Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:48 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,006,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
Once again, THIS EMPLOYEE DOES NOT CONCERN YOU.
Thank you.

Quote:
His unprofessionalism doesn't seem like it immediately impacts your work (for example, if he doesn't show up, you can't do a certain project) SO I'm not quite sure why you're preoccupied with his less than stellar performance.
I'm trying to figure this out too. It seems the only person affected is the manager who had to wait for him.

Quote:
From reading your posts, it seems like his inadequacies make you feel better about yourself as an employee, when you should really just mind your own business and not care whether this guy shows up 5 hours late or 5 minutes early.
Exactly! Life will be so much easier on the job if the OP would just lookout for herself.

Hotmess, you have a JOB. Please be grateful for the opportunity and just go with it. Stop worrying about everyone else. If the man comes in late several times a week or month and STILL doesn't get fired from it, it's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. Just chill, do YOUR job and relax.

But for the record, YES, he is VERY trifling, but he's not YOUR problem, but your MANAGER'S and HR.

Also, as an aside, sometimes it's not about being a great worker or even professionalism, it's how an employee gets along with his managers and co-workers that could decide his or her fate. He may come in late, take sick days, etc., but if he's well liked, then that may continue to be his saving grace for as long as he's there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 08:01 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,892,923 times
I agree with the 2 of you! Really!
But when legal assistants come drop off work, they all have deadlines. After 5pm, it's him and I. If he's NOT there.. it's just me. This is where it DOES effect me. When he shows up late, it effects the team so other people can start to take their breaks/lunches since we'll be down 1 extra person. Some days we ARE lucky and it's very slow.. other days we need 4 extra people with 4 arms each.

Again some of you have to realize I don't bring this up to my manager or anyone else. I'm not going to go to work and whine and complain, but I'm not going to "not feel a certain way". I keep my emotions check AT work.

So, I'm going to try something. I just called out. It's been over 3 weeks, I've been there on time.. never called out yet.. but he's been out and late probably too much for a person in a single year.. lol... so I want to see if I get talked to for this. I probably will. LOL @ working while being white in America

I'm gay, so maybe I should show my gayness off.. maybe I'll get away with stuff. Protected classes FTW!1!1!

Old 02-25-2011, 10:52 AM

86 posts, read 294,711 times
I'm so glad that HR at my work does a good job at not hiring those types of cancerous employees that can bring down the morale of an office. But I have experienced those in the past

I just want to yell at those people "stop bitching about your comfy office job! there are people still in Haiti with no homes or even clean water and you're complaining about answering the phone, while you're sitting at a desk 8 hrs a day in an air conditioned office."

But in general I see this attitude more in females than males.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:19 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,576,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Hellooo!
So I am lucky to be starting a new job on Monday. Can't say I'm thrilled, but hey, it's work.

One of the most irritating things about working with a team, is laziness. I personally believe we should all do what we gotta do.. so we can get by the day and GO HOME!! When I hear things like "DAT AINT MAH JAB!!" or "DIS AINT IN MAH JAB DESCRIFTION".. it.. makes me terribly, terribly angry. Now, I'll be working in a law firm, and I'll be working an office services team; we'll be responsible for creating books, signs, labels, etc for the attorneys. Pretty basic, pretty simple stuff.. but i've been there before..and it's so contagious. It takes one person to infect an another.. and when you're a team of 8 and 7 others have been infected with the dat aint mah jab bug.. it's maddening.

One of the other things, is usually the people like that.. somehow, someway, never get reprimanded. Their laziness goes unnoticed, and the people who make up for their slack... also go unnoticed...

So, how do you deal? My last job was so infected with that virus..that it drove me to quit. I just want to go work, do what I need to do and go home, but it is hard when other people are just useless, classless, and get away with so much

I really hope these people turn out OK...but I've been wrong too many times taking jobs in Philadelphia.. lol..

I had a co worker who once told me "I dont know how you do all that? I am lazy" And yes I knew she was. But honestly, she admitted it!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:51 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,934,632 times
A whole 3 weeks w/o calling out, and bragging about that.

Where do we begin on this issue?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:54 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,641,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
I had a co worker who once told me "I dont know how you do all that? I am lazy" And yes I knew she was. But honestly, she admitted it!
Pretty sure we've worked with the same people.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:02 AM

929 posts, read 2,064,620 times
Quote:
Hellooo!
So I am lucky to be starting a new job on Monday. Can't say I'm thrilled, but hey, it's work.

One of the most irritating things about working with a team, is laziness. I personally believe we should all do what we gotta do.. so we can get by the day and GO HOME!! When I hear things like "DAT AINT MAH JAB!!" or "DIS AINT IN MAH JAB DESCRIFTION".. it.. makes me terribly, terribly angry. Now, I'll be working in a law firm, and I'll be working an office services team; we'll be responsible for creating books, signs, labels, etc for the attorneys. Pretty basic, pretty simple stuff.. but i've been there before..and it's so contagious. It takes one person to infect an another.. and when you're a team of 8 and 7 others have been infected with the dat aint mah jab bug.. it's maddening.

One of the other things, is usually the people like that.. somehow, someway, never get reprimanded. Their laziness goes unnoticed, and the people who make up for their slack... also go unnoticed...

So, how do you deal? My last job was so infected with that virus..that it drove me to quit. I just want to go work, do what I need to do and go home, but it is hard when other people are just useless, classless, and get away with so much

I really hope these people turn out OK...but I've been wrong too many times taking jobs in Philadelphia.. lol..
I would ask for a list of everyone's job title and responsibilities, so you don't make this mistake again. That's why I became an employer, so I could fire employees that ever said this to me. To date, I've only heard this once. I told that person "you can now put it on your resume, cuz you're doing it."

Old 02-27-2011, 10:41 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,006,000 times
Quote:
I agree with the 2 of you! Really!
But when legal assistants come drop off work, they all have deadlines. After 5pm, it's him and I. If he's NOT there.. it's just me. This is where it DOES effect me. When he shows up late, it effects the team so other people can start to take their breaks/lunches since we'll be down 1 extra person. Some days we ARE lucky and it's very slow.. other days we need 4 extra people with 4 arms each.
You didn't say this. I thought you guys worked in separate departments or something. Yes, you have every right to be angry or bothered then. I would.

Quote:
Again some of you have to realize I don't bring this up to my manager or anyone else. I'm not going to go to work and whine and complain, but I'm not going to "not feel a certain way". I keep my emotions check AT work.
Good. Don't. I'm sure your manager and everyone else is secretly clocking his comings and goings (at least I hope they are). Heaven forbid there is a major emergency and you can't take care of it cause he was either late or out, yet again. It won't bode well for him.

Quote:
So, I'm going to try something. I just called out. It's been over 3 weeks, I've been there on time.. never called out yet.. but he's been out and late probably too much for a person in a single year.. lol... so I want to see if I get talked to for this. I probably will. LOL @ working while being white in America

I'm gay, so maybe I should show my gayness off.. maybe I'll get away with stuff. Protected classes FTW!1!1!
What happened when you went back to work?

You know, if I was you, I wouldn't automatically assume he's not being spoken to about his behavior. Just because YOU don't see or hear about it, it might be happening behind the scenes out of earshot.

You're still on probation (I assume). Don't "test" the waters as of yet.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:13 PM

lol, i have to bump this

So, it'll be 3 months since I started this job. Most of the things I put in the OP and throughout the thread still apply.
However, that guy I spoke of? Today was his last day...well, at this location. He is being transfered to another location that is closer to home.

This is great since we won't have to pick up the slack anymore from him.. but something about that whole situation really doesn't sit well with me.
I found out he has been with the company for about 10 years. He was moving down to this area, and they didn't have a location for him.. so he resigned. Months later, a position opened (here) and he got it.

Here's my confusion: It's highly likely that he was the same way for the last 10 years at various site locations with the no calls, coming in super late, calling out a lot.. etc...So, how can someone still be employed with the same company after doing all of that? It really, really boggles my mind.

This, basically goes with the whole point of this thread. It's not just how to deal and work with people who just have terrible work attitudes.. but it's people who seem to do whatever they want... and get away with it!!! Could it possibly be because he is black? I mean, I know I'll have 1.2 million people say OMG NO WAY..but could it be that companies just.. ignore the crap they do ~IF~ they are a problem?

:shakes head in confusion::

Old 05-02-2011, 05:51 PM

...new supervisor started today.
He looked at the firm's holidays and noticed Memorial Day's coming up and says "oh we off memorial day? is dat a national holiday or something? is everybody off?"

Affirmative action, you win again. Good job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment