Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:16 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
*waves* Hi Weekend Traveler!
LMAO...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 11:36 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
*waves* Hi Weekend Traveler!
You got that one right

"In Serious Debt" is out already. Now, this person has a new moniker. Sometimes I wonder if it's a person too bored at work or something else

Old 01-31-2011, 11:48 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Where I went to school those skills are part of the package. I am amazed that the OP's school didn't teach a similar curriculum. These are skills that the business world uses now.

Your telling me that the OP who has earned an MBA did not learn how to communicate with others? Can not speak in public or put a presentation together on Power Point? Lacks self confidence around senior management who could be any age?, Can not sell an idea to others, does not understand power and influence in corporate America, lacks the ability to work on a team, Has a problem working with others that are older than him, and the one I really like, lacks time management skills.

What was he doing during the time he earned that MBA? He never put together a presentation? Never spoke in public? Not even in class? What about putting together a proposal and selling that to the class? Why did the OP choose to become an MBA and not discover at some point during the education process that the skills he lacks are a part of the business world?
They may touch on them, but the only way to really get good at these things is to practice them in the real world. For example, how is someone going to get comfortable around upper management without experiencing it for real?

And selling an idea to a class is nice and all, but probably has very little bearing on selling an idea to experienced employees.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:18 PM

859 posts, read 705,347 times
Quote:
This translates into: Your boss is an idiot and feels threatened by you. Unless he is the top boss, keep working hard and he will be gone and you will still be there.

Yes, there are some people who have administrative positions like this form.

Really There are.

But, you can't judge on his boss here because,
First: you don't know his boss very well.
second :you don't know what happened exactly.
Third:
We Should take the possible reasons which are taking place in reality.
Why all this rushes to judge others while absolve ourselves at a time when we " may be" on
a mistake . Every thing we don't know very well about it . We should put a probability for it.

See " Focus on the red text " why are they unsatisfied ?"
although you are hardworking !!
from your describing the problem we can know ,
look

______

Quote:
I just graduated from college last year and am working in my first professional job for a very large highly regarded organization. But I am failing!

In College I was basically a 4.0 student and went through my undergraduate program in 3 years and then moved on to an MBA Program which I also excelled at. I worked for three different organizations as an intern while I was in school but these jobs were solitary in nature because I spent the entire time doing research. I could go the entire day without talking to anyone.

Now I am in my first professional full time position, as an Operations Analyst, and they are extremely happy about my technical skills, the long hours I am putting in and the high quality work products I produce. But I am on performance warning. My boss says I have poor soft skills and do not understand the office politics that need to be played to get things done. I don't understand it. My folks told me that if I worked hard and showed my technical skills to my bosses I would prosper in my career.

What is up with all this talk about soft skills and office politics? Isn't hard work enough?

Jason, a 24 year old recent graduate of the University of Minnesot MBA Program in my first professional job

Quote:

My boss at work says I need to "clean up my act" in these areas if I am going to survive:

Interpersonal business related communications

Office politics (how to get people to do things for me that I have no power over)

Public Speaking and doing presentations in PowerPoint

Showing Self Confidence and poise with senior managers who are as old as my parents

Ability to sell others on my ideas

Understand power and influence in corporate America

Teamwork and ability to work with extremely difficult people

Ability to work with people who are twice or three times my age

Time Management, and getting things done by a deadline

Depending on what the meaning apparent of your saying here , I can say:
You were superior in the studying then, you are hardworking at job and, you are in a suitable place. Because you are feeling inside your self that you are distinctive and know your job well and you can do the required.

Just maybe, some things related with your personality affect on your performance -' if it was right'

I guess, you know what your problem is very well but, maybe, you feel a shock because you are a hardworking and you feel a tired in the work to get a result which you are not accustomed it before.

The first point which you mentioned up" clean up your act" is maybe, the most important thing and has a very negative effect .

Generally, I figure out of your talking

It seems you are working as a solitary in a time that they want you to work with others . As requiring in this work environment. Even if you are able to finish your job with a high quality , But, Don't forget, The time factor is a required , too .

You should expect that you will work with an old people and with different ages and nationalities , too
it's natural thing
What do you expect ?

all of us need to deal with a very old people in a studying ,a job,a hospital ... etc
and at the age of our grandparents or more . So, be more
flexible .

you can accept your parents or grandparents ,sisters, brothers,children why you can't accept others at the job ?
Yes, some times maybe, you find a difficulty to deal with them especially, when they are an opinionated and bossy. But
Try to bear
Try to be Patient
at the end
Watch your act, your dealing, talking.....etc

By the way :Your folks's talking is true
show others that you are existed to not waste your effort. Do not expect that bosses are know everything.
Make them know that you are an important employee .
Then, they can't ever a thinking to cutback you or lose you.

______

Last edited by Authentic Bird; 01-31-2011 at 03:31 PM..

Old 01-31-2011, 03:22 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,400 times
^^^ That has got to be the longest strangest post I have seen in a while.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:25 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
^^^ That has got to be the longest strangest post I have seen in a while.
And I thought that I ranted on about nothing. That post gave me a headache. LOL Maybe it is one of those posts that you need to read several times before yoiu get it. LOL

Old 01-31-2011, 03:29 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
They may touch on them, but the only way to really get good at these things is to practice them in the real world. For example, how is someone going to get comfortable around upper management without experiencing it for real?

And selling an idea to a class is nice and all, but probably has very little bearing on selling an idea to experienced employees.

In addition to that you have a lot of younger people who have no interpersonal skills. They can't deal with people face to face.

You have people now that for instance have never done a transaction with a bank other than using an ATM.

Look at the teenagers now, you see them out and about texting even when they're with family and friends. Never involved with the people they're with, they have become very insular.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:49 PM

859 posts, read 705,347 times

I know , Although I tried to make it appear clearly but, unlucky maybe,still have many mistakes especially,in the structure of the sentences .

Therefor, you see it a long and boring because, you did not understand it very well as I want .

If u can focus and try to understand it you will find it useful not "nothing"
But this is your opinion at the end and I respect it.

My regards

Old 01-31-2011, 04:53 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,617 times
You ever wonder if this forum only consists of a few people with several different user names?

Old 01-31-2011, 05:00 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,637,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
Essentially everything you need work on is everything they don't teach in school. I would highly reccomend getting a hold of some personal developmeent books/cd's and go to work on yourself

I work in a technical field and I have worked with very smart technical people. However they were very ineffective with customers and other employees. In the end if they can't work with people they can't work here.

Book smart means very little in the working world if you don't develop these other qualities.

I know how you are feeling. I was a Manager at 28 and disiplining guys who could be my dad. 8 years later I am still working on some of these things. Its nothing that can be fixed over night. If you continually show progression hopefully you work for a company that sees that and will continue to invest in you.

Good luck. You can message me if you have any direct questions.
Seriously?? School teaches you how to get your work done on time or should be...

Time management is HUGE-- I dont care how smart or brilliant you are but if you can't get anything done-- then you are a weak link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment