Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:00 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The simple act of hiring someone is an investment of time and money. But that really wasn't my point. My point was that constant job hopping will look bad on a resume.
You're wrong because your point lacks context. I can guarantee some of the better engineers in Silicon Valley have jumped jobs more times than I can count and they're in demand. Most of the people I've worked with have been with companies at most 2-3 years. Maybe 20 years back that would be considered job hopping, now it's the norm.

The investment is minimal compared to the investment from 1-2 decades ago. Most companies would dump you if you were there for 3 months and their stock tanked, I see no reason to assume some bizarre level of loyalty in such a case. I guess I'm not one of the people that gets on me knees and thanks our corporate masters for giving me a job so I can make them more money though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 09:09 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
You're wrong because your point lacks context. I can guarantee some of the better engineers in Silicon Valley have jumped jobs more times than I can count and they're in demand. Most of the people I've worked with have been with companies at most 2-3 years. Maybe 20 years back that would be considered job hopping, now it's the norm.

The investment is minimal compared to the investment from 1-2 decades ago. Most companies would dump you if you were there for 3 months and their stock tanked, I see no reason to assume some bizarre level of loyalty in such a case. I guess I'm not one of the people that gets on me knees and thanks our corporate masters for giving me a job so I can make them more money though.
Did you read the OP? He has been there for three weeks. That's what I'm talking about. I think 2-3 years is perfectly fine. Which is obvious because I already posted that.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:14 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
It's a lot easier to job hop when your in demand. I will agree with you there. For most people it looks poor on your resume and you will get passed over for many jobs. The comparison your are making is a little far fetched. Most people do not have the kind of job you are talking about.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:19 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
Quote:
Did you read the OP? He has been there for three weeks. That's what I'm talking about. I think 2-3 years is perfectly fine. Which is obvious because I already posted that.

I like the job I have now but is if part time with no benefits and there is no work in the summer. For the person who said job hopping looks bad on an application there is an easy way to get past that do not put all the jobs you have had down.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:27 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
I like the job I have now but is if part time with no benefits and there is no work in the summer. For the person who said job hopping looks bad on an application there is an easy way to get past that do not put all the jobs you have had down.
And then you will have to explain the gaps in your resume.

And honestly, you should have given more information in your first post. Part time job with no benefits? I guarantee you most people in this thread were not thinking that.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:28 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,270 times
Quote:
And then you will have to explain the gaps in your resume.

And honestly, you should have given more information in your first post. Part time job with no benefits? I guarantee you most people in this thread were not thinking that.
That's what most employers expect isn't it? I've talked to a few career counselors and read quite a few job advice columns. Many of them have preached over and over again 1) Keep your resume at two pages max (unless you're a professional with decades of experience) and 2) Don't include every job on your resume. They told me that resumes should be tailored for the job you want, so you should only add jobs that are pertinent to the position and not your entire job history (unless your job history is limited). Then, if the employer asks you can explain it to them.

I work part-time with no benefits as well. I love this job, but I will be graduating soon and have student loans. This thread does concern me though b/c I've worked only 1 1/2 years at my current job and in previous jobs they normally last at most 2 years. I've never been fired, but I have transferred departments, laid off, quit, or couldn't work there b/c I graduated and only students were allowed to work at the college.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:21 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
I started a job about 3 weeks ago. I like it but I am keeping my eyes open to see if a better one comes up. How long should I have worked at my current job before going to a new job? I want enough time to have worked to show my employer I am a good worker but I if a better job comes up I do not want to miss an opportunity?
If you're there for less than six months and something interesting comes along, you can say that you realized your current job wasn't a good fit once you got there and decided it was better to keep looking. After all, whoever interviews you for a new job now is going to ask why you want to leave your current one so quickly. Hint: "More money" should not cross your lips. Find a better reason.

The trouble starts when you have a string of jobs lasting less than a year each. Then you don't look stable.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
If you're there for less than six months and something interesting comes along, you can say that you realized your current job wasn't a good fit once you got there and decided it was better to keep looking. After all, whoever interviews you for a new job now is going to ask why you want to leave your current one so quickly. Hint: "More money" should not cross your lips. Find a better reason.

The trouble starts when you have a string of jobs lasting less than a year each. Then you don't look stable.

Thanks that is good advice. I am not trying to job hop I am just looking for a better oppurtunity I do not think that is an unreasonable reason to leave a job.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I agree...if the answer is "they paid me more", "it was a better opportunity", "it fit my career better", or anything along those lines then that is a major red flag. You don't want an employee who will leave the second something better comes along.

Good reasons for quitting within 2 years: your family moves (spouse changes jobs), you get laid off, there is a re-organization in your company and your job changes, you have a child and need a different schedule, etc.
I do not see how getting paid more or a better opportunity should be seen as a negative. Would not a employer want someone who was motivated? Are not people told all the time to try to improve their situation if it is not satisfactory?

Old 02-03-2011, 07:00 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
I do not see how getting paid more or a better opportunity should be seen as a negative. Would not a employer want someone who was motivated? Are not people told all the time to try to improve their situation if it is not satisfactory?
There is a great deal of cost associated with hiring someone new. The cost to train them, lost opportunity cost of an experienced team member taking the time to get someone new up to speed, not to mention the 'normal costs' of salary/background checks/drug tests/etc. Simply put, it is expensive to hire someone new, and you want someone who can PRODUCE. You want employees you can trust. If someone is hired, a boss wants to know they can rely on them and not have to constantly worry.

Say a 7 month long project is starting. You need to be confidant that an employee will finish all 7 months of the project, even if a job that pays more comes up in the meantime. It is simply too risky to hire someone who job hops for no reason other than a paycheck.

I want someone who is motivated. I want someone who takes pride in their work, loves taking ownership of projects, and wants to make their job a better place. Those are the people who produce the best results, and those are the people you fight for and try to give raises/bonuses/promotions. The best employees are primarily motivated by things other than money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment