U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:17 AM

7,972 posts, read 4,365,101 times
I would just be straightforward with the employer offering you the job and say you will not be able to give them an answer until the following week. If they really want you, they will wait. They know you, they know your work. What's the difference if they wait a fews days for an answer?

If they say they won't wait (indicating the next Job Applicant Joe on the bench will do just fine), would you really even want to work there?

Maybe I am out of touch but I have never had a job offer come with a strict deadline for a response. Hiring managers seem to understand that an applicant usually has other interviews and potential offers to weigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 07:39 AM

17,580 posts, read 19,471,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

Maybe I am out of touch but I have never had a job offer come with a strict deadline for a response. Hiring managers seem to understand that an applicant usually has other interviews and potential offers to weigh.
I think you are out of touch.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:00 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,345,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
Get over your own cognitive dissonances and make choices you normally wouldn't.
Funny thing, I really do have the urge to break the mold with this decision. That is, I would normally just take the offer with the old company and be done with it, but my gut tells me I really should go after this dream job.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:06 AM

17,580 posts, read 19,471,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Funny thing, I really do have the urge to break the mold with this decision. That is, I would normally just take the offer with the old company and be done with it, but my gut tells me I really should go after this dream job.
And what happens if you don't get the dream job? Because that is a reality you may have to live with.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
And what happens if you don't get the dream job? Because that is a reality you may have to live with.
And that's what I'm struggling with. I do have a few other opportunities to go after that's not the dream job, but more ideal than the offer from my old company.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:27 AM

10,097 posts, read 13,065,315 times
I would take the dream job. Now ask yourself is it a sure in the bag thing or still an interview waiting to happen? If it is not finalized as of yet then take the job you will have but keep the interview with the dream job. If it pans out then give your employer 2 weeks notice and let them know what you are doing and that you didn't realize that the dream job would happen. Always be honest.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:40 AM

Hm. Seems to me if you want to go for the dream job you have nothing to lose by trying to stall your former employer for a few days until after the first interview, rather than turning down the job flat.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:52 AM

Actually, I do have a bit to lose -- if I accept the offer, then my biweekly severance payments stop coming in. I don't think they'll start coming in again if I change my mind after the fact.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:00 PM

8,765 posts, read 21,738,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Take the job and then go on the interview for your "dream job". If you get that job, quit.

They had no qualms about laying you off. You have no reason to treat them any better than they treated you.
I agree. Here is a good answer. If you think you can get the old employer to give you a bit more time, that would be cleaner, but what would you have done/do if the "dream job" offer came to you a week after you re-started work with the old outfit?

Your desire to be "up and up" with your old employer is admirable, but do keep in mind that these guys:

1 are not using your skill set like the dream job would
2 laid you off after you worked there a long time
3 are a long and inconvenient train ride from home

[SIZE=3]"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 01-27-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Actually, I do have a bit to lose -- if I accept the offer, then my biweekly severance payments stop coming in. I don't think they'll start coming in again if I change my mind after the fact.
Then we agree, do not accept the job. Stall until you know more about the other one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment