Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:28 PM

155 posts, read 244,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qinboxmail View Post
So I just heard that my friend just bought a brand new BMW. So I am here applying for minimum wage jobs and can't even find luck. My friends are working. I feel like I'm the only jobless person in the world or something. I apply jobs online that my eyes feel like it's going to explode. Is there anyone who feel the same ?

I'm going through the same thing! It's hard to watch doors open for other people when no doors are opening for you. It wears you down and then the people around you don't understand why you are so depressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 05:33 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
It only took seven replies to this thread to get a post like this.
why wouldn't you have a post like my post? BMW is still selling cars as are most quality car makers.

Also why is it that people assume everyone pays for a car on time? I am debt free on cars. My brother just paid cash for a new Jeep. People do pay cash from time to time. Even if they didn't I don't see what is wrong with buying a nice car.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:39 PM

379 posts, read 1,401,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
why wouldn't you have a post like my post? BMW is still selling cars as are most quality car makers.

Also why is it that people assume everyone pays for a car on time? I am debt free on cars. My brother just paid cash for a new Jeep. People do pay cash from time to time. Even if they didn't I don't see what is wrong with buying a nice car.

This will be the last time I reply to any of your posts and speak to you directly, you should feel special.

---

It is pointless for a person like me to attempt to engage in intellectual discourse with a person like you. Our discussions will only go in circles because one of us (not me) will not be able to get over our cognitive dissonances.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
It's perfectly normal to feel embarrassed and uncomfortable around others when you are in that situation. It's something that most people have never faced before so it has a devastating affect on the ego. Sensible people realize that this is happening to good, hard working people who are just the victims of circumstances. I'd suggest keeping in touch with your friends and family and keep reminding hem that you are looking for work, you never know when they might hear of an opportunity. I was in this situation in 2008 and finally got a great job over a year later, since then two raises and a promotion. Back then I too applied for low wage jobs and found that there were 200 applicants for every opening.

It takes time these days so hang in there and keep trying.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:19 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,157 times
You know, I've been in your shoes.

I'm a plumber by trade. I work in what a lot of people consider to be a recession proof industry, unfortunately, this just isn't true. There were hundreds of thousands of men across the country employed in my field doing new construction work and when the economy collapsed, suddenly, well, the market just doesn't need near as many of us.

A lot of people, some of my friends and family included, just don't understand this.

I have been able to find work since 2008, but it hasn't been steady and it hasn't always been full time. I've spent a lot of time laid off and looking for work. In truth, I don't see my field improving much for a very long time. The career I had, the work I so thoroughly enjoyed, may be gone forever.

I recently moved to a different state due to my wife's job wanting us to relocate. I had hoped for better luck here. There are some jobs available, but there is a lot of competition for them.

I just accepted a part time position completely outside my field. It sure isn't what I wanted to do, but it is sure better than nothing.

I wish I could do something to cheer you up or help you make it better, but the truth is, this economy just plain sucks. The best I can do is empathize.

I wish you luck!

Old 01-26-2011, 08:49 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qinboxmail View Post
So I just heard that my friend just bought a brand new BMW. So I am here applying for minimum wage jobs and can't even find luck. My friends are working. I feel like I'm the only jobless person in the world or something. I apply jobs online that my eyes feel like it's going to explode. Is there anyone who feel the same ?
I know exactly how you feel. I've been out for two years, today. I landed a retail job for the holidays, but they lied about it going full time and have dramatically reduced my hours. Next week I'm scheduled for ONE 8-hour day.

I have 3 reunions this year, including my 30th High School reunion. What makes me comfortable is that several people who are going are out of work also. At least I'll have company.

Hang in there. You are NOT alone.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:21 AM

155 posts, read 244,318 times
Basically there are two economys in America today; for those who are employed with DECENT jobs things look pretty rosy[even their 401k's have recovered] but for those of us who are unemployed[or underemployed] things look downright awful.
Finding employment feels like breaking into some exclusive club.
I find that a lot of employed people these days just don't understand what it is like to be unemployed in this economy.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:30 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
You have to just stay positive and keep at it. Getting negative and cutting off contact with friends and family is the complete opposite way to go.

Someone earlier suggested talking with your successful friends. You never know, maybe their company has some some unadvertised niche position you can get, or maybe they have a colleague who knows of an opening. There's nothing wrong with telling people, "I've been looking for a job a long time, and as you probably know, it's tough right now. Does your company have any openings that might be a fit?"

If they're really your friends, they'll try to help you out as best they can.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:43 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,495 times
Hey folks! If you can, move to DC! There are always jobs here and I don't know one unemployed person. The cost of living is outrageous, but if you rent a room or share a house with roommates, it's not so bad. You wouldn't have to stay here forever, just 'til you get back on your feet. If I were out of work for 6+ months, that's what I would do. However, I'm not married and don't have any children, so I have a little more independence than most.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:59 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Hey folks! If you can, move to DC! There are always jobs here and I don't know one unemployed person. The cost of living is outrageous, but if you rent a room or share a house with roommates, it's not so bad. You wouldn't have to stay here forever, just 'til you get back on your feet. If I were out of work for 6+ months, that's what I would do. However, I'm not married and don't have any children, so I have a little more independence than most.
Don't listen to this person. DC's job market is only marginally better than elsewhere. There are still thousands of people out of work--people with multiple degrees, decades of experience, and countless certifications and other merits. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of people I know here who've been out of work for more than a year. With the federal hiring and wage freezes, it could get worse before it gets better.

And if you've been out of work for a while, the last thing you want to do is move somewhere expensive. DC is one of the most expensive places to live in the country. And we have one of the lowest unemployment benefits in the country. $329/wk. A typical studio apartment costs about $1250/mo. Unemployment doesn't even cover the rent.

Only move here if you've done the research and know that you have a good chance of getting a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment