Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 04:54 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,145,396 times

Advertisements

But putting aside that fact that he was on his cell phone in a public place, the point here is why would HR/interviewer just ignore the interview with the person, notes that the interviewer took during the interview, and there feelings about hiring the person and just automaticly belive these two people who came into there office and told them all of this stuff without any evidence to backup what they are saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 01:44 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkat26 View Post
But putting aside that fact that he was on his cell phone in a public place, the point here is why would HR/interviewer just ignore the interview with the person, notes that the interviewer took during the interview, and there feelings about hiring the person and just automaticly belive these two people who came into there office and told them all of this stuff without any evidence to backup what they are saying.
Yeah, why in the world would anybody believe someone they know and work with over a complete stranger in a situation where people try to put on the best face? It makes no sense to believe someone whose personality and behavior you may have observed for years over someone you just met.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:35 PM

677 posts, read 933,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I guess he lives in the same one as the rest of us. Not so perfect, but all we have. Reality is not at all what it appears on tv.

I am sure he does. He is just smart enough to avoid publishing them in a public forum. Aside from that unfortunate admission that he agrees that the receptionist is hot enough to bang.

Not knowing him or the office politics, I would guess that his motivation was to protect the company that pays his salary so that he can continue to receive said paycheck instead of collecting unemployment as a result of the company going under as a result of mediocre quality, hostile workplace environment when the new guy bangs the receptionist and the girlfriend shows up with a semi-automatic rifle, or when the new guy says something in front of a competitor or investor that puts the company at a disadvantage.
Oh puh-leease, cut me a break with the melodramatics, you're really stretching this a bit.
Companies become bankrupt due to various reasons, usually financial, not behind the list of grievances the op listed. That same company the op works for is the same company that might lay him off someday with or without duly noting his previous loyalty to them, he's just a number like the other employee's, nothing more, nothing less.

I saw no indication that he felt this guy would ever be successful enough to become his boss(you don't know that), so I don't think that was his worry. Loyalty could be an issue, I suppose. Do you count that as a negative quality? In moderation, I think it could be quite positive.
In a previous post I stated loyalty to your employer is a virtue yet there is such a thing as going too far.

I wanted to break this paragraph down to reply to the specific points, but unfortunately there was only one sentence with all of those viewpoints. So, here goes:

1. I am not sure your brownie points are all that much of a loss.
2. Backstabbing requires an act of faith or trust which is broken. No evidence of that in this scenario. In fact, no evidence of wrong doing at all.
Backstabbing is not conclusive to your definition, it also includes doing damage to a persons reputation, ethics, morals, or credibility, in which these two gossip mongers were so eagerly willing to do.
3. Stress levels do account for lack of judgment, but anyone who generates that much stress from interviewing seriously needs to rethink his goals and learn some stress management techniques or they will never be able to function effectively as an employee in that environment.
You have no idea what this man might be going thru, he might've been applying for hundreds of jobs like so many others to no avail, so I wouldn't be so eager to be judgemental of him w/o knowing his background. He spoke of credit card debt & prescriptions he couldn't fill, strong indicators that he's going thru stress.
4. The payback for "playing office snitch" is the satisfaction of protecting his own job by acting in the interest of his workplace and work environment (being the office snitch guarantee's you NOTHING, not job security or promotions, what it does do is prove to your co-workers you're not to be trusted with any personal information about themselves & you should be watched & scrutinized) . In most situations, a workplace becomes like family and families should protect themselves from dangerous influences and careless acts of self destruction such as this interviewer portrayed.
Evidently you've played this role as well, you seem to speak with experience. And this nonsense about the workplace being like family is obviously a fantasy of yours, many employees can't stand their co-workers or boss's, some actually hate them, at best they tolerate each other though few do strike up a actual friendship.
5. If the poster slips up and repeats an admission that the receptionist is "very bangable" in a more directly accountable environment, your wish might come true. Perhaps sooner if he has a wife who reads these forums and knows his logon name.
I have no wishes for the op, & yes that "slip" could do damage to him as well. While he reports the ills of the interviewee his acknowledgement of his own desires just may sink his own ship, so this you & I do agree.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkat26
But putting aside that fact that he was on his cell phone in a public place, the point here is why would HR/interviewer just ignore the interview with the person, notes that the interviewer took during the interview, and there feelings about hiring the person and just automaticly belive these two people who came into there office and told them all of this stuff without any evidence to backup what they are

Quote:
Yeah, why in the world would anybody believe someone they know and work with over a complete stranger in a situation where people try to put on the best face? It makes no sense to believe someone whose personality and behavior you may have observed for years over someone you just met.
How do you know how long the op & his croonie worked for this company? And where is the gut instinct of the HR mgr who reportedly felt the interview went well, does he rely on the feedback of 2 office workers opinions before he makes a decision, cause if so he's not too valuable to his own company now is he?

Old 02-07-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Not so sure about #6. My dad would have hired him just for saying that. If he thinks you are a hardass and still accepts the job, he just said you are allowed to push him harder and farther than usual because he knows it is coming.

Many companies will have varying degrees of comfort with the rest of his data. The credit card debt could be evidence of poor financial skills rather than just a bump in the road, and the fact that he discusses them in a public setting is evidence of a lack of discretion. If he is careless with his own money and privacy, how will he protect the companies?

Depending on the responsibilities of the job many of these disclosures could become an important criticism of his job skills necessary for the position rather than simply embarrassing personal circumstances.
I've asked the op a few times what's in it for you by playing the office snitch/snake/blood hound in which I've received no reply, yet you've got all the answer's for him, funny how he has none.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:21 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
I've asked the op a few times what's in it for you by playing the office snitch/snake/blood hound in which I've received no reply, yet you've got all the answer's for him, funny how he has none.
SassySpice, if you read any of my past post, here and other topics, you will learn that I work for a living. This work takes me away for anywhere from several hours to weeks at a time. Some oplaces we have acces to the internet, others we have limited or no access. I'm not tied to the internet and there are other priorities in my life that comes before answering prior post. I also have a very important and serious role when at work and since they are paying me to work, my task comes before answering your questions.

Let me start with this quick observation. You have thrown out all sorts of assumptions as to what is behind my motives, my role in the company, and even assumptions about the company itself. Yet you dissmiss other people's equal assumptions when it doesn't meet your position on this. I generally find people who resort to that way of behaving are not interested in what people have to say due to a personal involment.

So I belive you once had a job or a prospective job and due to blabbing from the mouth on a cell phone for others to hear, you lost that job and now you blame anyone for that. I was warning others that they need to be very careful when speaking on cell phones because many people are ignorant of the fact that what they are saying can be heard by others and it could have a bad result. However you took it so personally that I am sorry it offended you. I don;t think you want an answer or even care what it is as the fight is all you are interested in.

I do wish you the best of luck on your next interview and hope you do get a job soon.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
SassySpice, if you read any of my past post, here and other topics, you will learn that I work for a living. This work takes me away for anywhere from several hours to weeks at a time. Some oplaces we have acces to the internet, others we have limited or no access. I'm not tied to the internet and there are other priorities in my life that comes before answering prior post. I also have a very important and serious role when at work and since they are paying me to work, my task comes before answering your questions.

Let me start with this quick observation. You have thrown out all sorts of assumptions as to what is behind my motives, my role in the company, and even assumptions about the company itself. Yet you dissmiss other people's equal assumptions when it doesn't meet your position on this. I generally find people who resort to that way of behaving are not interested in what people have to say due to a personal involment.

So I belive you once had a job or a prospective job and due to blabbing from the mouth on a cell phone for others to hear, you lost that job and now you blame anyone for that. I was warning others that they need to be very careful when speaking on cell phones because many people are ignorant of the fact that what they are saying can be heard by others and it could have a bad result. However you took it so personally that I am sorry it offended you. I don;t think you want an answer or even care what it is as the fight is all you are interested in.

I do wish you the best of luck on your next interview and hope you do get a job soon.
I've thrown out assumptions, or is it really my opinions? Either way it's irrelevent cause once again you've failed to answer the question no matter how many times I've asked. Btw you didn't do so bad yourself with your assumptions though they were totally incorrect. So now I will assume this.............you fail to answer the question because your motives are foul, you leave me no choice but to come to this conclusion.
Perhaps on some other topic you & I will agree, but certainly not on this one. You lost this bout, better luck next time.

End of discussion.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:12 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
I've thrown out assumptions, or is it really my opinions? Either way it's irrelevent cause once again you've failed to answer the question no matter how many times I've asked. Btw you didn't do so bad yourself with your assumptions though they were totally incorrect. So now I will assume this.............you fail to answer the question because your motives are foul, you leave me no choice but to come to this conclusion.
Perhaps on some other topic you & I will agree, but certainly not on this one. You lost this bout, better luck next time.

End of discussion.
Unless you have evidence to support your conclusion as fact, then it is necessarily still an assumption. Not to say assumptions are bad, they are just not always correct, so unless you have verifiable evidence your opinions (ie assumptions) are no more or less valid than anyone else's including mine.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:22 PM

49 posts, read 82,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Had a guy intoday interviewing for a job. After he left the ops manager said that person was a great candidate. had all the right experience and education, seemed real nice, easy to talk with and all the other good things.

I went to lunch with coworker and at the resturant was that person. At the end of the 40 minutes he was there, I learned:
1. Had a nasty divorce.
2. Needs to get reprive on monthly credit card debt.
3. His prescription was not approved for refill by doctor.
4. Would like to bang the receptionist at our office. (I don;t blame him )
5. Wants to refinance his car.
6. Think the interviewer was a hard ass.
7. Would rather work for another company that isn't so "quality" oriented.

All this just from his cell phone conversations.
Got back, told manager what we heard, resume in trash.

Why do people give out so much personal information while on the cell phone for others to hear?
Isn't it discrimination to judge someone on their experience and not their ABILITY to do the job in the US? it is in the UK and that infuriates me when people judge someone on experience not ability.

Whats to say someone with 40years experience is better than someone with 2 years experience? not necessarily true. You could have the worste worker ever and just because he has been working in that field for years does not make him better than someone with minimum experience. Granted experience gives you knowledge.

Sorry for the rant but ye that person was an idiot for saying that in public.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:27 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey10 View Post
Isn't it discrimination to judge someone on their experience and not their ABILITY to do the job in the US?
It certainly isn't illegal discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment