Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 03:27 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,980 times

Advertisements

I'm a bit curious about how much a certain salary is compared to other in America... and since taxes in the US differ so much from taxes here as well as insurance systems etc I'd like to know some qualified guess numbers to know how things compare...
So how much do you think a typical guy in the following professions make?
doctor:
engineer:
accountant:

nurse:
fireman:
social worker:

housekeeper:
truck driver:
factory worker:

late teen/early 20 summer-job:

From what I understand taxation on salary is about 25% total in the US while it's about 50% here, while US residents have to pay for medical care, college etc which are "free" here.
If anyone have a good source for numbers on these things I'd be interested to get a link.
for example a typical doctor here would make about 60k(while he will cost about 120k/year for the employer) after all taxes etc is paid, but then again medical school have been free(except for literature that might have cost 2k through the entire education)

And another question, how much does a medical insurance with good cover cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 03:45 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
The numbers will be all over the place. It depends on location, longevity, lots of stuff.

The tax rates (e.g., 25%, 28%) are the only constants, but even then, how much you really pay depends on what kind of tax deductions you have (kids, mortgage, etc.)

I can definitely state that, overall, the U.S. tax burden is less than Sweden and the U.S. welfare system is less generous than Sweden, but you already knew that.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:06 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
It also depends on the state, places like New Jersey and New York have high personal taxes and property taxes. In New Jersey $100,000 a year is middle class, but in Idaho you can live like a king on that.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:19 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
I think this is the link you are looking for, but it is true that your salary varies greatly depending on where you live in the United States. Many tourists states like Florida do not take personal taxes out of your check, but their sales tax on items is higher than other states. It's because they make their revenue off tourist purchases. States with union and non union labor also show adjustments in the figures, but this should give you a pretty good idea.

U.S. Average Salary Income - Job Comparison

Old 01-26-2011, 09:30 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
Like others have said, the numbers depend on experience level, the city where you work, overall benefits package of the company you work for, etc. You can go to Salary.com - Talent Management, Compensation, Competencies, Salary Information to get a general idea of salary on certain professions. Keep in mind the salaries quoted there are gross salary (before taxes) and they're only a guesstimate.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:32 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
In most of America, we are paid what our labor and skills are worth.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:09 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
In most of America, we are paid what our labor and skills are worth.
Thank you for that Angelo Mozilo.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:23 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
I'm a bit curious about how much a certain salary is compared to other in America... and since taxes in the US differ so much from taxes here as well as insurance systems etc I'd like to know some qualified guess numbers to know how things compare...
So how much do you think a typical guy in the following professions make?
doctor:
engineer:
accountant:

nurse:
fireman:
social worker:

housekeeper:
truck driver:
factory worker:

late teen/early 20 summer-job:

From what I understand taxation on salary is about 25% total in the US while it's about 50% here, while US residents have to pay for medical care, college etc which are "free" here.
If anyone have a good source for numbers on these things I'd be interested to get a link.
for example a typical doctor here would make about 60k(while he will cost about 120k/year for the employer) after all taxes etc is paid, but then again medical school have been free(except for literature that might have cost 2k through the entire education)

And another question, how much does a medical insurance with good cover cost?
If you want to browse through some public sector jobs, pick some random city data page for any given city, for example http://www.city-data.com/city/Los-An...alifornia.html and scroll down to "Local government employment and payroll". There you can see the average yearly full time wage for different departments, for example Police $64,526/yr. These will vary A LOT depending on municipality. A cop in small town Mississippi might make $25k, and a cop in suburban New York City might make well over $100k.

Hard to give rock-solid numbers for any of those professions, there are no nationwide pay charts in the US for any positions except maybe federal govt jobs. Health insurance benefits will also vary alot depending on the employer, or union contract.

All i know is, depending on the company, i would make 2-3 times more bi-weekly than what i make now on the railroad, doing the exactly same job, if i was in the US. And i might actually have a chance to retire some day without falling way below the poverty line.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Many states have an income tax too, so those people may pay as much as 35-40%. Medical insurance is about $1,000/month for a good plan for a family of 3. We don't all have to pay for it though, some of our employers pick up the whole premium as a benefit. Salaries for the same job can vary greatly by the geographic area. Where the cost of living is high, like New York or San Francisco, the salaries will be higher, otherwise no one would want to go work there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment