Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 02:45 AM

4 posts, read 28,925 times

Advertisements

Is my employer allowed to ask me to work for two companies during the same exact working hours on the same day? The companies are side by side, but I am required to work both registers and work with both customers at the same exact time. I am the only employee working both jobs at any given time. Am I entitled to more pay? Is this even legal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 02:51 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,241 times
I don't see how that's possible without cloning yourself. Even then, both of you would get a paycheck.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:21 AM

Instead of hiring another person to work the other store, they are requiring one person to operate both.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:28 AM
JS1

Is this for real? You can't be in two places at the same time.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:02 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
It's not illegal, but might be pretty stupid on behalf of the employer depending on the exact circumstances. No, you are not entitled to more pay.

Is this two companies that operate under the same roof but have seperate registers next to each other for bookeeping purposes? I know of a store where one half sells one type of merchandise and the other sells a different type, and they share the space equally but are two seperate entities owned by the same people. If that's the case, what's the big deal, you have to walk from one side of the store to the other. Be glad to have a job.

If it's two seperate buildings, then how do they manage loss prevention issues?

I think we need more info.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:11 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
If the stores are separate entities are owned by the same company, it's not illegal.

If the stores aren't under the same parent-company umbrella, you should be receiving separate checks from each company.

But your pay would be split by a percentage between the two, not necessarily more money unless they valued you enough to compensate you more.

It's not a right to earn more money simply due to logistics.

I agree that we need more details.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:37 AM

They are open stores side by side in a busy mall, they sell two different merchandise, one business operates under one name, then the other operates under another. So loss prevention is a major issue due to not being able to see the other store at times when helping customers. The schedule before the store was open was one employee at one store and one employee at the other. So two different employees operating at the same time. Now the store is open, they are requiring one employee to operate both. They would not technically be operated under the same roof. It is two separate rent cost, and two separate locations. However, I have worked the first job enough to know that it is hectic for one person to work alone as it is. Story is this, I have been working for a base pay of less than minimum wage, for about 3 months now, then the company cuts hours to hire and train a new employee that automatically jumps in to management within 3 weeks of hire date, which was 3 weeks ago, they have taken me completely off the schedule to accommodate the new employee, and now require that I take responsibility of two separate stores that would normally take two people. My manager has not explained this too me, however, my co-workers are experiencing this right now. I have no training on the other store at all, I don't know the information for the new product and will not be trained at all. And my first day back is an open to close shift.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Sounds like you're under 20 years old. After 90 days, they are required to pay you minimum wage unless you fall into another category below.

Quote:
The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires payment of at least the federal minimum wage to covered, nonexempt employees. However, a special minimum wage of $4.25 per hour applies to employees under the age of 20 during their first 90 consecutive calendar days of employment with an employer. After 90 days, the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires employers to pay the full federal minimum wage.

Other programs that allow for payment of less than the full federal minimum wage apply to workers with disabilities, full-time students, and student-learners employed pursuant to sub-minimum wage certificates. These programs are not limited to the employment of young workers.

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/003.htm (broken link)

Old 02-03-2011, 08:03 AM

335 posts, read 1,310,940 times
As the saying goes "the handwriting is on the wall". Move on to an employer who will treat you right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchie86 View Post
Story is this, I have been working for a base pay of less than minimum wage, for about 3 months now, then the company cuts hours to hire and train a new employee that automatically jumps in to management within 3 weeks of hire date, which was 3 weeks ago, they have taken me completely off the schedule to accommodate the new employee, and now require that I take responsibility of two separate stores that would normally take two people. My manager has not explained this too me, however, my co-workers are experiencing this right now. I have no training on the other store at all, I don't know the information for the new product and will not be trained at all. And my first day back is an open to close shift.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:17 PM
JS1

What a moron manager! From their perspective, the risky part of this is that an unscrupulous individual would take advantage of that opportunity and schedule a shoplifting ring to be at one store while you're at the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment