U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-28-2011, 11:04 PM

7,371 posts, read 3,369,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Why is it for an adult to manage money for 2 weeks?

And you forgot Semi-Monthly Pay when you get paid on the 15th and the 30th of every month. After being on semi-monthly for 10 years, I realize that bi-weekly is so much better.
You don't have direct deposit? Even in the backwoods of the GWN, we have that figured out
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 11:08 PM

2,000 posts, read 2,753,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
my old employer that i left for my new employer was biweekly. i was always used to being paid weekly in the past. honestly, it was tough for me being paid bi weekly.

i strongly prefer being paid weekly.
I have been paid weekly, biweekly, semi-monthly, and monthly.

I prefer monthly or biweekly.

Monthly because there was just no mistaken how much money I had for the month to work with. Every paycheck came on the exact same date (or if that date fell on the weekend the friday before).

Weekly-- I found very difficult to effectively budget. I got the same amount of money-- but to get little chunks of it-- was irritating.

I basically pulled money out of my savings to "pay myself" monthly and then would let my weekly checks go directly into savings. On the 1st of the month, I would "pay" myself again for the month.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:45 PM

4,502 posts, read 8,048,152 times
I get paid weekly and I love it! I can budget everything out much easier and you wind up paying less taxes on a weekly check than a bi-weekly check.

I've worked at jobs where we only got paid on the 1st and 15th, other jobs 1x/month and it totally sucked.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:05 AM

16,310 posts, read 14,774,445 times
It is all about being a big boy, and budgeting your money, using self control and being in charge of your impulses.

OBTW, I have been paid monthly for the last 20 years, and now that I'm retired, pensions are paid monthly.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:38 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,993,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I don't think I have ever been paid weekly. I have been monthly for the last 10 years or so. Why do some companies pay monthly instead of more frequently? Two main reasons. They get to keep the money longer and it is cheaper because of less check runs.
I think it's simply the standard practice with accounting and expense factors considered as well. For the most part, I've had bi-weekly pays. However, I was paid monthly when I was a mgmt consultant. Which had a lot more to do with how the our billing was handled. My hours were invoiced to the clients on a monthly schedule.

Guessing the same reasonings can be applied to shorter pay periods. I believe temp agencies often have weekly paychecks.

If I had to pick, I'd say I prefer a monthly paycheck. It take just a bit more on me to budget - but it also actually forces me to do just that. But either way, it matters little.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:14 AM

516 posts, read 846,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
my old employer that i left for my new employer was biweekly. i was always used to being paid weekly in the past. honestly, it was tough for me being paid bi weekly.

i strongly prefer being paid weekly.
I get paid monthly. Sh@t, even unemployment was bi-weekly, which wasn't so bad. But waiting for my small, and I mean SMALL paycheck every month just really S@cks.

Trust me, I'm looking hard for another job. But I had to take this job back in April or I would have no income at all.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:34 AM

1,082 posts, read 544,041 times
I like getting payed weekly for then I know that I will always have money for each week.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:22 PM

784 posts, read 1,963,601 times
Semi monthly here (24 paychecks per year). I've had weekly, bi weekly, semi monthly, and monthly. It doesn't matter to me since I'm on salary. It's about living within your means.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:53 PM
FBJ

35,114 posts, read 24,335,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
You don't have direct deposit? Even in the backwoods of the GWN, we have that figured out
Yes I have direct desposit and what does that have to do with being paid bi-weekly?

Old 01-30-2011, 09:50 PM

7,371 posts, read 3,369,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
ITS NOT THE SAME!

Sometimes when you get paid semi-monthly, the 15th can fall on a sunday which means you will get paid on the 12th. That check you get on the 12th has to run you until the 30th. Which means you will to go almost 3 weeks on one check

I get paid now every other Thursday and it's no such thing as that now. If i get paid on the 12th, my next pay date is the 26th not the 30th.
Well, if you are paid bi-monthly and you cheque is direct deposit, why wouldn't you get paid on the 15th--just because it's a Sunday hasn't mattered to my employers because it's direct deposit. It did used to matter when we got handed a cheque, because yes, I would get it on the 12th, but it would be postdated until the 15th, so direct deposit has worked better because it doesn't matter what day of the week it is--it still goes in on the 15th and the 30th. I used to work with a guy who knew exactly what time our paycheques were direct deposited (he would go to the bank every second Friday between 2:00 and 3:00 a:m)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment