directly on the employer's website. Marriott.com

Half way through, I got to where I could list my work history, so I filled out a few jobs I had and moved on to the next section.

On the next section the first question asked (with a choice of yes and no) was the question "if The applicant has been in prison", it showed up ONLY because I only listed 2 past jobs (btw, when I refiled the application and filled out 5 jobs instead, the question about one being in prison did not show up anymore)

MY main issue with the type of online application, which was NOT the only one I encountered in the last few months, was that the employer automaticaly assumed one was in prison since the were 2 jobs listed in the work history and then a gap of 6 years!!!!!!!

The problem with having this ridiculous type of application, which BTW I have never seen before when I applied and got my first jobs here back between 2001 and 2004.....was that employers need to be fair and give more options to choose from if one applicant has a gap in work history. Simply Enough. Adding those options in the online application take less than 30 seconds just like inserting a field for uploading a resume. Just because someone has a gap in employment that does NOT mean they've been in jail or sat on the couch doing nothing for any number of years and employers need to get over themselves and take ppl for what they are and what situation they might have been in. Not make insulting assumptions and not even give the opportunity to an applicant to UPLOAD a RESUME.

That's it. I am appaled at these "new" practices especially when they involve an administrative assistant position that doesn't even require security clearance.
Are ther gaps in the employment history? If you answer no ;does it then lead to other gap type question. If so it is a automated questionaire then that ask one question at a time until the gaps are filled in ;likely.If the gaps are nopt there then it does need to fill them in.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:29 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,025 times
Well, I admit I was curious...

So-- I found an Admin Assistant job for Marriott (Gaithersburg, MD) (their site is not the easiest to search through) and put in an application. I am on my lunch break and bored.

I am now curious as to what the OP actually saw, because I took a screen shot of one of the first few questions that asked ANYTHING about incarceration-- and considering that Marriott uses Kronos and has a standard online app for all of their locations-- I am beginning to think the OP did not really... read.

The question was-- not if you had been in prison.. and in fact, when I was asked the question about convictions-- it was before I put in ANY kind of job information-- so in effect they ask it to everyone.

The questions (and if anyone wants the screenshot I will upload it somewhere)

Have you been convicted of a felony within the last 5 years? (Yes or No bullet choice)

Have you been incarcerated in the past 5 years based upon a felony conviction? (Yes or no bullet choice)

I answered no to these-- and then I went through the rest of the application. And for sh*** and giggles-- I said I had one job-- from 1993-1998. They asked if I Had more work experience to tell them about-- I said no-- they then asked me for reference info. I put in one reference and then it took me to different questions that they use for government reasons (read: tax breaks). There was one more question about the prison it was

Have you been convicted of or released from prison for a felony in the past year? (Yes or No)

Then I made it to a testing page-- where I would have to see if I could do some portion of the job (following policies, procedures). I don't have up to 75 min to spare so I quit.

So... if they refused your application then it seems like either you answered yes to being a convicted felon-- or you never read anymore about the application and quit voluntarily-- or you made it through the testing and did not pass to their standard.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,767,945 times
Thank you, lovetheduns. This is a VERY interesting thread.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:38 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,767,945 times
Quote:
This is why we have the word:

"OTHER" and the Option of inserting a "TEXT FIELD" versus "Radio Buttons" in websites, also taking UNDER 30 seconds!!!!!

If companies choose this miserable "new" way to screen/hire new ppl, then they should no longer list: "Equal Opportunity Employer"!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you a web developer?

Do you know what "equal opportunity employer" means?

Old 01-25-2011, 11:45 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,025 times
Well-- I figured versus debating the semantics over and over-- and really taking more than a few minuites to think about what the other poster had said about incarcertation (the whole not being able to afford bail/bond)-- I had to take a step back and then I thought...

no way-- Marriott as large as they are would have completely shady questions on their application-- Sally's and Bob's Motel sure-- possibly but not Marriott (with the amount of legal counsel they have on their corporate books).

Old 01-25-2011, 12:10 PM

126 posts, read 724,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
[snipped]
The question was-- not if you had been in prison.. and in fact, when I was asked the question about convictions-- it was before I put in ANY kind of job information-- so in effect they ask it to everyone.

The questions (and if anyone wants the screenshot I will upload it somewhere)

Have you been convicted of a felony within the last 5 years? (Yes or No bullet choice)

Have you been incarcerated in the past 5 years based upon a felony conviction? (Yes or no bullet choice)
Yep ... the online app ask the "felony" questions *before* the
candidate gets to the "experience/job history" section, so the
OP must have been at some other site, or is venting blame
on a third party concerning their employment situation.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:15 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,145,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post

I got the same thing when I tried there application process. (Edgewood, Md) So what ever the OP was looking at was unique to only them.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:33 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Obviously you are not getting the point here, it is not about the question itself, it is about giving ppl options to choose from when you as the employer have decided not have a place to upload a resume. How am I supposed to get a job where the questions don't match my scenario and on top of that I don't even have a place to upload a word or pdf resume!!!!!! but I am very qualified for it?
Hmmm, yeah why do I highly doubt that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment