U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-30-2011, 02:16 PM

4,876 posts, read 5,770,809 times

Advertisements

How do you know if you did well at the interview ?

What are some positive signs ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 02:25 PM

126 posts, read 496,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
How do you know if you did well at the interview ?

What are some positive signs ?
Depends how you approached the company. If you went
through a recruiter, your recruiter will give you feedback.

If you went on your own, then if the potential employer
calls you back for another interview or extends an offer.

If you haven't already, be sure to send a thank-you letter
to each of the folks you interviewed with.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:31 PM

1,983 posts, read 2,583,146 times
Ummm, are you serious? I think the way you find out is that the recruiter or employer calls you and says you have the job. A job offer on paper or maybe in email is a pretty good sign. Maybe you'll looking for "Oh you did great! You're just what we're looking for." I bet you the interviewer tells almost everyone the same thing. You can't count on anything until you have a job offer.

I'm pretty sure we just had another thread about this same topic recently.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:50 PM

14,808 posts, read 18,138,230 times
You can't tell, just try to avoid thinking about it until you hear, or you will go nuts worrying about it.

You may have done extremely well, and aced every question, but there may still be someone else who did just a little better. Unfortunately there's no prize for coming in second.

Better to remain cautiously optomistic than to set yourself up for a huge dissapointment if you didn't get it after planning out your commute route
and future vacation plans.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:54 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,477,142 times
I always know the job is mine when they talk about the job as if I will the one who will be doing it instead of talking about the job responsibilities in the abstract.

These are other positive signs:

--Taking me around the office after the interview and introducing me to other people.

--Showing me the facilities---general office space, office for the position, cafeteria, ect.

--Selling me the company by heavily promoting the perks and benefits.

--Clicking with the interviewer. Sometimes you just know when you've made a real connection.

My tactics:

I always make sure I leave knowing where I stand before I leave. I ask specifically how many other people they are considering, when they play to make a decision, etc. Their responses to these types of direct questions are dead give-aways to if you're a top contender or not. I make it clear that I want the job, I know I can do the job, I'm excited about the job, I'm excited about working with them, etc.

In my over 20 years of experience, I've received offers from almost every interview I've had. I can think of two that I didn't get offered and I know EXACTLY what I did wrong in both of those interviews. I had them hook-line-and-sinker up until the very moment I screwed up. Silly me.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:28 PM

111 posts, read 212,649 times
I don't think you can tell until the interview calls you in for a second interview or makes an offer. Interviewing has really changed. I used to believe the signs "Hopes" mentioned were an indication until last November when all this things happened but ... I was told they decided to promote internally. Go figure.

Just keep looking until you have an offer in hand and don't stress yourself trying to figure out how well you did.

Good Luck in your job search!!

Old 01-30-2011, 04:57 PM

1,688 posts, read 2,169,993 times
Really, all you're doing here is trying to read tea leaves. Let's say that you had some way of knowing that you aced your interview- what would you DO with that information? Would knowing you did well increase your chances of being offered the job? No. I know it sucks, but the process is out of your control at this point. There is nothing to do but wait.

I'm not saying this to make you feel bad- I'm in your exact same position as I type this. I aced an interview I had last Monday, and I know this because not only did I feel a connection with my interviewers, but the one who walked me out told me that I did great, came across as genuine, and was definitely qualified. But none of that means that I'll get the job- for all I know, someone else might have come in later in the week and outdid me.

And, for what it's worth, being shown around doesn't necessarily mean anything. I used to work for a supervisor who showed EVERYONE around- probably about 10 or so people in the 5 years I was there. Not one of them got hired.

Good luck to both of us

Old 01-31-2011, 05:59 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,254,070 times
Until you have a firm offer with a start date....you dont. The offer is the only positive sign that matters.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:44 PM

4,876 posts, read 5,770,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I always know the job is mine when they talk about the job as if I will the one who will be doing it instead of talking about the job responsibilities in the abstract.

These are other positive signs:

--Taking me around the office after the interview and introducing me to other people.

--Showing me the facilities---general office space, office for the position, cafeteria, ect.

--Selling me the company by heavily promoting the perks and benefits.

--Clicking with the interviewer. Sometimes you just know when you've made a real connection.

My tactics:

I always make sure I leave knowing where I stand before I leave. I ask specifically how many other people they are considering, when they play to make a decision, etc. Their responses to these types of direct questions are dead give-aways to if you're a top contender or not. I make it clear that I want the job, I know I can do the job, I'm excited about the job, I'm excited about working with them, etc.

In my over 20 years of experience, I've received offers from almost every interview I've had. I can think of two that I didn't get offered and I know EXACTLY what I did wrong in both of those interviews. I had them hook-line-and-sinker up until the very moment I screwed up. Silly me.
All 4 of the above occured. I even met the department manager.

It seems all 3 of us hit it off well. The interview went very well ( while I realize though that it matters if you get an offer or 2nd interview )

I did not ask if others were interviewing for the same position.

He gave me a set day that he would contact me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment