U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-27-2011, 03:05 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,088,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Probably because most of them are.

I'm constantly surprised by friends who upgrade their vehicle by signing up for more car payments --
-- even before finishing paying off the perfectly good car they were previously driving.

Most of the really nice new cars out there are not even being
financed, but are leased ( driving more car than they can afford ).

Car Payments == Slavery

( While I can understand making car payments, even though it's not a good idea,
making payments for furniture, appliances, electronics -- I really don't get. )
Like Nick said, it helps to build up credit history for those people starting out. I wouldn't recommend doing it constantly though, because like you said, it's slavery. I have a car payment right now on a used car. I plan on paying it off this year, and I will not have another new car for many, many years if I can help it. The car that I'm paying off now is an investment that I hope to have for 10+ years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 03:36 PM

1,788 posts, read 586,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
why wouldn't you have a post like my post? BMW is still selling cars as are most quality car makers.

Also why is it that people assume everyone pays for a car on time? I am debt free on cars. My brother just paid cash for a new Jeep. People do pay cash from time to time. Even if they didn't I don't see what is wrong with buying a nice car.
This is a community. When a member is down in the dumps, the humane thing to do is try to prop them up.

(Unless we are discussing politics, then the diehard repubs and dems must both be bashed for being enablers of the past ten years in American politics.)

In case you have not noticed, home values have dropped by over 60% in many communities. Homes are where much of peoples retirement equity USED to lie.

My Denver home is dropping about $2000/mt in value. That depresses me. I've lost $70,000 in three years from my home alone. My modest Florida homes are also dropping in value. One has not had rental income for 9 months.

Anyway....tough times don't last, tough people do. Chin up everybody.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:53 PM

537 posts, read 711,280 times
^^ good post. Great attitude. I know your real estate investments will bounce back. I hope they do so very soon.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:56 PM

2,789 posts, read 2,508,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qinboxmail View Post
So I just heard that my friend just bought a brand new BMW. So I am here applying for minimum wage jobs and can't even find luck. My friends are working. I feel like I'm the only jobless person in the world or something. I apply jobs online that my eyes feel like it's going to explode. Is there anyone who feel the same ?
Yes, Ive been there..I too took a job that pays below the average salary, I took it to get my foot in the door. Hoping it pays off in the end

Old 01-27-2011, 06:14 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,393,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
This is a community. When a member is down in the dumps, the humane thing to do is try to prop them up.
I completely agree with that. However, I also think there are times when people need a "dose" of reality and that being real with them is actually doing them a favor.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:16 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,393,197 times
And regarding the car thing, I don't have a need for a nice car just to be ostentatious, but I commute to work about 40 minutes minimum each way (sometimes a LOT more depending on traffic) and I need to a car to be comfy and handle well since I spend so much time in it. Around 8 hours a week at least, and that's just going to and from work, and not counting any other driving.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:31 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,888,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qinboxmail View Post
So I just heard that my friend just bought a brand new BMW. So I am here applying for minimum wage jobs and can't even find luck. My friends are working. I feel like I'm the only jobless person in the world or something. I apply jobs online that my eyes feel like it's going to explode. Is there anyone who feel the same ?
What choice do you have but to hang in there? I've been in your position and a lack of a job is devastating on your self-confidence.
If it makes you feel any better- realize that unless it's some type of collectible,your friend's new car is now worth 25% less than what he paid for it.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:38 AM

155 posts, read 82,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
That economy excuse is becoming a CRUTCH
Thanks for that! I feel better now.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:58 AM

155 posts, read 82,717 times
Why does everyone here feel the need to tear down the guy who bought the BMW? Saying things like "maybe he has other problems in his life" or implying that he made a dumb decision by buying the expensive car?
You have to accept the fact that in life some people are luckier than others. Some people inherit money or they were at the right place at the right time and got a great job or started a business that took off by sheer luck or they were able to get in with the right people or they married into money.
Life is terribly unfair and it's always been that way. Trust me, the sooner that you accept this fact the sooner you can get over your envy.
I do believe that there are people who have great lives. Perfect? No. But great none the less. For some of these people they probably didn't even have to put in much effort as they were lucky.
Yes, I do believe that there are people with BMWs and not many background problems in their lives, like massive debt or marital problems. There are few of them but they are out there. Why should we be envious of them? Why keep score at all?
One of the most frustrating things about life is that things come easy for some and hard for others. The problem is that we are taught in America that it's a level playing field. It's not.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:00 AM

10,379 posts, read 13,724,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remote_Control View Post
Why does everyone here feel the need to tear down the guy who bought the BMW? Saying things like "maybe he has other problems in his life" or implying that he made a dumb decision by buying the expensive car?
You have to accept the fact that in life some people are luckier than others. Some people inherit money or they were at the right place at the right time and got a great job or started a business that took off by sheer luck or they were able to get in with the right people or they married into money.
Life is terribly unfair and it's always been that way. Trust me, the sooner that you accept this fact the sooner you can get over your envy.
I do believe that there are people who have great lives. Perfect? No. But great none the less. For some of these people they probably didn't even have to put in much effort as they were lucky.
Yes, I do believe that there are people with BMWs and not many background problems in their lives, like massive debt or marital problems. There are few of them but they are out there. Why should we be envious of them? Why keep score at all?
One of the most frustrating things about life is that things come easy for some and hard for others. The problem is that we are taught in America that it's a level playing field. It's not.
Great answer. Cheers to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment