Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:17 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You misunderstood my entire post. I am talking about INTERNAL customer service!

I said "customer service BETWEEN employees and departments." That means every employee is to treat other employees AS IF they are customers and every department is to treat other departments AS IF they are customers. It promotes efficiency. This is a very basic business concept that is taught in Business 101!

If I were the head of a different department and someone gave my employees a hard time throughout the years, I would not give them a job if their department was outsourced. If someone works for my department and treats others that way, they wouldn't last for long if they refuse learn how to embrace the concept.

I understand your employer's standards are different, but I assure you that isn't the norm throughout corporations. Even companies that have problems with departments working together strive to correct those problems.
Oh! No, there is not a customer service attitude between departments, but there is a policy that employees must be polite to one another and there is a policy about employees must respond to other employees. Doesn't always happen, but it's mostly professional interactions.

I overheard some people in another department talking near me about a topic our department handles, but I could not pipe up and say, "Hey, I know what to do with that." I had to stay silent. I told someone who had worked there longer than me what happened and she confirmed that not volunteering information was the right thing to do. She said that's the way it always is in large corporations because if anything is wrong about what you tell them it will come back to haunt you even if you were just trying to help.

Last edited by FarNorthDallas; 01-30-2011 at 08:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 08:28 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
I understand the it's not my job attitude, because I have it.

It's not that I mind helping others or stepping out of my job description, but many times you really are busy with your own work where doing the job of someone else can set YOU back on your projects.

The WHO MOVED MY CHEESE book should have been a clue of what was to become of the corporate world the way it is now.

Oh how well we deceive.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:35 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I understand the it's not my job attitude, because I have it.

It's not that I mind helping others or stepping out of my job description, but many times you really are busy with your own work where doing the job of someone else can set YOU back on your projects.

The WHO MOVED MY CHEESE book should have been a clue of what was to become of the corporate world the way it is now.

Oh how well we deceive.
So when you just do whatever you're supposed to do, don't go the extra mile.. are you the same person who gets mad when it's review time and you don't get a great review/raise?

Old 01-30-2011, 08:38 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Hellooo!
So I am lucky to be starting a new job on Monday. Can't say I'm thrilled, but hey, it's work.

One of the most irritating things about working with a team, is laziness. I personally believe we should all do what we gotta do.. so we can get by the day and GO HOME!! When I hear things like "DAT AINT MAH JAB!!" or "DIS AINT IN MAH JAB DESCRIFTION".. it.. makes me terribly, terribly angry. Now, I'll be working in a law firm, and I'll be working an office services team; we'll be responsible for creating books, signs, labels, etc for the attorneys. Pretty basic, pretty simple stuff.. but i've been there before..and it's so contagious. It takes one person to infect an another.. and when you're a team of 8 and 7 others have been infected with the dat aint mah jab bug.. it's maddening.

One of the other things, is usually the people like that.. somehow, someway, never get reprimanded. Their laziness goes unnoticed, and the people who make up for their slack... also go unnoticed...

So, how do you deal? My last job was so infected with that virus..that it drove me to quit. I just want to go work, do what I need to do and go home, but it is hard when other people are just useless, classless, and get away with so much

I really hope these people turn out OK...but I've been wrong too many times taking jobs in Philadelphia.. lol..
I will offer this point: If the management rewards those who shine take advantage and make notes of it. When it comes time for a raise refer to those notes and let them know how hard you worked.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:42 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
I personally believe we should all do what we gotta do.. so we can get by the day and GO HOME!!
Unfortunately, so do they.

They think, "I ain't gotta do that, let someone else do it." And every person with that attitude lets "someone else" do it, that "someone else" being a person who sees value in the thing getting done.

I do know how that feels. The feeling that if *I* don't do it, no one else is going to.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:55 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Unfortunately, so do they.

They think, "I ain't gotta do that, let someone else do it." And every person with that attitude lets "someone else" do it, that "someone else" being a person who sees value in the thing getting done.

I do know how that feels. The feeling that if *I* don't do it, no one else is going to.
Yes.
I remember a few years ago, I was working in office management at a public televsion/radio station. We had a huuge law firm next door, and so, sometimes we might get some of their mail. If something looked important (or said important, urgent on the package) the idea was to make sure that next door would get it.

This was a 5 minute task.

So many people would say "I AINT NO MAIL MAN" as well as "I AINT PAID TO DELIVER DA MAIL".

5 minutes. Drop off things to the receptionist at the front and she took care of everything else. 5 minutes and people would argue and point the finger to each other.

I would always just do it, and I would eventually get very resentful. It's 5 minutes and I don't even care that I'm doing it--I had a chance to get away from them pigs for a few minutes, lol--it's just, no one wants to go the extra mile. It's ridiculous.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Oh! No, there is not a customer service attitude between departments, but there is a policy that employees must be polite to one another and there is a policy about employees must respond to other employees. Doesn't always happen, but it's mostly professional interactions.

I overheard some people in another department talking near me about a topic our department handles, but I could not pipe up and say, "Hey, I know what to do with that." I had to stay silent. I told someone who had worked there longer than me what happened and she confirmed that not volunteering information was the right thing to do. She said that's the way it always is in large corporations because if anything is wrong about what you tell them it will come back to haunt you even if you were just trying to help.
I'm so sorry to hear you have to endure that at your company.

IMO it's not the normal large corporation atmosphere.

Goodness, I hope it's not a regional thing or you'll never escape it.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:03 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
So when you just do whatever you're supposed to do, don't go the extra mile.. are you the same person who gets mad when it's review time and you don't get a great review/raise?
Honestly, at this stage of the game, I couldn't give an *ish about a raise. If I get one great, if not, don't care.

There are thousands of people all across America who have gone that "extra mile" and still got laid off. It doesn't matter.

But just to clarify, I will do things out of my job description if I promised a customer/client that I would look into it for him/her. Either way I will call or let said person know what the outcome is or whom to contact (direct line).

Old 01-31-2011, 08:54 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I don't worry about what others can and can't do. I know what I can do though. My thought is that you complete the work offered, even the little side work that is not in your job description. (We include a caveat: "And other duties not listed within your job description."

The best way to get noticed if that is your thing, is to take on additional work and become known as the person that does those things. After getting settled within a position the thing to do is go to the person you report to and see if you can take on some more challenging work. Maybe they have a project that they are working on that you can offer assistance. Over time you will become the person that completes similar projects. Chances are over time your position will also change within the company. I have seen it happen before.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:34 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
I used to go the extra mile... but after 3 years with no raise because 'it's not in the budget' (even though every single other person in my department has received multiple raises and I've had absolutely glowing reviews) I do what I need to do to make my department run well and that's it, unless absolutely necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment