Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 01:06 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's the problem with "team". Many workplaces take the "team" approach - that "all for one, one for all" because they have slackers and other problems and this is the way to get around doing anything about it.

It's poor management - but it's the way it often is. If you need a job, just live with it until you can get into something better. If it helps, it's pretty widespread and you can leave one place to find it just as bad somewhere else.

One approach that helps is to just not pay attention to what others are doing. Just do your work and grab any of the work that needs being done and if someone sits there texting away, just figure you aren't being paid to supervise them so it's not really your problem.

In many workplaces there are people who show up to mostly web surf, call their friends on their cell phones, goof all, pretend they're working by having multiple windows open which they can click as needed when they hear the boss's footsteps or they'll use charm or whatever else it is they have - and others are doing the work.

Decide which category you'd rather be in - because very often everyone knows which individual is which - and even if the slackers get by with it all the time, you can decide you don't want to be one of them.
This actually made a lot of sense, and I do thank you for that. Like I've said before (but others ignored), I don't say any of this at work. I don't complain to the managers and I don't let it be known that I'm also aware of others slack-off'ness. I just come in, do what I need to do, and then go home. You're right, I'm not paid to supervise and I'm going to do my best to keep a tunnel vision while at work... just to ignore what others are and aren't doing. With that, everyone does seem to be pretty good with the work ethic...except that new guy that I've mentioned throughout the thread. In the first 5 days, he came late twice, called out, and left early. LOL This isn't what exactly bothers me--when this stuff goes on for awhile and nothing seems to come of it, that's when I get frustrated.

But the more I've thought about it, these people truly aren't worth my time.. so I'm just going to do what I gotta do and cash in a paycheck every other week.

I don't want to work in a work environment where the manager has a whip and yells at people for anything--but when things are too relaxed, it can cause laziness

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I've held many kinds of jobs and worked with many different people.

And the sad fact is that I have encountered WAY MORE people who are the "that isn't my job" type than the "I'll do anything I can to help" type.

Which is why the American work force is a total piece of crap.
I agree. I've said it before, there are certain boundaries that shouldn't be crossed... but helping out goes a long way --especially when others do the same. It's like one big pool of helping out to get the job done. ~gasp~

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If it helps -- one of the biggest slackers where I work is a white woman. She makes a career out of doing as little real work as she can - in fact prides herself in doing very little but shop online while supposedly working.

It's just the nature of the corporate world today. You'll see all kinds of people who have learned that the best approach is not to know how to do much because then no one will ask them to do it. To me it takes a special cleverness to do this - for me it's easier to just learn to do the job and do it well - it's got to take some serious effort to spend 8 hours doing nothing and getting by with it or not getting bored out of your mind.
Yes!!! Who really wants to be there? Gimme things to do to speed up time so I can get the hell outta there!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 11:51 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,815 times
Just want to give an update about this job.. lol
Pretty much everything I was worried about, was true. I find that when jobs come in, with longer deadlines (meaning due in a few hours, not ASAP) they just sit there until they get done.... and I'm the one who ends up doing them..lol..

The one guy I've mentioned -- who called out on orientation lol -- he's been a real piece of work. Get ready for this.. I can't wait for someone to defend this guy... lol.. On Friday, we noticed he was 'running late. Well, no... I shouldn't say that.. him and I work 11a-8pm. It was around noon and that's when people wondered where he was. Our manager was on vacation (Hmm..) and so the assistant manager was 'concerned' with him not there. Around 2pm, I overheard someone say "I wonder where ___ is"...and someone actually had the audacity to say "Well maybe he running late". How do you "run late" for 3 hours .. with no phone call? By this point, the asst manager calls him .. no answer.

A little after 5pm.. LOL... he calls back saying "I just got into Philly, I'll be there in a bit. Figure I'll show up because if I don't work today, I won't get paid for Monday" (Today's President's Day and we're off, if you call out the day before or after the holiday you don't get paid for the holiday).

At 10 after 6.. he just strolls in. The asst manager was then able to leave. He then said ohhh what a day.. my utilities were turned off.. I got a flat tire.. I was stuck on the highway......

Now, clearly this just screams lies. But let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say this was a horrible day of bad luck. Ok... not one phone call to the Asst manager? I mean... at ALL? He gave a million excuses as to why he was 'late'..but never a reason as to why he couldn't even pick up the phone to let someone know?

I've had times where I've called out with a lie..or called in "coming in late" and it was a lie.. but man, I always had communication.. isn't that a simple form of logic?

So, what is your take on this? If you were the manager, or even asst manager.. what would your reaction be?

And for the record, I just overheard everyone ELSE talk that day. I say that because like most of the thread, people attack me for "saying these things" even though I don't say them at work.. lol

Old 02-22-2011, 08:00 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Sometimes, a bale will need to be made of the cardboard. Takes about 20-30 minutes. Most people will leave their trash back there because it's full, and not take the time to make the bale. Why this is, I'm not sure, but it seems like the attitude is: "I don't want to do it, and someone else will do it instead."

My attitude is: "I see this needs to be done, and if I don't do it, who will?"

This applies to more than just making the bale. This can apply to working in new items, filling out of stocks from the overhead. If I have the time, that is. Friday I had more than 15 pallets to work. I got it done (I skipped both my break and my lunch. Punched out, but worked anyway.)...but I didn't have the time to do the extras. Three days later, something that was in the overhead that could have been packed down--had I had the time--was still up there. No one touched it all weekend or Monday.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:16 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Sometimes, a bale will need to be made of the cardboard. Takes about 20-30 minutes. Most people will leave their trash back there because it's full, and not take the time to make the bale. Why this is, I'm not sure, but it seems like the attitude is: "I don't want to do it, and someone else will do it instead."

My attitude is: "I see this needs to be done, and if I don't do it, who will?"

This applies to more than just making the bale. This can apply to working in new items, filling out of stocks from the overhead. If I have the time, that is. Friday I had more than 15 pallets to work. I got it done (I skipped both my break and my lunch. Punched out, but worked anyway.)...but I didn't have the time to do the extras. Three days later, something that was in the overhead that could have been packed down--had I had the time--was still up there. No one touched it all weekend or Monday.
Are you at least acknowledged for your hard work and dedication to the company?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:20 AM

124 posts, read 174,596 times
I work with a whiner. She whines until she gets what she wants or feels entitled to. When we were hourly, she milked the OT by sitting all day doing nothing, while i worked then by the end of the day, the evening work came in, she would contact the super and state I have all this work left and it needs to be done for the client, she got approval and then went on a dinner break. Everyday. Now we are paid per piece completed and she has tried every trick in the book to gobble up the work, i.e., clocking in early, assigning all the easy to complete work to herself, assigning me the work that will take time to complete so she can get to the easy to complete work. I called her on this which she didn't like. She goes to the super whenever she feels she has found something to complain about .

I've worked with other people that just will not do anything, nothing and still feel they deserve a job. Their motto "I didn't come here to do a lot of work". There was one female that would clock in 2 hours early on her second job while working at her first job (two conjoining hospitals), everybody knew it, super, management, did nothing. And she would constantly complain about other people who did the work, while she did everything in the book not to do any work, management knew this. Bad management is the problem.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Are you at least acknowledged for your hard work and dedication to the company?
Yes, I consistently get raises, even though I don't want them.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:27 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Yes, I consistently get raises, even though I don't want them.
Well, that's good, aside from the part of not wanting them. Would you prefer to work for free just as long as you know you are working hard for yourself each day?

Old 02-22-2011, 10:40 AM

18 posts, read 45,603 times
I've actually had the opposite problem re: "not my job." I was lectured by my supervisor for helping a related department one afternoon when I didn't have anything else to do. I was asked to help out with something I had worked extensively on when I WAS with that department some months earlier.Essentially, I was told, "You work for this department now. You're not supposed to give time to helping other departments (unless the higher-ups call for it)." Even though I had nothing to do that day, even though I ask repeatedly what could be done to no avail.After talking to other employees (both current and past) who've worked with this guy, it turns out he's just creepily territorial about the people he supervises, to the point where he throws a fit if they're tapped to do anything else.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:41 AM

124 posts, read 174,596 times
People are not professional anymore. The workplace has taken on he politics of the school yard. It's appalling to see the behavior that is tolerated in the workplace now.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:07 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
So, what is your take on this?
Once again, THIS EMPLOYEE DOES NOT CONCERN YOU. His unprofessionalism doesn't seem like it immediately impacts your work (for example, if he doesn't show up, you can't do a certain project) SO I'm not quite sure why you're preoccupied with his less than stellar performance. From reading your posts, it seems like his inadequacies make you feel better about yourself as an employee, when you should really just mind your own business and not care whether this guy shows up 5 hours late or 5 minutes early. This preoccupation is unprofessional on your part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment