Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:44 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Sounds like you have anxiety with a tendancy to compulsively worry about everything.

Have you considered talking to your doctor about it? Therapy and medication can really help at keeping those thoughts under control.
I agree with this. Also, I'm not sure where you live but if you're currently dealing with this miserable winter weather, that also plays a part in a dismal mood. I'm on some mood stabilizers and usually never feel depressed during winter, but this winter in particular is kicking my butt. If you only feel depressed during the winter season, you might have seasonal depression. I suggest you schedule a therapy appointment once your insurance kicks in (if it hasn't already) and see if that would give you some extra relief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 12:11 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBerry84 View Post
Tx everyone, for your helpful comments. I'll most definately avoid making this a routine event - this job is better than my last so I guess I should not let it suffer.
I'm sure those lay offs were planned and not spur of the moment. Don't worry about taking a sick day, you weren't feeling well.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:19 PM

536 posts, read 1,429,811 times
From your posts, I don't see anything wrong with you or with what you did. You seem like a responsible person who feels guilty about having taken a sick day, nothing wrong with that. Don't let everybody here convince you something is wrong, and start prescribing meds just because they think that is the solution for their problems or their relatives. Just keep working hard and taking the job seriously and you should be fine. However, learn to recognize the early signs of burnout and take them seriously too as you don't want to run out of gas. ; )

Old 02-01-2011, 03:12 PM

4,665 posts, read 4,977,549 times
You'll hurt your chances of keeping your job more by obsessing over and apologizing for one sick day than by taking five and coming back to work with the attitude that hey, I took sick days I was entitled to, I needed them, and now I'm back and ready to kick ass at work.

At my first job, I came back from sick days with a very guilty, stressed, and rushed demeanor. All that does is make people think "what the **** is wrong with this kid?"

Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 PM

14 posts, read 28,048 times
Quote:
Sounds like you have anxiety with a tendancy to compulsively worry about everything.

Have you considered talking to your doctor about it? Therapy and medication can really help at keeping those thoughts under control.

My son has an anxiety disorder. He learned many important stress management skills via therapy in the past.

Antidepressants help for everyday stress. Sometimes the only way he can stop his mind from racing during extreme periods of strss is to take a klonopin.
Yes, you would be right there I do have anxiety issues, and have had them for many years. Perhaps developed when I had problems at school with bullying. I think actually thinking this way leads to problems arising that problem were not there in the first place?!

Old 02-01-2011, 06:38 PM

14 posts, read 50,139 times
I got my current job last year. In the first month and a half I had to take a "depression day" (you and I could be twins...). A month after that I got what was likely H1N1 (but they didn't have resources to test at the time, and I wasn't hospitalized). Given the situation back then, it was recommended I stay home for a week, which I did. But I couldn't even get an official doctor's note for work because I was in a busy clinic.

Now H1N1 was a special situation, but it still didn't look great for me to have 6 sick days in less than 3 months employment - with no doctor's note. It was brought up in my first review. But since then (over a year later), I haven't had another unscheduled day off and there's been no residual issues from all that time off back then.

I wouldn't worry about one day. Your boss probably hasn't even given it a second thought and is busy and preoccupied with other things. I just wouldn't make it a pattern, because that's when they start to notice. Depending on how many sick days you get in your company plan, you've likely been more or less "advanced" a sick day. Just try to stay within the company limits of time allowed overall and you should be fine. And yes mental health days are allowed, you don't always have to be sick with the flu.....

Old 02-01-2011, 08:15 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,793 times
i always feel odd the day i come in after missing work due to being sick or faking being sick, etc. half way through i lose the odd felling

Old 02-01-2011, 08:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBerry84 View Post
Yes, you would be right there I do have anxiety issues, and have had them for many years. Perhaps developed when I had problems at school with bullying. I think actually thinking this way leads to problems arising that problem were not there in the first place?!
Exactly! You can worry yourself into physical illness and self fullfilling prophecies!

Do have treatment or do you torture yourself with trying to manage it on your own?

Old 02-02-2011, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
You'll hurt your chances of keeping your job more by obsessing over and apologizing for one sick day than by taking five and coming back to work with the attitude that hey, I took sick days I was entitled to, I needed them, and now I'm back and ready to kick ass at work.

At my first job, I came back from sick days with a very guilty, stressed, and rushed demeanor. All that does is make people think "what the **** is wrong with this kid?"
Yes, I agree with you here. I should just really relax about it... all the timing was a bit screwy. The other issue is.. they don't pay sick pay - so it kind of suggests that they don't tolerate employees being sick, or what?! I knew this before I took the day off anyway. Still, I think in the UK there is statutory sick pay entitlement.. not sure how it works, but I'm exactly going to 'claim' on this occasion!

Old 02-02-2011, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Exactly! You can worry yourself into physical illness and self fullfilling prophecies!

Do have treatment or do you torture yourself with trying to manage it on your own?
Erm, probably both... bit of torture here, a bit of treatment there

I have used anti-depressants or SSRIs in past to help regulate anxiety/low mood and still have some lying around. I try not to use them really though unless things become well and truly unbearable - but then I find I only take them for a few days and try to then 'mentally' battle it myself. Generally I now try to use alternative therapies, such as relaxation, meditation etc.. which feels better in a way.

Another factor was probably down to my diet I think, but its getting better now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment